• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Metro GSM device/network/Tmobile-ish discussion thread

Thanks, one more thing I've wondered. If I run the Sensorly app, will I be able to map coverage for T-Mobile, even though I'm still with Metro?

How sensorly maps it'll show up as tmobile
It reads the network ID which tmobiles towers broadcast and your metro phone is reading the same ID. So they pull the ID (310-260) and then the network type HSPA, LTE etc

Upvote 0
Look like I am not the only sitting out to change into the Nexus 5 on MetroPCS on the BYOD... I have already asked MetroPCS on facebook regarding Nexus 5 and this is what I got.. :
Hello XXXXXXXXXXX- To your first question, looks like The Nexus 5 at this time is not compatible. However we are adding new phones regularly. You can follow the link below to check for available handsets. Bring Your Own Phone | SIM Card | BYOD | Unlimited Data | No Contract Phone | MetroPCS | MetroPCS .

NOT that I expected anything different .. but you know it was worth a shot.. How long do you guys think it will take MetroPCS to consider it an eligible device? Launch Date?

Upvote 0
Look like I am not the only sitting out to change into the Nexus 5 on MetroPCS on the BYOD... I have already asked MetroPCS on facebook regarding Nexus 5 and this is what I got.. :
Hello XXXXXXXXXXX- To your first question, looks like The Nexus 5 at this time is not compatible. However we are adding new phones regularly. You can follow the link below to check for available handsets. Bring Your Own Phone | SIM Card | BYOD | Unlimited Data | No Contract Phone | MetroPCS | MetroPCS .

NOT that I expected anything different .. but you know it was worth a shot.. How long do you guys think it will take MetroPCS to consider it an eligible device? Launch Date?

A lot of phones aren't on there but you can still just go activate it

Upvote 0
A lot of phones aren't on there but you can still just go activate it

I figured that might be the case... When I go to activate the Nexus 5 .. do they then choose what bands my phone will be able to access or is that carrier side.. I am trying to get the maximum coverage by allowing the Nexus 5 access all available bands assuming one is not available to move on to the other etc..

Upvote 0
Here's an update on the good stuff happening in the invisible world of spectrum

Dallas is currently in the process of combining as there are some areas with metro CDMA/LTE subscribers getting into the 10x10 network... funny thing is they haven't combined the old 5x5 block metro was using as Dallas was already previously 10x10 so I believe it'll be one of the 1st 20x20 markets for tmo

Upvote 0
Onto NYC, my buddy over on HoFo posted this
upune2u8.jpg

That's showing the Metro CDMA/LTE (311-660) sim is using both the tmobile network and the old metro lte network so that means they will be combining real soon and turning on 10x10

Upvote 0
So, I've mapped pretty much the entire city I live in (San Luis Obispo) on Sensorly. Someone recently began mapping T-Mobile LTE; I've been comparing and have noticed ever place they've mapped T-Mobile, it's weaker than Metro's LTE.

Also, where people have mapped 2G/3G for T-Mobile, in many areas it's weaker than Metro's CDMA.

What the hell gives? I'm having second thoughts about switching now.

Upvote 0
So, I've mapped pretty much the entire city I live in (San Luis Obispo) on Sensorly. Someone recently began mapping T-Mobile LTE; I've been comparing and have noticed ever place they've mapped T-Mobile, it's weaker than Metro's LTE.

Also, where people have mapped 2G/3G for T-Mobile, in many areas it's weaker than Metro's CDMA.

What the hell gives? I'm having second thoughts about switching now.

For now the tmobile LTE they're mapping is different than the metro LTE you're mapping
T-Mobile LTE is currently being broadcast from a few antennas and at low power while metro was done with it's LTE rollout and had an antenna on basically all its towers but signal strength isn't everything with 1 bar I get 20mbps on tmo but on metro with 4 could never top 12mbps
And as tmobile goes back and fills in the signal strength will be much better

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones