• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[OFFICIAL] LG G3 Updates/Speculation Thread

i googled the updates news for the G3 (as well as others) but the USA G3s on all carriers don't seem to have any news about Lollipop. in fact there is plenty regarding the UK, and other overseas countries just now getting theirs still, but all the news regarding the USA is weeks out of date. so far 4.4.2, being now six versions behind, is still the most current on my G3. and now it's the middle of January.

The odd thing though is that there is current news suggesting the USA variants of the G2 are getting theirs, but still nothing regarding the G3 for the USA market. i'm not interested in the G2 getting the G3 flat design so i'm not even bothering to check for an update on mine.

Upvote 0
so far there is zero news about the USA variants. so far i'm not sure the USA will ever get one until it's a year out of date. that's been the standard fare with Samsung and LG shares some similar software design and stuff with Samsung (being the Optimus UI does seem to remind me of TouchWiz) so i wouldn't be surprised if the G3 here gets lollipop one year later kinda like the Galaxy S3 getting KitKat a year after it was released.

The only news is weeks out of date and suggests the USA variants get Lollipop 'before the end of the year' but seeing as it's now January 17, and seeing as my G3 still shows it's up to date despite running six versions behind on KitKat 4.4.2, that would appear to prove that news wrong. but then that news is dated Nov 14 and Dec 15 so nothing new is showing.

Upvote 0
The G2 has announcements, but all articles state that the G3 will get it before the G2. Still, i'm not in that much of a hurry. Actually, I'm going to run the latest version of Eclipse ROM from Nitro. I've ran his ROMs before on previous phones (such as my Droid X2 and Droid RAZR MAXX). His ROMs are stock-based with some AOSP elements thrown in. In this version for the G3, he leaves the G3 camera (whereas others will replace it with the Google camera or AOSP version which are usually inferior), but replaces other pieces with AOSP versions and removes a lot of bloat as well.

I'll probably stick with that until LP is stabilized on this phone. Currently, reports are, that LP is still having issues. I know on my N7 running 5.0.2, it still slows down after so many hours of use and I have to reboot in order to make it run smoothly again.

With this phone on stock KK, that never is an issue. If an app is running slow, I can exit out and restart it, but currently, the only one that does this to me is Game of War and apparently everyone has this issue, including iPhone users, so it's the app in this case, not the phone.

Reactions: markfm
Upvote 0
I would be happy if the g3 would get to 4.4.4 so it can fix some of the 4.4.2 issues in regarding meta data through bluetooth transfers. I rooted and played with the lollipop vanilla version and I am pleased with the new features but it seems to me that all aosp roms have issues with bluetooths either dropping out of range quicker or connections not being fully stable, that and I missed having the stock camera experience, google cam is fun but I feel like it under performed every time I used compared to the stock camera app I had with 4.4.2 with what LG built in. But all in all im happy with kit kat just wish we had the .4 version instead of the .2

Upvote 0
http://www.androidcentral.com/lollipop-update-sprint-htc-one-m8-set-feb-13-lg-g3-feb-16

sprint-lp-release-schedule-leak.jpg

Reactions: KOLIO and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
my phone (AT&T) is downloading 5.01.. 689.5MB..
The download is very slow.. Will report back when it is fully installed and running..
Please do! I am on AT&T also, and I really am not in a hurry to update until I hear whether it is stable or causing problems, etc... I've been burned too many times by jumping on updates immediately... Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Upvote 0
The installation process takes about 25 minutes from start to finish, and than it forces you to update play services. Once all is done it works fine. It behaves like a new phone, where it feels like there's stuff still going on in the background, but it is getting better by the minute.

A couple of improvement/fixes I noticed right off the bat.
  • The Gallery (stored on the SD card) is now opening right away, with no spinning wheel delay.
  • The GPS is locking faster.
  • When shooting with HDR on, you can now return to home screen without waiting for the photo to process
So far I did not find anything that broke or worsened as a result of the update.

That is so far.. Ill continue to update if I find anything significant..

P.S. by the time I finished testing/setting the phone and compiling this post, all the UI hesitation I experienced the first minutes of operation is now gone. The phone runs smooth and snappy..

Reactions: Jdub333
Upvote 0
The installation process takes about 25 minutes from start to finish, and than it forces you to update play services. Once all is done it works fine. It behaves like a new phone, where it feels like there's stuff still going on in the background, but it is getting better by the minute.

A couple of improvement/fixes I noticed right off the bat.
  • The Gallery (stored on the SD card) is now opening right away, with no spinning wheel delay.
  • The GPS is locking faster.
  • When shooting with HDR on, you can now return to home screen without waiting for the photo to process
So far I did not find anything that broke or worsened as a result of the update.

That is so far.. Ill continue to update if I find anything significant..

P.S. by the time I finished testing/setting the phone and compiling this post, all the UI hesitation I experienced the first minutes of operation is now gone. The phone runs smooth and snappy..

Thanks for the update! I'm still a little hesitant, but I know I'll probably go ahead and update when I get home in an hour or so.... lol

Please post again if you do notice any problems!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones