• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Samsung Fascinate Gingerbread 2.3 Speculation Thread ***

rolleyes.gif

Well at present rate it took for froyo I'll guess not before Christmas this year if ever

Upvote 0
I will be really surprised if we see Gingerbread on the Fascinate. I know as of recent Google is starting to crackdown on fragment issues and not wanting Bing on the phones (Google Cracks Down on Android Fragmentation - Mobiledia).

From my understanding Verizon made an agreement with Microsoft that a certain % of each type of smartphone devices i.e. Android, RIM (no iPhone at the time of the agreement) would have Bing pre-installed. With the complaints they are receiving with pre-installed Bing phones I don't think they are wanting to Bing out any new phones so as along as they have those few that meet the requirements for Verizon to continue receiving their payments from that fat $500 million.

Upvote 0
I will be really surprised if we see Gingerbread on the Fascinate. I know as of recent Google is starting to crackdown on fragment issues and not wanting Bing on the phones (Google Cracks Down on Android Fragmentation - Mobiledia).

From my understanding Verizon made an agreement with Microsoft that a certain % of each type of smartphone devices i.e. Android, RIM (no iPhone at the time of the agreement) would have Bing pre-installed. With the complaints they are receiving with pre-installed Bing phones I don't think they are wanting to Bing out any new phones so as along as they have those few that meet the requirements for Verizon to continue receiving their payments from that fat $500 million.

The LG Revolution (likely to be released soon) will have Bing on it. That was the nail in the coffin on that phone for me. Waiting on the SGS2 now.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just talked to my source at Verizon (trust me, he's reliable).

He said we'll definitely, without a doubt be getting Gingerbread in the next few weeks, so don't worry at all! I was so happy and trusting that I bought 10 Fascinates on the spot since he assured me his pay wasn't even based on the number of phones he sold

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just talked to my source at Verizon (trust me, he's reliable).

He said we'll definitely, without a doubt be getting Gingerbread in the next few weeks, so don't worry at all! I was so happy and trusting that I bought 10 Fascinates on the spot since he assured me his pay wasn't even based on the number of phones he sold

Oh brother ...

Upvote 0
This is likely the link more people will want since its de-bloated et al. I get the impression the CommRom guys are working on this already too and we should see something from them sooner or later

[ROM][6.20.2011]NAMELESS v4 - based on EC09 Gingerbread Leak - xda-developers

If we get 2.3 by September I will actually take back most of my negative comments about Samsung being late on updates. To go from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 in a year from the device's release is really not too shabby. 2.2 was late, but 2.3 by September would more than make up for it in my opinion.

Great, here we go again. See you all next April/May for OTA gingy...

Upvote 0
Cellular South recently announced this about their I-500. This was posted before they released the 2.2 Update.

We have approved Android 2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S and anticipate it being available to you by the end of next week. While 2.2 offers new features including flash capabilities, it will not fix some of the native client email problems on 2.1. We're happy to announce that Android 2.3 will be in our labs for testing by 7/11 and should fix these issues. We will provide weekly progress updates when 2.3 testing begins.

So if 2.3 takes as long as 2.2 did, it will be out by the end of 2011 / beginning of 2012 for Cellular South customers. Verizon customers I'm assuming will get it a few months before as with 2.2.

Upvote 0
Cellular South recently announced this about their I-500. This was posted before they released the 2.2 Update.

We have approved Android 2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S and anticipate it being available to you by the end of next week. While 2.2 offers new features including flash capabilities, it will not fix some of the native client email problems on 2.1. We're happy to announce that Android 2.3 will be in our labs for testing by 7/11 and should fix these issues. We will provide weekly progress updates when 2.3 testing begins.

So if 2.3 takes as long as 2.2 did, it will be out by the end of 2011 / beginning of 2012 for Cellular South customers. Verizon customers I'm assuming will get it a few months before as with 2.2.

Here's my take. It's a pretty huge jump from 2.1 to 2.2, that's why it took such a long time. But from 2.2 to 2.3, the difference isn't that great, so I'm thinking a shorter time frame.

Upvote 0
I was on with tech support for the many issues I have with my phone and they told me it was out and not to download it if I get the notification for it. I just got the phone on Friday and it came with 2.2.1 which she said to keep for now. The 2.3, I was told has caused many issues and that if or when I get the update to avoid it until a second comes(supposedly in a couple weeks) then download the first and follow with the second that is more stable. This is just what I was so cant be certain since they have lied to me several times in the last week.

:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones