• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Reply from @MetroPCSNY

Vance Fox

Apr 10, 2011
I have been counting the days since @SamsungJohn promised help. I have included @Samsungservice, @Samsungtweets, and @MetroPCS in each day's count.

On Friday, at day 4, @MetroPCSNY contacted me wanting my issues to not reach day 5. I send him an email:

Hi!

Let me bring you up to speed. The Samsung Indulge is a battery hog. This, in itself, is not the problem. A smartphone with a 1Ghz processor is expected to drain the battery at a faster rate than say a Blackberry with a 250MHz processor.

The problem that I, and a lot of others as evidenced by androidforums, howardforums, acsyndicate, and others, have is that we have to force the phone to run in 1xRTT mode in order to get more than 2-3 hours of battery life out of this thing. We have discovered that we can "kill" LTE better than any cut by entering **583385## in our phone's dialer and force the phone into CDMA only mode. This ensures that the key problem with the any cut "toggle", the 4g turning back on after a phone call event and sometimes even an sms, does not happen. After this selection we have to restart the phone. In other words, this is not a quick "toggle" and go method.

With the phone forced into 1x I am able to, with further help from the Juice Defender app, squeeze about 5-6 hours out of one battery before the phone shuts itself down. This is after apps that run in the background no matter if you want them or not, or crap as I call it, that both Samsung and MetroPCS installed without the ability to remove, outside of rooting the phone, have been eliminated. This is how long the battery should last with 4g not forced off... In other words, the phone straight out of the box since we are paying a premium for 4g service we can't really use much.

Other owners have been hounding Samsung, as I have, for a fix in the form of a 4g toggle as found on it's sister phone, the Epic, that holds even after a phone call or sms instead of "airplane mode". I still can not figure out why Samsung put a quick toggle for airplane mode when it's not breaking news that the LTE antenna and software guzzle battery life.

The other issue is that there are no drivers for the Indulge on Samsang's website. This would not be so big an issue if Samsung was willing to support their own product as drivers are generally the first thing released. Drivers are needed for development of the phone itself and it really is beyond me why they have not been even given a date for release.

I contacted @SamsungJohn, a code developer at Samsung, four days ago and had a conversation with him that obviously left me less than impressed. I requested help, as other Indulge owners have done for months. All I got as a response was that they would look into it. You should not have to still "look into it" months after the problem is brought to your attention.

I'm sorry to tell you but Samsung's failures are highlighting MetroPCS as a bad carrier. And what's worse is MetroPCS stood against their own customers when they, in fact, shunned and insulted Indulge owners who decided to take matters into their own hands and start fixing Samsung's mistakes themselves. A notation in our records? Is this the road MetroPCS really wants to go down? "The customer is always wrong!"?

MetroPCS should have stood with us, their income source, and demanded Samsung provide the support they owe us and fix their problems. Not stand with Samsung and demand their customers deal with Samsung's crap.

Feel free to share this as well as my email address with corporate. I am more than happy to answer questions they might have.

I received a response rather quickly:

Hi Vance:
Thanks for your email! It's going to take me some time to give answers or
at least explanation to you issues. I did want you to know that I'm not a
dealer or some external group. I work with the marketing arm of the NY
region but am able to touch all points of the company.
Let me work on your email and get back to you by Monday at the very
latest.

Thanks,
Tony Wisniewski
Indirect Channel, Social Marketing and Digital
MetroPCS New York Region Marketing

Well I really wasn't surprised to not get an email on Monday since, if he was reaching out to each department that covered each subject, it would take at least one full business day. As I suspected, I received an email today:

Hi Vance:

Thanks for waiting, here’s what I have for you. Unfortunately it’s mixed news, but I hope it will give you a some of the answers and insight you are looking for.

First, you are absolutely right that the Indulge is a battery hog. Nobody will question that position, but know that the Indulge is much improved over our first LTE phone, the Samsung Craft. We do know that the LTE chip requires significantly more power and that the handset vendors are working toward improvements in subsequent phone offerings. You will see better battery life as the LTE framework becomes more widely used and offered by all carriers.

The LTE toggle you recommend is a great idea and is being weighed as an option both by Samsung and MetroPCS. Please understand though that the phone was never designed nor intended to be forced into CDMA mode. It is first and foremost an LTE based handset and provides dual-band capabilities should you find yourself in an area where LTE is not available. MetroPCS does want you to drop calls as you move from one location to another.

Unfortunately, as a consumer, once you enter the programming side of the handset by entering the password codes, there’s not much we can help you with. I appreciate that you have found a work around for the LTE toggle, but there’s no guidance MetroPCS or its handset vendors can provide to consumers relative to firmware programming. The programming access codes are intended for service providers to assign the phone it’s MEID and MIN codes for system alignment.

With regard to driver updates on Samsung’s website, you are unfortunately not going to find them. Samsung and MetroPCS engineering groups work together to design the firmware and test it on our network. Because it’s not strictly a Samsung product being offered directly to consumers, they wouldn’t make firmware upgrades available from their website. Remember too, that the LTE programming is outside of the Android OS which means that any firmware upgrades would need to be delivered to the handset via a PC running an upgrade software client. This is not a problem for a user of your knowledge, but not all MetroPCS consumers have the ability or computer hardware to manage the process required for firmware upgrades. As a precaution, MetroPCS (and all carriers) do not provide this level of manageability to their handset users

I know, the iPhone is the one anomaly in this position, but Apple designed it as a computer first and a cell phone second. What you are upgrading when you connect to your computer is not the cell side of the phone, but the iOS. The cell phone operating firmware remains unavailable to consumer upgrade (unless you jailbreak, yes, but then we’re back to a situation where as a consumer, you are on your own).

I do apologize for the lack of customer support you have received when calling into our system. It’s simply that you are far out ahead in knowledge of the handset and the LTE network. You are asking questions that don’t have answers yet J.

I’m sorry that I can’t provide you the solution you are looking for, but please know that MetroPCS is very aware of your concerns with the LTE battery drain and are working on several fronts to combat the problem. These include not only firmware revisions in next gen product, but also a continued build out of the LTE network so you won’t have to force the phone into dumb mode. Please also know that there are several more LTE products coming from MetroPCS, and from varied handset vendors. This will work to benefit you as competition on their level, always assures a better product offering moving forward.

I hope at least that I’ve provided some insight to your concerns. Please feel free to reach out at anytime and I will do my best to provide you with whatever information I can.

Thanks,

Tony Wisniewski
Indirect Channel, Social Marketing and Digital
MetroPCS New York Region Marketing
cell
fax

Twitter: @MetroPCSNY
Now you know. Metro PCS is sorry. To make up for it, they will gladly sell you a new phone...

My reply:

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I can not accept that MetroPCS and Samsung are going to ignore the problems of the Indulge simply because a majority of users are not fluent in linux. If that was truly a valid excuse cell phones would have never gotten out of the bag. When the Omnia first came to Verizon I bought it and, after only a couple months, had to perform a software update, through my computer, in order to update the os. The other option was to bring it to a Verizon store and have them perform the update. So not all carriers think that their users are computer illiterate.

I ported from Boost Mobile to MetroPCS to buy the Indulge. I am not looking at fu
ture models for MetroPCS. I am looking at the model that I paid $400 for and $60 a month to use.

Features and Specifications - Samsung Galaxy Indulge? QWERTY Cell Phone | Samsung Mobile

You will find that Samsung claims that this phone, a "first and foremost LTE based handset", has a 300 hour standby time and 3 hour talk time. Actual product use has found this claim to be extremely far fetched, and possibly false advertising.

"The LTE toggle you recommend is a great idea and is being weighed as an option both by Samsung and MetroPCS."

What other option could Samsung and MetroPCS have? They have produced a complete lemon of a phone that can not even last for 3 hours on standby, never mind talk time. Does there have to be a class-action lawsuit in order to get the support that Samsung claims to provide to, and I quote @Samsungservice, "help all Samsung US customers"?

I can understand why Samsung is ignoring us. There are really only a few options with manufacturers and we are not their customers, MetroPCS is. I can't understand why MetroPCS is ignoring us. We, the people who bought the Indulge from you, are your customers. There are a lot of carriers, prepaid too, that would love to provide "wireless for all".

For each and every Indulge that Metro sold they have one more unhappy customer. There is no way that anyone would accept a 3 hour total battery life or the excessive heat that the LTE antenna produces as "the way it should be".

Want to show every single Indulge owner that you do actually care? Stand up and let them know. Make a public statement in support of your customers. Tell Samsung that your customers are not happy and want their phones to work like they, the manufacturer, said they would. MetroPCS has all our addresses and MetroPCS knows exactly what phone we are using on the network. Hopefully I'll get a letter soon letting me know what Samsung and MetroPCS are going to do for me to correct this problem.

Want suggestions?

1) $150 trade in for this piece of shit, to be used whenever the consumer wants

2) Get rid of the $60/month plan for the Indulge and put everyone on an unlimited $50/month plan to make up for the fact the phone can't use LTE all the time without the battery being dead in a couple hours. You can leave the $60/month plan for your next LTE phone that doesn't need us to force it into CDMA or carry a stack of a dozen batteries to make it through the day.

3) Give your Indulge customers $150 credit for their monthly service charges. The goodwill of showing that you care about our pockets as well as yours would be enough to retain enough customers to more than make up for the bill.

The faster MetroPCS lets their customers know that they will take care of their customers, the less those same customers will think about other carrier and their phones. The only thing I can do is let you know you have a problem. It's up to you, as MetroPCS, to fix it.

Guess they are helping me make my decision easier to leave else where. I know t-mobile has a store right next to the metro store I go to. Lol

Remember that T-Mobile is now AT&T...

I will be keeping this phone until it dies or I become extremely annoyed at it. I am at least going to wait until ACS is complete with their ROM.

This phone has potential and, if you're close to wifi when you need data most of the time, the 1x is not hard to deal with.

I rarely use "4g" because of the heat an huge battery draw. But I do use it and it does work...

Upvote 0

I will be keeping this phone until it dies or I become extremely annoyed at it. I am at least going to wait until ACS is complete with their ROM.

This phone has potential and, if you're close to wifi when you need data most of the time, the 1x is not hard to deal with.

I rarely use "4g" because of the heat an huge battery draw. But I do use it and it does work...

My 4G when it decides work is faster then wifi at home. So I like to use the 4G since that's what I am paying for, ya know. My 4G will work for 5 minutes and then cut out and not come back unless I hit the wifi, airplane, reboot, or do a battery pull. So right now anything amost seems better.

Upvote 0
The thing that stands out for me is where he says they don't release drivers. Samsung does.... for other phones. Check their site. My new T-Mobile G2x phones activate tomorrow. I have them in hand. Pretty nice. I can surf on my wifi and it's fast. Youtube is better than my laptop......the included driving game is sick.

Notice he was no help in that letter? Basically, wait for the next lte phone, it'll be better.

People are voting with their feet Mr @Wisniewski. I did.

And like Vance says, the Indulge is an awesome phone.

Upvote 0

great communication with the guy. You didnt come off as an asshole and actually asked for the right things. Only reason I quoted this post is because that merger will not go through for about 11 more months, if it does get finalized. Well, thats the last news i read about it at least.

Upvote 0
This Indulge issue is my test for MetroPCS.

I was perfectly content with my Blackberry 8330 on Boost's 3g EVDO network. I changed because I was frustrated with Blackberry and their inability to make a good all-around phone. My internet surfing was horendous at best.

The Samsung Indulge, after a lot of tweaking (and I mean a LOT), is a better phone than what I had. But as I stand now I am running this much better phone on a muc slower network. 1xRTT is significantly slower than EVDO and it shows in downloads and html browsing.

I expected to make up for the slower 3g side with the access to occasional LTE access. Instead I found myself loath to even turn the LTE antenna on. The phone would heat up like a torch and to make a phone call without bluetooth would, almost literally, cause heat stroke.

Without ACS help this phone would have been tossed back along with my account, complaints abound. With ACS help:

I will use the Indulge until Boost comes out with a better android than the Prevail... then I will leave MetroPCS ad go back to a carrier that has good penetration AND a chipset that does not drain today's batteries. In other words... I will not give MetroPCS any more money for another LTE phone that may or, most likely, may not get any official support.

I call upon every Indulge owner to sign up on twitter and tweet to @MetroPCS, @MetroPCSNY, and @Samsungservice.

@MetroPCS @MetroPCSNY @Samsungservice Fix the #Indulge now! I am not happy with this lemon you sold me!

Upvote 0
I'm looking to possiably gather people and do a class action law suit.

I am going the BBB route first. Let's see if Metro and Samsung will do the right thing after a more official entity has been pulled in...

There is no doubt the phone, out of the box, is a lemon and that false advertising hs been used to sell this phone as a 300 hour standby device...

Give the channels a little time to work. Having documentation like I'm gathering will help significantly against a big corporation with a big legal department.

Upvote 0
This Indulge issue is my test for MetroPCS.

I was perfectly content with my Blackberry 8330 on Boost's 3g EVDO network. I changed because I was frustrated with Blackberry and their inability to make a good all-around phone. My internet surfing was horendous at best.

The Samsung Indulge, after a lot of tweaking (and I mean a LOT), is a better phone than what I had. But as I stand now I am running this much better phone on a muc slower network. 1xRTT is significantly slower than EVDO and it shows in downloads and html browsing.

I expected to make up for the slower 3g side with the access to occasional LTE access. Instead I found myself loath to even turn the LTE antenna on. The phone would heat up like a torch and to make a phone call without bluetooth would, almost literally, cause heat stroke.

Without ACS help this phone would have been tossed back along with my account, complaints abound. With ACS help:

I will use the Indulge until Boost comes out with a better android than the Prevail... then I will leave MetroPCS ad go back to a carrier that has good penetration AND a chipset that does not drain today's batteries. In other words... I will not give MetroPCS any more money for another LTE phone that may or, most likely, may not get any official support.

I call upon every Indulge owner to sign up on twitter and tweet to @MetroPCS, @MetroPCSNY, and @Samsungservice.

@MetroPCS @MetroPCSNY @Samsungservice Fix the #Indulge now! I am not happy with this lemon you sold me!

I am going the BBB route first. Let's see if Metro and Samsung will do the right thing after a more official entity has been pulled in...

There is no doubt the phone, out of the box, is a lemon and that false advertising hs been used to sell this phone as a 300 hour standby device...

Give the channels a little time to work. Having documentation like I'm gathering will help significantly against a big corporation with a big legal department.

Yeah I have taken screen shots of the coverage around my area. Next will be a video clip showing how bad the 4G is in their "best coverage". I'm also going the try contacting metro corpoate headquaters.

You had the 8330 Vance? I had that same phone. I loved the phone found everything about it reliable. Once finding out how to fully use it.

I was think of going to boost from metro. But is boost 3G actually that slow?

Upvote 0
Yeah I have taken screen shots of the coverage around my area. Next will be a video clip showing how bad the 4G is in their "best coverage". I'm also going the try contacting metro corpoate headquaters.

You had the 8330 Vance? I had that same phone. I loved the phone found everything about it reliable. Once finding out how to fully use it.

I was think of going to boost from metro. But is boost 3G actually that slow?

Boost is a lot slower than LTE but faster than 1xRTT. Their phones are very low end though. Even the Prevail is weak. That's why I picked up the Indulge.

PM sent.

Upvote 0
@BlueMuscles be a man (or woman) of your own opinion... try it out yourself and see if you like it... you already have it... might as well... just be sure to fully read the return policy.

Yes aware of PCS return policy 7 days and less than 1 hour ..does that also include surfing the net ?

I bought it from bestbuy and they said I have a 30 day return policy with them ...that why I went with bestbuy as oppose to going to a metro pcs store.

That being said I will give it a go. For the few hours I had it the 4g seems to be on 95% of the time here in NYC.

The battery was charged about 1/4 out of the box and after viewing about 5 youtube videos on my way home (to test it) it drained on me.

Now that I'm home I'm currently charging it and will drain it and charge again and repeat it 3 x to train the battery.

Seriously.. if the battery only last a few hours I'm not sure if I will keep it. I'm on the phone alot due to my line of work which is outside most of the day which also means I can't charge it whenever I want.

Hopefully training the battery will help some.

Any other tips ?

Thanks so much .

Upvote 0
Well after reading this forum I will try this that a support tech posted during chat with someone here on this forum.

It can't hurt and being it's brand new I will try it.

Sean : I will provide you some steps to increase the battery life.
Sean : 1.Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more
Sean : 2.Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour
Sean : 3.Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

Saying the battery life will double is hard to believe but I have nothing to
lose and this way it will help me make a decision if I should return it or not.

I'll report back after this wacky recharge process :D

Upvote 0
I'm looking to possiably gather people and do a class action law suit.

Sign me up. I Miss my EVO. I was really thinking of moving to T-Mobile. Damn only if metro had 3g and a better battery.

It just sad to see a carrier come out with a decent phone and just let it go to waist. Is like buying a new model car and the manufacture discontinue the car in like 2 year.

Man im not even asking for much just for an easier way to toggle the phone from 1x to 4g. I wish i know why they could not make this work with out rebooting the phone.

"There is no doubt the phone, out of the box, is a lemon and that false advertising hs been used to sell this phone as a 300 hour standby device..."

I think the marketing department made a mistake and add the extra zeros because this phone has a standby time of like 3hr

Upvote 0
Well after reading this forum I will try this that a support tech posted during chat with someone here on this forum.

It can't hurt and being it's brand new I will try it.

Sean : I will provide you some steps to increase the battery life.
Sean : 1.Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more
Sean : 2.Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour
Sean : 3.Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

Saying the battery life will double is hard to believe but I have nothing to
lose and this way it will help me make a decision if I should return it or not.

I'll report back after this wacky recharge process :D

THERE IS NOT TRAINING WITH Li-ON Battery. the only thing you need to remember is that you should not let the battery drain all the way down. you should do this ones a months only so the battery can calibrate itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones