1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Official New to Android Thread (coming from iPhone)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by amaranojr, Feb 16, 2011.

1. amaranojr

amaranojr Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    i didnt see a thread like this so if there is, mods delete it.

im coming from Apple. Had every iphone since the original one. In between ive had only a blackberry bold for a short amount of time before going from the 3G to 3GS. Now i went from the iPhone 4 to this. Im really liking it. For other apple jumpers ill post my pros/cons as well as apps ive downloaded.

Pros:
    -huge screen.
    -so easy to use. since im brand new to android i have no prior knowledge but ive been able to pick up on everything because i feel like whatever i think the phone should do it already does.
    -htc sense
    -google chat
    -widgets. i love being able to just slide to the left screen and activate my wifi. so simple. the google widget and youtube widget are great as well.
    -navigation. actually does turn by turn outloud. im not sure if this is a trial or its free, can someone confirm?
    -LOVE that i can sync my music through itunes wirelessly through iSyncr Wifi Lite

Cons:
    -Battery. i dont know if i have a faulty battery or i just use my phone too much...but the iphone 4's battery honestly blows this one away. Came off a full charge 2 hours ago and im down to 80% battery life. my screen display brightness is set to around 30% and my screen is set to time out after 30 seconds. through battery indicator it says that 75% of my battery use is just from the display????!
    -SCREEN SHOTS/CAPTURES- a big form of my communication between friends was through screen shots. funny things mostly i was able to just simply screen shot and send...i cant do that anymore now.
    -Internet Speeds- i feel like my iphone 4 was faster on the internet. kind of upsetting since this phone has 4G in its name. i understand the whole 4g speeds dilemma, but it should be at least AS FAST as the iphone.
    -the speaker is not as loud as the iphone4s. i could hear my phone ring from a mile away, not so much with this phone.
    -despite it having an 8megapixel camera i feel that it is so-so. not better than iphone4 but not really worse.

APPS ive downloaded:
    -handcent sms (emoji plugin)
    -isyncr wifi
    -dolphin browser hd
    -advanced task killer
    -battery indicator
    -astro

basically my biggest gripe is the battery. as much as i love the phone i dont know if this is going to cut it for me. any help?

if i think of anything else ill add but thats basically where i am after having the phone since Sunday.

Advertisement

2. jayman2889

jayman2889 Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    are you actually killing apps every now and then? Hurts battery life.

3. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    South of Titletown
    Agreed. Remove the task killer, it's really not needed.

4. amaranojr

amaranojr Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    thats funny i just removed the app right before you replied. lets see how it goes now

5. amaranojr

amaranojr Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    also...which browser works the best. i think ive tried them all. i like skyfire because it loads the desktop versions but i feel like it it a bit laggy.

6. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    South of Titletown
    Also, you can't judge the battery from just a few days. IMO, you need to cycle the battery three times initially and then use normally. It was 2 weeks before my Aria battery went from "pure crap" to "pretty decent".

You'll probably never get iPhone levels though.

7. stancrazy

stancrazy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011

Dophin HD has a webtop option as well. That way you can watch tv from tv.com on it :)

I prefer it because the gestures come in way handy for scrolling to the top of the page/bottom of the page..or. I just gester "T" on it and it goes to tv.com etc...way better than having to use a favorites folder..

8. thoffland

thoffland Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Arizona
    +1 for dolphin hd

9. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 5, 2011
    California & Tokyo
    From reading reviews Handcent eats up processor threads like they are going out of style. That might be it too. The whole using a 3rd party app for SMS freaks me out a bit, how do I know all my texts don't end up on their servers.

10. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    I have xscope and firefox on my phone but I actually like the default browser so that's what I use.

11. NOLAlove212

NOLAlove212 Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    New Orleans

What do you mean by "cycle" it? I was told to not let it get down to 15% everyday but to only do it once a month. I would like to know your opinion on this also.

12. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    South of Titletown
    I guess there's multiple opinions on this topic, but I've always done this three times with every new battery: charge to 100% and then run it all the way down until it turns off.

13. stancrazy

stancrazy Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Same here except i usually throw it on the charger at around 3% because ive been using it soo much and didnt want it to die on me... :(