• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Tab Specific Apps List

Tech Addiction

Android Expert
Apr 28, 2010
I'll start this off with a few that I know of. Please feel free to add. Please use a bullitt format to make it easier to find.

1) Wall Street Journal.
2) Mediafly.
3) Financial Times
4) MSN
5) Scribble
6) MegaSlot Pro HD for Tablet
7) Dead Space 2
8) MindWallet Tablet

Good idea, Tech Addiction. I suggest however that you keep this to tablet-specific apps (or versions of apps), not apps that happen to scale OK.
Don't forget, for those Apps that do not stretch to fit, you can always use the App 'Spare Parts'.
In it's Settings there is an option named 'Compatibility Mode' where you have to first un-check then re-check followed by rebooting your Tab.
When it reloads go back to Spare Parts and again un-check. Now again reboot and when it reloads again open Spare Parts you will notice it is now running in Full Screen.
At this point any other App that did not utilize the entire screen will now be doing so correctly.

Reactions: Longanoid
Upvote 0
Don't forget, for those Apps that do not stretch to fit, you can always use the App 'Spare Parts'.
In it's Settings there is an option named 'Compatibility Mode' where you have to first un-check then re-check followed by rebooting your Tab.
When it reloads go back to Spare Parts and again un-check. Now again reboot and when it reloads again open Spare Parts you will notice it is now running in Full Screen.
At this point any other App that did not utilize the entire screen will now be doing so correctly.
He was referring to my original post before i went back and edited it. I was asking for all apps that worked correctly but I agree with him that we should keep this list to Tab specific since those apps will have the right look, feel, and function that takes advantage of the larger screen and not just scaling correctly. Thanks for the tip though, that was found by jkkmobile and he has a few write ups and tear downs on the Tab at his site.

Upvote 0
Tab specific means just that. Wall Street Journal will not work on a phone. It clearly states Tab only. It doesnt matter whether the OS is optimized for tablet or not. An app can be designed just for the tab without a specific OS.

So what about the rest and DoodleJump which you gave a vote of thanks for.
They are not Tab specific.

Upvote 0
I didn't go and research to see if it was indeed a Tab specific app. I thought the thread tltle was self explanitory. I give thanks when people contribute to a thread. The Apps I listed all said Tab specificaly in their name or explanation on the Market. The iPad was lauched able to use iphone and iPod Touch apps eventhough iPad specific apps were ready at launch as well. The iPad has an iPad specific OS but it doesn't do anything different when you try and use an iPhone app on it. I just don't understand why everyone is wrapped around the OS on the Tab. Sure a new OS that's Tab specific will open up new capabilities but it wont make a phone app function different. You still need a Tab specific app to take advantage of the Tabs screen. I'm just saying that Apps are already here to take advantage of the screen size. The stock calculator app looks like an old persons phone. We don't need 3.7 screen size icons and buttons on the Tab. A real Tablet app will have appropriately sized buttons and icons.

Upvote 0
Look, I'm not trying to be difficult (on the contrary, if you read my other posts you will see I am a very good listener who strives to do nothing else than offer help and assistance ~ my Thanks counter is evidence to this) but when you look at the topic title from an outsider's point of view Tab specific means it is designed to only work for a Tablet whereas Tab compatible means it will work on a Tablet.
Now this is where you have to be careful in what content you allow in the topic otherwise you stand the risk of outsiders arguing (and again that is not my stance on the subject) the merits of the Apps given.

As an example ~ Looking at a few of the items mentioned; Scribble is in fact a Market App titled Scibble Tablet Edition and it is designed specifically to take advantage of large, high dpi tablets like the Galaxy Tab whereas Dead Space 2 has been tested on Eris, Droid, Droid2, Galaxy, Galaxy S and is ready for Tablets. In other words it was not written specifically for the Tablet but is compatible with the Tablet.
The same can be said for DoodleJump which is not written specifically for the Tablet but is compatible with a Tablet.

Do you get my drift.... All I am saying is you have to be very careful what Apps you allow as Tablet Specific. :)

Upvote 0
Look, I'm not trying to be difficult (on the contrary, if you read my other posts you will see I am a very good listener who strives to do nothing else than offer help and assistance ~ my Thanks counter is evidence to this) but when you look at the topic title from an outsider's point of view Tab specific means it is designed to only work for a Tablet whereas Tab compatible means it will work on a Tablet.
Now this is where you have to be careful in what content you allow in the topic otherwise you stand the risk of outsiders arguing (and again that is not my stance on the subject) the merits of the Apps given.

As an example ~ Looking at a few of the items mentioned; Scribble is in fact a Market App titled Scibble Tablet Edition and it is designed specifically to take advantage of large, high dpi tablets like the Galaxy Tab whereas Dead Space 2 has been tested on Eris, Droid, Droid2, Galaxy, Galaxy S and is ready for Tablets. In other words it was not written specifically for the Tablet but is compatible with the Tablet.
The same can be said for DoodleJump which is not written specifically for the Tablet but is compatible with a Tablet.

Do you get my drift.... All I am saying is you have to be very careful what Apps you allow as Tablet Specific. :)
Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
What other tab specific apps are out there?...By tab specific I mean apps that take full(for the most part) advantage as the tabs screen size and whatnot like the tabs default music player for example.
Depends on what you are looking for but most apps I have found utilize the screen.
Do you have a Tab yet? If so the easiest answer is to install and try, if it doesn't fit correctly then un-install.

Upvote 0
Depends on what you are looking for but most apps I have found utilize the screen.
Do you have a Tab yet? If so the easiest answer is to install and try, if it doesn't fit correctly then un-install.

Yes, I do have a Tab and I love it to death. And I also have spare parts, so I was able to view tv.com app in large view as well as a giant Sonic screwdriver.

I suppose what I am trying to ask is about the split screen thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones