• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE Pre-release thread - Sprint official launch is Saturday, June 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, I was just doing a size comparison on Phonearena...Even though I like the idea of screens getting bigger, the overall real estate of the EVO One is bigger than the 3D or the MoPho. Not sure I like that. I wasn't a big fan of the SGS 2 size either, even though the phone was thin, it just didn't feel comfortable holding (to me), so I'd imagine this would feel the same/similar.

Upvote 0
HTC hasn't really been known of making real great quality screens. So how is that SLCD2 screen? I keep hearing its pretty awesome.

htc never made any screens.. they purchase from manufactures..

but.. i am on the fence about which might be better..
Amoled = to colorful (can be adjusted).. but has good power consumption and contrast.
SLCD2 = better colors, more natural..

Upvote 0
Calling all CPU/GPU-nerds and dev's:

Will the S4 have as much legs as the OG Evo's CPU/GPU? Will it still be super-fast as more multi-threaded app's and processes hit the market?

I'm still rolling with the OG Evo, and love that it's just recently feeling slow/outdated (but still just as awesome as my wife's recently purchased iP4S = suck it, apple!!) and giving me the itch for a new upgrade. I'm stuck between the Evo One and SGS3, and trying to determine if I want current domination in theoretical benchmarks, or possible future domination as the dev community picks up the pace in multi-threading...

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Well, I guess I'll have to wait and see what Motorola does for Sprint, but I'm eagerly waiting for the announcement next week.

I'll laugh at the up rising caused if Sprint does not announce the One-X variant next Wednesday - maybe they will wait to announce so they don't undercut any other 'lesser phone' they may want to release first. Or if they do announce it, and not meet 100% this newest rumor that everyone is accepting for fact, people will not be pleased.

Ooh, I was just doing a size comparison on Phonearena...Even though I like the idea of screens getting bigger, the overall real estate of the EVO One is bigger than the 3D or the MoPho. Not sure I like that. I wasn't a big fan of the SGS 2 size either, even though the phone was thin, it just didn't feel comfortable holding (to me), so I'd imagine this would feel the same/similar.

It is kind of hilarious that we try and do a size comparison for a phone that isn't even released yet, and in Sprint's case not even realized or confirmed. :D
Reports from MWC from people that held the One-X thought it felt really good in hand. Everyone has different opinions though.

How can they increase the screen size without increasing the overall real estate? :thinking:
Bezels are an unfortunate necessity to protect the edges of the glass. And to maintain certain screen ratios, the dimensions have to be a bit funny shaped.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
How can they increase the screen size without increasing the overall real estate? :thinking:

ICS is how. The way I understand it, ICS eliminates the need for "soft key" buttons because the buttons are integrated into the OS. So where there's soft key buttons on the current phones, that portion of the current phones could be used for increased screen viewing.

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
Calling all CPU/GPU-nerds and dev's:

Will the S4 have as much legs as the OG Evo's CPU/GPU? Will it still be super-fast as more multi-threaded app's and processes hit the market?

I'm still rolling with the OG Evo, and love that it's just recently feeling slow/outdated (but still just as awesome as my wife's recently purchased iP4S = suck it, apple!!) and giving me the itch for a new upgrade. I'm stuck between the Evo One and SGS3, and trying to determine if I want current domination in theoretical benchmarks, or possible future domination as the dev community picks up the pace in multi-threading...

Thoughts?

My thought is that, if you stuck it out with the OG Evo for this long, wait until the EVO One, SGS 3, and whatever Motorola offers, prior to making a decision.

From the sounds of it, Samsung stepped up their mobile phone support after the SGS 2 and Galaxy Note became so popular, which is good for us customers, but also makes it more difficult to make the right decision for each individual's own needs.

From my perspective, I'm still a little hesitant with Samsung. Had too many ill experiences with the Instinct and the Epic (not my phones, but other people that are on my plan), that I'm likely to make a decision between the EVO One and new Motorola phone (if I decide to upgrade again). As of right now, the EVO One is enough to make me consider an upgrade again, but the fact that Motorola's accessories are just so awesome is enough to hold me back to be more patient than I've been in the past.

Upvote 0
ICS is how. The way I understand it, ICS eliminates the need for "soft key" buttons because the buttons are integrated into the OS. So where there's soft key buttons on the current phones, that portion of the current phones could be used for increased screen viewing.

Yeah, I forgot about that. It would be nice if a manufacturer could get on board with that and make it happen.

However, even if they move them on screen they will still waste screen space a majority of the time. I'll miss my hardware buttons. Internet browsing without a dedicated back button will get frustrating. And an on screen button would take away from my window view. A notification bar style button bar or using gestures would get annoying.
I like the menu options a lot of applications have too.
Home is handy occasionally, but Search has always been pointless for me.

Upvote 0
oops :( who doesn't like icing though!

this feels like the original EVO launch all over again haha. rumors of the phone (accurate rumors) start to spread 2 months before release, followed by pictures a few days before the announcement then the agonizing wait until release

Absolutely right! I haven't been this excited seen the Evo 4G...Icing is awesome!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I forgot about that. It would be nice if a manufacturer could get on board with that and make it happen.

However, even if they move them on screen they will still waste screen space a majority of the time. I'll miss my hardware buttons. Internet browsing without a dedicated back button will get frustrating. And an on screen button would take away from my window view. A notification bar style button bar or using gestures would get annoying.
I like the menu options a lot of applications have too.
Home is handy occasionally, but Search has always been pointless for me.

Definitely understand where you're coming from, Pyro. That's one of the dilemma's. For me, only way I'm fine with losing the soft-key buttons, is if the overall real-estate of phones doesn't continue to increase in the manner that it has. I was perfectly fine with the EVO and now the MoPho, as far as overall size is concerned, but I'll just have to wait and see how all 3 of the superphones for Sprint are, prior to making a decision. I'm more than happy with the MoPho, but it'd be hard for me not to jump on an upgrade again, if the ICS phones are just that much faster w/ better battery life (w/ quad core processors, more RAM, and more internal storage).

Upvote 0
htc never made any screens.. they purchase from manufactures..

but.. i am on the fence about which might be better..
Amoled = to colorful (can be adjusted).. but has good power consumption and contrast.
SLCD2 = better colors, more natural..

I'm on the fence also. I watched a few videos on this but I'm still not sure. They both look good to me.

Upvote 0
I'm bias, I would say!? When windows started the smartphone, I've had and HTC phone and never really gave thought to other phone... especially after all the tech I know say that HTC phones are easier to hack and updates comes quick!

I was, until Sprint came out with their first Motorola Android superphone, in the Photon.

The "official" updates for Motorola have been on par with HTC's. It's Samsung that has always lagged behind (at least, in the US market..and prior to the popularity of the SGS 2). That said, the locked bootloaders which plagued Motorola phones, as far as rooting is concerned, definitely had a factor in people who wanted to root their phones immediately.

To this day, I haven't even ventured into the rooting realm yet, so that's never been a "deciding" factor for me.

Upvote 0
I was, until Sprint came out with their first Motorola Android superphone, in the Photon.

The "official" updates for Motorola have been on par with HTC's. It's Samsung that has always lagged behind (at least, in the US market..and prior to the popularity of the SGS 2). That said, the locked bootloaders which plagued Motorola phones, as far as rooting is concerned, definitely had a factor in people who wanted to root their phones immediately.

To this day, I haven't even ventured into the rooting realm yet, so that's never been a "deciding" factor for me.

Your right! Samsung suck in the united states...My friends have the GSII and they've been waiting on an update for a while! And that's a huge concern is rooting...When I'm on the go I use 4G speeds on my laptop and friends PS3 etc..

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones