• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Price/Date Reveal Today???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcarvega

Feb 6, 2011
With the commercial reveal of the Motorola Xoom during the Superbowl today, I would think they will be telling consumers when it will be available and for how much! If not in the commercial, then the information has to be confirm-able through retail channels within the next week to continue consumer buzz before launch.

I also don't think that's the only superbowl ad they're going to run. It's a nice intro video... but they HAVE to release an ad that actually shows off its features as well! This is the single best moment of the year to grab the attention of the American consumer.... If this tablet catches on, I believe Android could really usher in a new wave of technological advancements.

The iPad is fun, and is like an upgrade up from the iphone. But this looks like my upgrade from my laptop... even more portability, and media apps that provide even more immersion than their pc/web browser counterparts. The CNN and YouTube apps looked like tablet features I'll enjoy even more than using the respective websites. If they get the pricing right, this could be huge!

This was the same way for IPAD. As far as I am concerned, I was expecting $699. In any case, for me, I know its better than the top of the line Ipad. Not happy, but I am glad I do not have to buy a contract. I mean really it not much over the cost of a new phone out of contract, and you can go month to month.

So, I can buy a one month subscription that does not renew? If so, this means the price is really 819.00 rather than 799.

Upvote 0
So, I can buy a one month subscription that does not renew? If so, this means the price is really 819.00 rather than 799.

Not sure about the WIFI part and how it is enabled....

However, my girlfriend just told me that she did NOT have to get the contract. When we bought, they said there was not contract, and we could turn on/off a month at time, but we have to call to cancel. We can add it back via the iPad.

I will edit my OP.

Upvote 0
As far as I am concerned, I was expecting $699. In any case, for me, I know its better than the top of the line Ipad. Not happy, but I am glad I do not have to buy a contract. I mean really it not much over the cost of a new phone out of contract, and you can go month to month.

I don't rly see it this way. Phones are overpriced to begin with.

But the tab is over $300 more then my laptop and Moto isn't even needing to pay for the OS and it has much less functionality with obviously less and cheaper components.

I am curious how many of these will sell because as far as I am concerned its DoA. Now to play the waiting game for Ipad 2 and whatever other Honeycomb tabs coming soon.

Upvote 0
The $799 price is a fail. Add the insult that we are forced to buy a month of data just to use a new Xoom with wifi (that is built in and already paid for) and it is tantamount to biting the hand that feeds you. What a slap in the face to your supporters (who can buy whatever they choose).Motorola, I love the Xoom...but I'm not buying it! If I want to be treated like an idiot, I'd buy an Apple for less! Now...how much will that sweet Toshiba tablet cost?

Upvote 0
What makes me mad not the 799 price because I was actually willing to pay it. My gripe is the 1 month data plan to be able to use wifi. I cannot activate a Verizon device in alaska so I will have to wait until I leave the state for a bussiness trip or something. The earliest that will be is at the end of march... guess I will be waiting then

Upvote 0
Requiring a $20 contract to activate wifi after paying $800 for the Xoom is a slap in the face to consumers. Without wifi, the Xoom may as well be a brick. It's like buying a car and having the dealer lock the engine unless you subscribe to satellite radio. I was willing to pay $700, would probably have gone as high as $800, but the $20 contract is too much. Just price the friggin thing at $820. Don't treat your customers like idiots by making it seem like they have a choice about getting a contract. And what is the point of the contract anyway? Just to give Verizon an extra $20 from each purchase? Because I can't see any benefit to the consumer to having to pay for a service they don't want so they can use the product they do want. Most other products, like phones, give you a discount for signing up for a contract. This is the opposite.

Also, airing a commercial where your product could easily have been replaced by literally any other tablet on the market right now isn't a great way to showcase its unique abilities. "Buy this because it isn't the most successful product on the market! P.S., it's very expensive and we'll also require you to spend even more money to actually use its primary feature." Great marketing, Motorola.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones