• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[OFFICIAL]MHL - Looks like microUSB - all HDMI info here

i have the MHL adapter. connected it to one of my 50 inch panna 3D plasmas and nothing happened.. not a thing... used a latest spec HDMI cable.. tried two... all my HDMI patches come from monoprice..

wow....
wonder where the problem is.... HDMI cable and your TV seem like obvious rule-outs. so.... MHL adaptor or phone...

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
OK im an idiot...

i have it working.. you MUST connect the power usb patch cord to the MHL adapter in order to get the gag to work...

IMG_20110623_210306.jpg

Upvote 0
Howdy folks, new to android coming from a Pre *hanging head in shame*:eek:, I've looked around and I can't find an exact answer to my question. Will I be able to mirror Netflix/Blockbuster/HTC Watch movies on my TV via HDMI (understand can't right now via DLNA)? Really hoping so so I can, avoid running more CAT5 or buying a wireless adpater for PS3. Much Thanks. (Mods please move to appropriate thread if I missed it.. I wear glasses for a reason!).:D

Upvote 0
looking at the sprint lady video earlier, she only had a micro to full hdmi cable, so perhaps you can get JUST the micro to hdmi cable and be done with it. someone much smarter than I will post if this is true or not.

Thought from left field here: Maybe the MHL cable requires external power to function? Not being on the scene, I can't tell. It does sound reasonable from a certain perspective if, on a normal MHL setup, the TV is providing the charge for the MHL where in this case the MHL is at the junction and needs a secondary power source. Something akin to a standalone DVD player versus the one in the computer. I need external power to the standalone to function whereas the computer power supply foots the bill for the internalized one.

All just a guess, mind you. I really have no evidence one way or the other :thinking:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
good guess. I have had this adapter for some time and when i finally got the phone Wednesday i was THINKING about using the charger on it but i did not see anywhere that stated you had to send power thru it. i thought the power charging was just a feature of the MHL enabled displays and as long as you had the phone with a good charge on it that it was no big deal.. that was my thinking--again im not educated on the MHL spec so its probably written in there somewhere as you may have posted emmex.. nevertheless, i should have just plugged it up anyway to test!:D i even had HTC on the line.. she was clueless of course. i finally said.. "well let me see if plugging up the charger will help..."

BOOM... it did... and you may be correct in your thinking EMM.. ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Ok I was just referred to this thread to this thread to ask my question so excuse me if it has already been answered.

I have a 3DTV and I would like an Evo3D to 3DTV HDMI chord, does anybody have a link to what I would need? Also a link to where I could get an extra E3D to USB chord. I know Amazon and Monoprice, but I'm not used to owning devices with the type of connector that the E3D needs so I don't want to make any mistakes. I mean it's an easy enough mistake to make that people working for phone companies made it at E3 when I told them that I was getting an Evo3D and they gave me what they said would be an E3D to HDMI connector, and it ended up not fitting. So that's why I'm asking if somebody could directly link me to a page so I don't just go, oh that looks right and buy the wrong thing.

Upvote 0
whatever your evo is sending out will be sent to the 3d display. so if you send 3D you will see it on your display.

it would help others if they did scan this thread especially the last couple pages around the 21st of this month. i have the adapter and i played GH movie form the handset to a panna 50 inch 3D plasma display. the panna immediately recognized the content as 3D and activated 3D mode.

Upvote 0
whatever your evo is sending out will be sent to the 3d display. so if you send 3D you will see it on your display.

it would help others if they did scan this thread especially the last couple pages around the 21st of this month. i have the adapter and i played GH movie form the handset to a panna 50 inch 3D plasma display. the panna immediately recognized the content as 3D and activated 3D mode.
Did you need an HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 cable for 3D to work?

Upvote 0
This hdmi is becoming more trouble than it's worth to me. I bought a cable from the sprint store yesterday which i would come to find only works with the og. on top of that all of my tvs have dvi so I bought an adapter as well from best buy only to find out that the hdmi cable doesn't fit in the first place.

Ugh

Upvote 0
so there are some of you who have purchased a micro usb to full size HDMI cable and it does not work?

in regards to the MHL adapter, for me, it was a no brainer. I have a couple of latest spec HDMI cables thick gauge and all i needed was the MHL adapter. Did not make sense for me to purchase another cable.
I think it's a matter of getting an all new cable for a couple bucks as opposed to an adapter for them for 16-20.

Upvote 0
I think it's a matter of getting an all new cable for a couple bucks as opposed to an adapter for them for 16-20.

Taking that shortcut removes your ability to charge while viewing - an important issue as driving an external display, especially in 3D, is likely to not be power stingy.

MHL is new, and if anyone's willing to guinea pig the MHL -> HDMI cable, that's great - but I for one won't assume it works because they're selling them. I'm just saying, you know.

Upvote 0
id rather have the MHL adapter over the micro to hdmi cord considering what I have read up on the adapter at the MHL site and from videos... 17 dollars is nothing when you have a 600 dollar phone and want to watch BD rips in 3D with the best path possible. im led to believe the MHL adapter is where its at.. ;)

Ok I got the MHL Adapter from T-Mobile and just cannot get it to work? Any tips or tricks?

Nevermind: I did the same bonehead thing you did and didn't have power connected to it. me must to read next time

Upvote 0
Ok I got the MHL Adapter from T-Mobile and just cannot get it to work? Any tips or tricks?

Nevermind: I did the same bonehead thing you did and didn't have power connected to it. me must to read next time

I ordered the MHL adapter last week from tmobile, however the tracking number is still not working even though I got an email saying that the item shipped. Did you have the same problem with the tracking number. What company delivered it (UPS, USPS?).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones