1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

[Official] Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE Pre-release thread - Sprint official launch is Saturday, June 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EarlyMon, Feb 25, 2012.

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Never judge a screen by photos or videos of it.

You get the screen resolution, the camera resolution (different) and they add up to -

Moir

Advertisement

kct1975 and PyroSporker like this.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  3. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Android Enthusiast

On the GNex thread some folks are enjoying there toys. I put out a cry for help to see if some of them are accidentally getting any LTE luv. I am doubtful but would be cool if some how the GNexus guys did. S4GRU is rumored live towers in Waco, TX.

Sprint 4G LTE is now live in Waco, TX

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert

I don't know if I've seen any other teardown for an HTC Beats Audio branded mobile device. But I had forgotten that the ill-fated HP/Palm Touchpad was also Beats Audio branded. Apparently it was also rocking a quality Wolfson-Micro codec, resulting in one of Anandtech's "best sounding tablet thus far."

Though I'm skeptical, I'm still hoping this means that we'll get better than average audio hardware...

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen

5. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Android Enthusiast

I am wondering if some machine shop have considered cutting around the aluminum band and then CNC slide lock cover to make.the battey removable?

6. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert

Would be much, much, much more trouble than it's worth. Check out the HTC One X teardown: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/536506-htc-one-x-teardown.html

For one thing, the battery itself is concealed with some kind of metal foil heatsink or EM shield, so you're going to be constantly removing/re-applying it when swapping batteries.

Next, because it's a non-swappable battery, there aren't battery contacts, but instead there's a thin wire and small plug (that would be easy to damage and hard to plug/unplug).

Also, because the batteries are not able to be swapped, they are not going to be readily available to consumers.

Finally, indications point to the battery being a Li-Polymer battery (so it's a malleable polymer instead of Li-Ion metal encased cells -- the advantage here is the size and weight reduction over Li-Ion cells) and that combined with it's intended non-removable use case means: it likely doesn't have any protective structural integrity and wouldn't survive bouncing around in a bag or pocket, would be easy to damage, and if damaged could result in overheating, explosions, and harm.

In other words, just buy a portable charger and call it a day. Alternatively, maybe a manufacturer will make a case that includes a battery like the many they have for the iPhone4 (which then brings us back to the limited after-market eco system of a niche device like the LTEvo and why it's better if HTC maintained its limited product portfolio).

Skid71, WifiMaxed, EarlyMon and 2 others like this.
  7. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert

8. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

9. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert

Yup. Basically, the S4 has a "massaged" Adreno GPU from the former dual-core Snapdragon (the S3, featured in the Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, etc.), as the S3 featured the Adreno 220, and the S4 has the 225 -- in other words, essentially the same generation GPU.

The Pro will feature a next-generation GPU, bumping up to the Adreno 3xx series, either 305 or 320; there should be vastly better graphics pushing. It's too bad we don't get to rock this.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member Thread Starter

According to this, the Pro will have the Adreno 320 GPU, everything else same as the MSM8960 in EL TEvo.

View attachment snapdragon-specs.pdf

Not sure I totally believe that Phandroid article - it's not supposed to be sampling until the second half of this year - production follows that, then Sony getting to use it follows that.

I'd be very surprised if we saw any Pro / Adreno 320 versions much before the end of the year in any phones.

BenChase7 likes this.
  11. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert

I just called Sprint and they told me I can call back on May 17th and get my upgrade on the 18th which would be two weeks early. Apparently it is coming out May 18th from what I've heard and read on the internet. I hope so!

BenChase7 likes this.
  12. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

^^
    Dang, thats awesome! When was your original upgraded date? I've asked Sprint for early upgrade in the past, and they have always given it to me.

Edit: never mind... just read your other post. Thats good news!

13. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert

I got an early one before two but I am being given one final upgrade om June 1st to use by the end of the year. So if the phone does come out on May 19th it's just 2 weeks early. They used to always give me a 50-100 dollar credit too for resigning right before I was getting my phone but she said they don't do that anymore. But after reading S4GRU and Good & EVO I am don't know who's right and who's wrong so I guess will wait and see but I would like the May 18th date to be true. But June 6th is ok too I guess. As long as I get the phone.

14. Sauske

Sauske Android Enthusiast

I don't know if I've been with Sprint to long or what!? They let me upgrade 3 months early... they send me reminder cards in the mail! Since everyone is talking about 2wks early, I won't bother them and upgrade 3 months early as I been doing! :D

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert

Yea... I've got several months early too. :) Definitely hard to complain about Sprints customer service.

16. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

Lol...me too. They've let me upgrade early many times. Only reason I'm not asking for early upgrade is to see the superphones in person first before deciding.

17. Sauske

Sauske Android Enthusiast

Sweet:dancing:

Smart Tactic!:fight:, I will get the LTEvo when it releases!

18. dodgeis4me

dodgeis4me Newbie

How much do we have to put down for pre order?

19. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

As of right now, the LTEvo is in the lead and I really do miss the EVO connection.

That said, Motorola has made a believer out of me, much more than HTC had in the past, so it's going to be a very tough decision.

The SGS3 is only a dark horse contender, but I'm not ruling it out completely.

20. crow11ad

crow11ad Android Enthusiast

Unless they changed this, I don't believe you have to put anything down. Just pay when you pick up the phone. Again this could have changed. I hope not.

21. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

i am still waiting to see how google will shape Moto!...
    what might be the next big phone from Moto...

22. RichboyJhae

RichboyJhae Android Enthusiast

On a side note... I guess a way to put it into some perspective about how remarkable the screen tech. that HTC is using in the One X/EVOLTE is that I remember checking out the Rezound for it's 720p 4.3 inch display, which theoretically should be the best considering it has a ppi of 346. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed. It was a very nice display, but nothing quite popped out at me as spectacular. On the other hand, after visiting AT&T to look at the One X, I was impressed at first glance, and could instantly notice the increased amount of detail on the display. The clarity of the One X far surpasses that of the Rezound, which goes to show that ppi may play second fiddle to actually screen technology. NOW GO CHECK OUT A ONE X

novox77 likes this.
  23. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert

All this talk about it and I have an AT&T store by me I'm gonna have to go in there and check out the One-X. I'm gonna call and see if they have one on display. I'm off all next week gonna stop in there one day.

24. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Android Enthusiast

With the pre-order on the gnex you had to pay for the whole thing up front, I don't see the evolte being any different.

PyroSporker likes this.
  25. crow11ad

crow11ad Android Enthusiast

Guess they changed it lol.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews