1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support [Official] OTA update thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rxpert83, Mar 9, 2015.

1. questionfear

questionfear Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2014
    I've noticed everyone else seems to be up to 6.0.1, but my Nexus 6 is still at 5.1.1. It used to belong to a friend who passed it on to me-he was on T-Mobile and I am on Verizon, so the last update appears to have been LYZ28M, which from a quick google appears to be the T-Mo build.

Is that why I'm not getting an update, because it's a bit confused by the version vs the SIM? If so, how do I go about updating? I haven't mucked around in rooting/roms etc in years, so if anyone has an idiot's guide to forcing the OTA/manually installing it, please advise!

One question as a corollary-he sent it to me wiped, but it looked like he skipped setup and just sent it with no accounts logged in but already booted and past the initial setup screen. So I just popped my SIM in and started...should I have wiped it again first and then set it up from a hard reset? Should I try that method before anything else?

Advertisement

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Take your SIM out, factory reset the phone, then put the SIM back in and try from there. It should install Verizon versions of 6.0 then 6.0.1.

scary alien likes this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2014
    Thanks!

Just so I'm clear:

1) Take out SIM
    2) Factory reset phone
    3) Insert VZW SIM
    4) Run initial setup and it should update from Verizon?

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Hopefully, it will update correctly but I make no guarantees. You have the steps right. Pretty simple.

5. questionfear

questionfear Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2014
    I won't hold you responsible if it fails, but even if it doesn't work it seems like a fairly straightforward process, and not much risk beyond having to get a few apps up and running. Thanks!

OK so this was a bit odd.

I reset the phone and didn't put my sim in right away, and it offered to download marshmallow but then just sat at "waiting to download marshmallow" for a good 1/2 hour. When I put my sim in, suddenly there were no updates available.

So I reset it again, this time putting the sim in during setup. Still no update, BUT it downloaded MyVerizon and Visual Voicemail, so I guess that means it assimilated my phone into the vzw network. Now that the phone appears to have properly registered with Verizon I think I will give it a few days in case it takes a little time to trigger updates. It seems somewhat promising that it recognized and downloaded verizon-specific software.

jigwashere and Crashdamage like this.
  6. Sept1967

Sept1967 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 28, 2015
    Male
    I was in the same boat. I got new Nexus6 , was on Tmobile. Switched to Sprint. Worked great, but no updates.
    It was probably the version Tmobile updated my phone to (LYZ28N). So there was no update path from Sprint.

I left it for all this month, no marshmallow. Removed sim, factory reset, wifi, ect...no updates. I got tired of waiting, and loaded the factory mmb29k image last night. One would think, being a Nexus, they should be able to still update OTA from different carriers. My phone was factory unlocked from BestBuy. What is the point of having an unlocked Nexus, if your carrier can pigeonhole you into a firmware that cant be updated cross carriers.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I've pretty much given up on OTA's. Even when they do arrive "over-the-air" it's just a big hassle. I'll either grab the OTA file and update via adb or just flash the factory firmware.

@questionfear, since you don't have a great deal of configs and app data, you might consider just flashing the latest factory firmware for 6.01. Here's the process. ;)

8. questionfear

questionfear Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2014
    I was actually able to sideload 6.0 via ADB, and then it grabbed 6.0.1 OTA immediately after rebooting.

Agreed that it's weird for a Nexus to get carrier pigeonholed, but it was easy enough to fix.

9. Sept1967

None

Mar 28, 2015
    Male
    Its easy enough, now that I have done it :)

But I just expected more, from a "Nexus". That used to be the whole point. You get updates direct, and first.
    Introducing these "carrier" builds from Google, really mucks up the works.

5.1.0 (For T-Mobile ONLY) (LMY47M)
    5.1.1 (All carriers except T-Mobile US) (LMY47Z)
    5.1.1 (For Project Fi ONLY) (LVY48C)

Its like having a car, with factory service included, and then still having to change the oil youself :)

Not what I paid for........such is life

jj14x likes this.
  10. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    @Sept1967 I agree. For updates, I do prefer the way Apple handles it. With them, all devices get the updates on day 1. I understand Google's reasoning - phased rollout part at least (not the carrier specific builds - that is just crappy).

To get the best of both the worlds, I think a better way would be to make the update available to everyone on day 1 - but don't push it out to everyone on day 1 - do it in a phased rollout as it is done today. But if an impatient person (like me) wants the update, let me go to the "check for updates" screen and if I click it, push the update to me!

This way, a majority of the folks (that are likely not even aware of new updates being released, and don't care) will get the updates in a phased rollout, while the enthusiasts that are waiting around drooling for a specific fix that will be addressed in the next update can get the update when they want.

John Hopper, lunatic59 and Sept1967 like this.
  11. AirPirate

AirPirate Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Pilot
    Atlanta
    FYI for those on Verizon, I have a formerly ATT N6, build LMY48Z. Many have suggested that removing the sim and doing a FDR will clear the build version and allow for a Verizon OTA to 6.0. Not true in my case. After removing sim, doing a factory reset, and rebooting, the build was still LMY48Z. No update available to 6.0.

So, I don't see a 6.0 version available for LMY58Z. Does this matter? Can I select some other version (N7)? Like many of the Nexus faithful, I am really disappointed in this situation.

I know this has been discussed before, but I have to ask: If I flash 6.0, will I then need to reflash every month for the security updates?

12. jwbeeler

jwbeeler Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    There is no need to flash for security updates in the future as you are on the "official" build. You will receive automatice updates.

You can flash MMB29S (latest build) from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

13. 326

326 Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Finally got my update from 5.1.1 yesterday as I went straight to 6.0.1. Everything seems pretty smooth so far. Liking the update to the camera app. I did send feedback asking why I had not received the update yet, not sure if that had anything to do with getting it when I did. Considering it has been out for a while, I still find it a little confusing but happy now none the less.

Edit - Bought phone unlocked. Service is through AT&T.

14. nx1977

nx1977 Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    Enjoy the Wifi battery drain

15. 326

326 Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm not having a WiFi battery issue. Still enjoying the update.

16. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    I think AT&T delayed the updates - a lot of N6 owners with AT&T SIMs got the update in the past week or so.

Assuming your N6 is having WiFi battery drain, have you tried clearing the cache partition? And perhaps try rebooting your phone (if you haven't done so already)?
    Like 326, I've not encountered any unusual WiFi battery drain on my N6

326 likes this.
  17. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
    Under your bed
    I have not received any updates since I flashed 6.0 ... o_O no security updates, no OTA for 6.0.1 nuttin. I am on an ATT N6 so I had assumed they were just taking their time as usual, but now that it's almost February .... Was starting to wonder.

Guess I will flash 6.0.1 this weekend and see if that gets me mah security updates.... Oh Google and AT&T why can't you just consummate your marriage and allow us to live free?

jj14x likes this.
  18. josephguy82

josephguy82 Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2015
    I think most of the people who have the wifi issue are owners of the att n6, I have the n6 I got from Motorola so the update is different no issues

19. Sept1967

None

Mar 28, 2015
    Male
    Do security updates come from the carrier, or Google (when carrier approved). I manually flashed factory image 6.0.1 to mine in Dec, and just last week got the Jan security patch - from Sprint?

Im happy to let the security patches come, when they do. Im not going to manually flash those....

20. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
    Under your bed
    I have been so busy I had not had time to manually update. Yesterday I got the update (OTA) and went ahead and installed when I got home. After that it decided it had to update 4 or 5 apps. Once all that was done I did a hard re-start. Since then no problems. Still working fine on WiFi and BT. No issues to report.
    Mine is the AT&T branded N6 (got it through AT&T).

21. cannon11

cannon11 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I have a sprint nexus 6 and expected to get the marshmallow update by last week and have still not gotten it, have you guys received the OTA update?

22. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    What build are you currently on (settings/about phone)?

Marshmallow started off with 6.0.0 several months ago, and since then, 6.0.1 has been released (which is still marshmallow), and monthly security updates (still marshmallow) since then.

23. cannon11

None

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I am on android 5.1.1, build number LYZ28N
    Shouldn't I have received the update awhile ago? I click on system updates and it says no updates available.

24. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    LYZ28N - that's a T-Mo specific build. Which carrier are you with? If you are not with T-Mo, you may want to remove the SIM, and reboot to see if you get prompted for OTA.

You could sideload the OTA, http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/ref-nexus-6-stock-ota-urls-t2906493

Or, if you have already unlocked your bootloader, you can flash factory images instead - but if your bootloader is not unlocked, unlocking it will cause a factory data reset.

Edit: Just re-read - you are with Sprint - that'd explain why you are not getting the OTA. Try removing the SIM, and reboot - check for updates. If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a T-Mo SIM from a friend - put that in your phone and reboot/check for updates.

25. cannon11

None

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    that is weird that it would be t mobile... I tried just taking the sim out and rebooting but didn't change anything. Don't have any friends with one and I don't feel like buying one. Will I have to sideload every update in the future because of this...?

Update: Trying to sideload marshmallow on my mac, its becomming a gaint pain and I can't figure it out, when I type the adb devices command in my terminal its says no such file or directory... ugh why can't things ever just work and be simple..

#325 cannon11, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
Tags: