• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[OFFICIAL SOLUTION FAQ] Having trouble with your EVO 3D? Click here!

jerofld

Fixing stuff is not easy
May 10, 2011
Over there <points>
Hi guys and gals!

I am building a FAQ-style thread to reference the more common questions revolving around our new device, in an effort to cut down on repeat questions. If you wish to contribute, by all means, please do! I ask that we keep the replies in this thread relevant. As much as I would appreciate people posting how useful this is, I would like to keep the clutter to a minimum. The format will be: 1) The question 2) the answer and 3) the source thread (if applicable).

This is a forum-member generated FAQ to help people solve issues with their phones. The most commonly asked questions are highlighted in RED.

General help and information sources: Generic Troubleshooting Steps:
1) See if your issue is covered in this FAQ. A plethora of topics are covered here and will be covered in the future as issues arise. Your contribution is also welcomed.

2) Toggle off then toggle on the feature that is not working. If it is an app, exit out of it and reload it. You may have to clear data on it to get it to work. To do this, push Menu (button) > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. You may have to switch tabs to find the application you're looking for. Then push Clear Data. Then try the app again.

3) Try pulling the battery out of the unit for at least 30 seconds, but 60+ seconds is recommended.

4) Call Sprint on a second phone (Google Voice from a computer may work for this) and tell them the trouble you're having. They can access the phone remotely and try to troubleshoot your issue. They may offer recommendations. Follow their recommendation.

5) Hard reset the phone. In Menu (button) > Settings > SD & phone > Factory reset.

6) Take the phone to a Sprint repair center. Ensure Repair centers near me is checked and you only go to ones that say "Sprint Store" instead of "Sprint via so-and-so". So-and-so's are third party vendors and are less likely to help you if you have a problem.
Section 1 - Switching to the EVO 3D from a previous phone?

1.01) How do I transfer stuff from my old phone to my new EVO 3D?
There are many ways.

Connect a USB cable to your old phone and transfer files from it using the USB Mass Storage Mode. You will have to download the files you wish to transfer to your harddrive. I would recommend a new folder. You can copy all the files, but you don't have to. When all the files are transferred over, you can remove the USB cable and attach the cable to your EVO 3D and transfer your files back over.

Using Bluetooth: Most phones have a Bluetooth connectivity option. To do this, you have to find the Bluetooth connectivity option. Where the setting is will vary depending. I am using a Samsung Reality (SCH-u820) for this walkthrough. There should be some sort of menu or settings option that will list Bluetooth. Now, make sure Bluetooth is on and make the device Discoverable. Now to go your EVO 3D and go to Menu (button) > Settings > Wireless & networks > Bluetooth settings. Check on Bluetooth and then "Scan for devices". You may have to put your old phone back into discover mode, because discover mode times out for security and battery purposes. Your two devices should appear and you have to follow the prompts to pair them. This may include entering in a code. Now you can select your EVO 3D on your old phone and send files, contacts, and whatever else you need to send.
1.01a) Need to transfer your contacts and calendar information?
Coming from another Android device? Just log in with your Google account and all of your contacts should sync automatically during the setup, according to the check boxes you select when setting up your device.

Coming from a device that is not an Android?

Welcome to Android!

First try to transfer your contacts using the Transfer app that is on the EVO 3D. If your device isn't supported:

Most phones have a Bluetooth connectivity option. To do this, you have to find the Bluetooth connectivity option. Where the setting is will vary depending. I am using a Samsung Reality (SCH-u820) for this walkthrough. There should be some sort of menu or settings option that will list Bluetooth. Now, make sure Bluetooth is on and make the device Discoverable. Now to go your EVO 3D and go to Menu (button) > Settings > Wireless & networks > Bluetooth settings. Check on Bluetooth and then "Scan for devices". You may have to put your old phone back into discover mode, because discover mode times out for security and battery purposes. Your two devices should appear and you have to follow the prompts to pair them. This may include entering in a code. Now you can select your EVO 3D on your old phone and send files, contacts, and whatever else you need to send.

The second option is to transfer contacts via microSD card. Most phones have a microSD card. You can export your contacts to the SD card. Now, turn off both devices. Take the SD card out of your EVO 3D and put it to the side. The SD card is in the battery compartment and you have to remove the battery before you can remove the SD card. Put the SD card from your old phone in the SD card slot and boot the phone. Now you need a file browser to view files on your SD card. I recommend Astro (you can download it here). Find your contacts (probably at the bottom of the list) and open them. The phone will save your contacts. Now, turn off your phone and swap the SD cards back and reboot your phone. I recommmend you sync your phone with Backup Assistant.
1.02) I have another Android device with Google Authenticator, how do I move it?
You have to configure it to work with your new device. Go to your 2 step authorization settings in Gmail, remove your old device and add your new one. Takes a few minutes.

Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/358671-google-authenticator-new-phones.html
1.03) I switched/upgraded my SD card, where did the sample pictures go?
All sample pictures are stored on the SD card that came with your EVO 3D. You'll have to manually transfer them using a file explorer or HTC Sync. You can also download them here.

Section 2 - General EVO 3D issues:

2.01) I can't connect with 3G [Official Solution]
Try the following:
Turn on Airplane mode, then turning it off.
Reboot the phone.
Updating PRL and Profile (in that order). This can be found in Menu (button) Settings > System Updates > Update PRL / Update Profile (the buttons are in the reverse order, be aware!)

If that does not work, please read the very in depth solution on the subject here.

Thanks to Thefoodman52 and EarlyMon!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361044-official-solution-3g-issues-3d.html#post2881052
2.02) The Sync icon won't go away!
This appears to be a common problem with the Watch accounts. To fix it, push Menu (button) Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Updates and then push Check Now. You should get two updates.

Is the phone syncing a lot, but not constantly? Try disabling some unnecessary syncing. You can change syncing by going to Menu (button) > Settings > Accounts & sync and disable any sync accounts you don't care about. I disabled HTC Sense and HTC Hub in the HTC Sense account and my phone doesn't sync nearly as often.

Thanks to sikclown for this information!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360915-htc-watch-update-fix-awake-sync-issue.html

Update - also see this very helpful post: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/363696-e3d-constantly-syncing.html#post2881474
2.03) How do I turn off the haptic (vibration) feedback?
Menu (button) > Settings > Sound > Vibrate Feedback > Turn it to off.

Thanks to themuffinman75!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360465-how-do-you-turn-off-non-keyboard-haptic-feedback.html
2.04) How do I remove all the Facebook friend birthdays?
Open the Calendar app. At the top there is a drop-down menu that is called "All Calendars", uncheck "Facebook" and it will remove all the Facebook events. If you get any Facebook events other than birthdays, you'll have to manually add them.

Thanks to sikclown!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d...ouble-your-evo-3d-click-here.html#post2868894
2.05) Can't find the USB Drivers to sync your EVO 3D to a computer? Where can I find HTC Sync?
You can download HTC Sync and sync your phone to your computer.

Thanks to thelonewizard! Updated link from original source thread.
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361684-solution-usb-drivers.html
2.06) My 3D pictures are showing two pictures side by side in 3D, how do I fix it?
Rebooting the phone should solve this problem.

Thanks to Span_Wolf!
Source: Post 26
2.07) Can I stop my text messages from previewing on the lockscreen?
Yes, go to Menu (button) > Settings > Privacy > Uncheck Display message text

Thanks to PyroSporker!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361769-solution-can-you-remove-sms-previews-lock-screen.html
2.08) How do I upload pictures and videos to YouTube or other apps?
Open up the Gallery and find your picture / video. Once you load it, push anywhere on the screen, five icons should appear. Push the dot with two arrows pointing away from it icon. This is called the "Share" button and is all over Android. You should be presented a list of apps you can upload to. YouTube, SMS / MMS apps, Facebook, etc are listed.
2.09) How do I save my phone's contacts as Google contacts, so they save to the cloud?
There is a nice write up on how to do it here.

Thanks to EarlyMon!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/365797-moving-contacts-phone-google.html#post2891355]here
2.10) I deleted the files on my SD card, where can I download them, again?
You can download them here. Just extract them all into the same folder and move to your SD card.

The link is pictures only. If you want the Green Hornet video, you'll have to download it straight from HTC Watch. Sorry.
2.11) The ringtone/notification volume is too low, is there any way to make it louder?
First, go to Menu (button) > Settings > Sound and tap on Volume. Make sure everything is up. If it is, or the settings are still not loud enough for you, try Equalizer or Volume+ and pick a preset that cranks them all, or at least one that cranks most of them.
2.12) Head phones causing songs to fast fwd/skip?
Check the icon. If it is showing the headset icon when normal headphones are connected and/or wiggling the connector causes the skipping/fast forwarding issue do the following:

1) Install Toggle Headset 2.

2) If that doesn't fix the problem or you have other head phone related problems, return the phone to Sprint and see about a replacement for a faulty 3.5mm jack.

Thanks to yolky and cobalt!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/364209-head-phones-causing-songs-fast-fwd-skip.html
2.13) Apps and/or shortcuts to my SD card disappear, how do I fix that?
This is a problem with apps being installed on the SD card and then the phone being rebooted. Some apps defer to the SD card automatically. Moving apps to the internal memory and recreating the home screen shortcuts will fix this issue. If it is a folder or link to something you can not move to internal memory, your shortcuts will disappear every time you reboot.
2.14) My battery doesn't charge to 100%! Even when plugged in!
This is how the phone is designed to work. The battery charges to 99% or 100% and turns off the charger. The charger will turn back on once the phone hits 95%. This process repeats over and over again, all the while the green LED is lit. This prevents damage to the battery and prolongs overall battery life (in terms of over years). Constantly topping off the battery will rapidly decrease overall battery life (the amount of hours per charge) due to stress.

Again: This is normal battery charging behavior.
2.15) I'm having problems with WiFi!
Rush Lindsay has a really good write up here. He gives you an easy to follow process for resetting your Sprint connection.

Section 3 - Archived Issues:
This section is for issues that have been resolved over time due to bug fixes in OTAs.

3.01) I took phone off my lock screen now I can't get it back!
There is an OTA update for this. You may have to check manually. I also was not able to download the various fixes until I installed OTA 1.13.651.7. You can manually check by pushing Menu (button) > Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Updates. After the OTA installs, you should reboot the phone. After a reboot, additional fixes should be available to fix the phone being missing from the lock screen. You can check by pushing Menu (button) > Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Updates.

Thanks to HTC, sikclown, toad6386, and others!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361381-fix-ota-phone-icon-disappearing-now-available.html
3.02) Some of my icons look fuzzy!
It is because our EVO 3Ds have higher resolution (qHD) than the icons were meant to be displayed in. Hopefully app devs will update their apps to be more qHD friendly in the future.

Thanks to novox77!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360290-fuzzy-icons-other-icon-problems.html
3.03) Where is the HTC Flashlight?
You can now get it from the HTC Hub -

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360440-hey-where-my-htc-flashlight-available-htc-hub-app.html

You can also download it from the XDA forums here.

Personal note: I recommend you use Chrome to Phone when trying to download links directly to your phone. It can be easier to find the app on Chrome (if you use Chrome, that is) and then send the link on your phone. But this is a personal preference.

Thanks to rockypr (on XDA forums) and momceio!
3.04) Why does my Bluetooth link keep dropping in my Chevy (and probably all GM) vehicle?
Here's what you do:

Delete the phone profile from the car, then delete the car profile from the phone. Next pair the phone with the car. When you're finished, the car will try to access your contact list from your phone, do not accept the permission. The problem is that the phone and Chevy/GMs contact list manager are not compatible at this time.

Thanks to Sprint Forum User ISIRAPYNOT005 and Robodoc82!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d...bluetooth-connection-2011-chevy-vehicles.html
3.05) Why is my camera tinted green?
There is discussion as to why this is. You can see that discussion here.
3.05) Where do I get Netflix?
The Android Market now has official Netflix for EVO 3D.

The following I'm leaving up in case Netflix decides to remove it again: On XDA there are a number of links for different versions, you can find them here.

Thanks to Sprintusa (XDA forum user) and aaron3315!
Source: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360389-netflix-evo-3d.html
3.06) Can I video chat with Skype?
Yes! Just follow the this Phandroid link here or click this direct link.

Thanks to Pulser (XDA), Phandroid and RadMarv!
Source: Hacked Skype 2.0 Comes With Even More Device Compatibility

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Sticky please

Mod staff is working on getting our arms around the right way to get stickies to work in light of the new prefixes - thanks in advance for your support and patience while we sort that out.

Meanwhile - I've marked this as our OFFICIAL SOLUTION FAQ and I'm pinning it onto the Official Forum Guide.

Jer - kindly consider this thread if you think it's worthy - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies.html -- no worries if you don't think it fits here, thanks! :)

Upvote 0
Mod staff is working on getting our arms around the right way to get stickies to work in light of the new prefixes - thanks in advance for your support and patience while we sort that out.

Meanwhile - I've marked this as our OFFICIAL SOLUTION FAQ and I'm pinning it onto the Official Forum Guide.

Jer - kindly consider this thread if you think it's worthy - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies.html -- no worries if you don't think it fits here, thanks! :)

You, as well as the other mods, are openly invited to modify my original post to keep it up to date and add information as it becomes available. Not that I could stop any of you, anyways, but I know you all wouldn't normally edit a post unless the post fell outside of the rules.

I also appreciate this thread being stickied and added to the official forum guide! I look forward to expanding this thread, just not today. I have a new toy to play with :)

Upvote 0
I synced Facebook for the pics, etc. I don't want the birthdays/fb events showing up in my calendar app. I can't find a setting to remove them?
I tried Settings/Sync/Facebook and unchecking the calendar, but they're still all there...

Open the Calendar application and then click All Calendars at the top. You will get a drop down to Uncheck the ones you don't want.

Upvote 0
Have you guys gotten the youtube app to work in 3D? I can't seem to get the 3D video to show in 3D

The problem is Youtube hasn't enabled filtering for 3D videos, at least not on the mobile device. They need to set it up as a category. So when you search for 3D, you're getting trailers for "Lion King 3D", which is a trailer for the 3D movie - but not necessarily in 3D.

Search for "3D Video" and select GoPro 3D: Highlight Reel 2011. Its one of the best I've seen on Youtube for viewing on the Evo 3d.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to make my Evo3D come out of sleep when I get a notification? So far this is my only complaint with the device. When I get a text I have to manually take the phone out of sleep to view it. I'd prefer if it would take itself out of sleep so I could simply view the message.

When I get phone calls it comes out of sleep and shows the caller. I would like it if it did this with messages too.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to make my Evo3D come out of sleep when I get a notification? So far this is my only complaint with the device. When I get a text I have to manually take the phone out of sleep to view it. I'd prefer if it would take itself out of sleep so I could simply view the message.

When I get phone calls it comes out of sleep and shows the caller. I would like it if it did this with messages too.

I use a program called "SMS Popup" for this. I don't get my EVO 3D for 3 more hours though, so I haven't tried it on there yet. But it's always worked great on my G1 and Cliq.

Reactions: ArmageddonX
Upvote 0
One minor issue/ I loved the preloaded 3D pics and all the other pics and videos but after I took out the memory card that came with it and put in my bigger memory card from my original evo all those sample 3D pics and everything were gone. As Im typing this I just thought in my head maybe those sample pics were saved on the memory card that came with it maybe?

Upvote 0
One minor issue/ I loved the preloaded 3D pics and all the other pics and videos but after I took out the memory card that came with it and put in my bigger memory card from my original evo all those sample 3D pics and everything were gone. As Im typing this I just thought in my head maybe those sample pics were saved on the memory card that came with it maybe?
Dude I did the same exact thing! I'll have to grab them off of my 4G later and put them on my computer and then transfer them back lol. Derp!

Upvote 0
I got the 3D pics to move back over they were saved on the memory card. But 1 more issue and im pretty sure it wasnt doin it earlier when Im using swype I cant get the trace to work or when I peck the letter it doesnt like bold up or however u wanna say it. I turned the phone off and went into swype settings and I have it checked to trace but nothing

Upvote 0
I got one, that might be good for the sticky if it is a common issue. My sample 3D photos don't show in 3D, they are just 2D double exposures. When I hit the 3D/2D button on the screen it will flip to the regular 2D picture, but when I try to set it back to 3D it will just do the same flat double exposure. Is there something wrong or a setting I have to turn on? When I take a picture it takes the picture in 3D, but then when I try to view it, same double exposure crap. Is there something wrong with my phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones