• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

The only thing I don't like is the space between the bottom of the screen and the buttons...just for the stupid VZW logo!?!?!? Come on! The phone is pretty long to begin with. Was that totally necessary? Really?!??! They could have shortened the phone to have the buttons flush with the screen, and add their logo to the little area UNDER the buttons. That's dead space anyway!

Upvote 0
The only thing I don't like is the space between the bottom of the screen and the buttons...just for the stupid VZW logo!?!?!? Come on! The phone is pretty long to begin with. Was that totally necessary? Really?!??! They could have shortened the phone to have the buttons flush with the screen, and add their logo to the little area UNDER the buttons. That's dead space anyway!

I sure there is a reason for this space but I agree, it'd be nice if they did away with that and made the phone a litter shorter.

Upvote 0
Hey been busy. Battery lasted all day yesterday and I was constantly on it. Im not running any task managers. and i dont have push email enabled.
With all the pics and info lately, i see others have also gotten their hands on the phone so here you go with some stuff u havent heard..

No front facing camera
Magnet sensors trigger dock and car mount modes
Quadrant System info reads..
CPU (if i keep refreshing the current cpu freq modulates)
  • Name: ARMV7 Processor Rev 2 (V7i)
  • Current Req: 1000mhz
  • Max req: 1000MHZ
  • Min FReq: 300 MHZ
  • Cores - 1
  • Architecture:7
  • BogoMIPS: 598.90
  • Hardware: Mapphone_CDMA
  • Revision:2
OPENGL
  • Vendor: IMAGINATION TECHNLOGIES
  • Renderer: PowerVR SGX 530
  • Version: OpenGL ES-CM 1.1
1500mAh battery
No Sim Slot
Power button and Home button wake the screen when locked

Peace out..

Upvote 0
AWESOME! Thanks! I just hope the 4.3" measurement doesn't include the glass part with black plastic under it (aka the part that isn't actually lcd screen). That would be a pretty big fail/let down. That wouldn't be the case, right? *pulls out his gun and sets it on the table* RIGHT?!

4.3 is the LCD corner to corner. The glass is bigger.

Mad

Reactions: kwest12
Upvote 0
whoa. 4.3"? Lot of other people who have had playtime with it have been saying 4.1". Thoughts?

Well regardless of the original 4.1" reports, apparently it is now 4.3" b/c maddigital actually has the Droid X.

@maddigital, if you don't mind to much, could you possibly measure the height and width of the LCD? (Sorry, I should have asked that the first time... I kinda forgot that all companies tend to use their own aspect ratios).

Upvote 0
Speaking for all of the grandfathers out there who want to see their grandchildren on the phone calls, I am extremely disappointed with No Front Facing Camera. I am a long time VZ customer and was really looking forward to this phone. They have probably just forced me to leave.

I understand where you're coming from and I'm there with you when it comes to video calling. I think I know why a front facing camera hasn't been included though. In most places I've been, Verizon speed are typically about 1.5Mbps and about .5Mbps up (obviously your experience may vary).

Have you ever tried doing a video chat at speeds like that? I have, and tbh, it's pretty darn crappy... and that is on a hardwired line hooked into my computer. Just think about trying to do that on a smartphone... obviously they aren't as quick on the hardware side as most of today's computers and you also are trying to utilize a connection that isn't as reliable as a hardwired line.

The point is that I believe Verizon knows that allowing video chat over its 3G network will disappoint a lot of people and probably put undue strain on the network. It makes sense to reserve this for the LTE network which will have speeds that will easily handle this.

Take a look at the iPhone 4G. I'm willing to bet that they'll eventually enable video calling over AT&Ts 4G network, but until then, I'll bet they continue to limit it to over Wifi.

Upvote 0
I understand where you're coming from and I'm there with you when it comes to video calling. I think I know why a front facing camera hasn't been included though. In most places I've been, Verizon speed are typically about 1.5Mbps and about .5Mbps up (obviously your experience may vary).

Have you ever tried doing a video chat at speeds like that? I have, and tbh, it's pretty darn crappy... and that is on a hardwired line hooked into my computer. Just think about trying to do that on a smartphone... obviously they aren't as quick on the hardware side as most of today's computers and you also are trying to utilize a connection that isn't as reliable as a hardwired line.

The point is that I believe Verizon knows that allowing video chat over its 3G network will disappoint a lot of people and probably put undue strain on the network. It makes sense to reserve this for the LTE network which will have speeds that will easily handle this.

Take a look at the iPhone 4G. I'm willing to bet that they'll eventually enable video calling over AT&Ts 4G network, but until then, I'll bet they continue to limit it to over Wifi.

Yes, I guess you're right. With all of the recent publicity re: front facing cameras, I have probably built it up in my mind to be better quality than it probably will be, at least initially. I just don't want to be in a situation where I get this phone and then for the next 2 years regret that I don't have that feature. I don't want to leave Verizon because both ATT & Sprint are unreliable in my area and i have not had a call dropped by VZ in many years. So I now have to decide whether to get this or continue to wait for the next great phone that has all of the features I want.
BTW, the Motorola CEO said this week that even though he is not a fan of front facing cameras, they will produce 2-4 phones with front facing cameras before the end of the year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones