• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Official unrevoked 3.22 released!!

Question(s). I have done the update, re-rooted etc etc.

Now if I choose not to install another ROM, can I still apply Mods (i.e. battery, status icons etc) with my standard FROYO. Or do I have to re-install a Stock Froyo ROM?

If I do have to install a FROYO ROM, will I loose the update, even if the ROM DEV does not have it "baked" in?

Once your phone is rooted you don't need a custom rom to do mods. It's just that some mods are not easy to do and some people don't have the required skills to do them so flashing a custom rom that has those mods incorporated is easier. For instance changing a boot animation is pretty easy but changing the lockscreen takes more skill.

And yes you lose the update if you flash a ROM that doesn't have it baked in.

Upvote 0
Once your phone is rooted you don't need a custom rom to do mods. It's just that some mods are not easy to do and some people don't have the reqired skills to do them so flashing a custom rom that has those mods incorporated is easier. For instance changing a boot animation is pretty easy but changing the lockscreen takes more skill.

And yes you lose the update if you flash a ROM that doesn't have it incorpoarted.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Correct. You need to use Root Explorer to put the apps back. You need root permission to write to the apps directory. Astro won't do it. Make sure you select R/W mode at the top of Root Explorer.

Okay, first off thank you everyone. Quick reply.

So I had to use a combination of things and did end up buying root explorer and that did help! Essentially, It was quite a pain to figure out everything that was missing, I essentially had to copy a file, test the update, copy another file, test the update, until it worked.

At present, the update did finally apply, root gone, re-rooted with Unrevoked 3.22. Everything seems to be working well. Backed the entire thing up using TitaniumBackup, good to go! Thanks again for everyone's help. It's nice when forum replies are helpful, and not meant to make me feel DUMB!

On a side note, so if it's not a good idea to remove the bloat-ware-crap, is there truly a way to prevent them from at least starting up? I've got ATK setup to kill apps regularly, but I wish there were a way to prevent them from starting up with the phone boot process.

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Okay, first off thank you everyone. Quick reply.

So I had to use a combination of things and did end up buying root explorer and that did help! Essentially, It was quite a pain to figure out everything that was missing, I essentially had to copy a file, test the update, copy another file, test the update, until it worked.

At present, the update did finally apply, root gone, re-rooted with Unrevoked 3.22. Everything seems to be working well. Backed the entire thing up using TitaniumBackup, good to go! Thanks again for everyone's help. It's nice when forum replies are helpful, and not meant to make me feel DUMB!

On a side note, so if it's not a good idea to remove the bloat-ware-crap, is there truly a way to prevent them from at least starting up? I've got ATK setup to kill apps regularly, but I wish there were a way to prevent them from starting up with the phone boot process.

Thanks...

You can just move them to a disabled folder then put it all back when you want to update. I am using the Virtuous ROM and it has an app called Virtuous Buddy that helps to remove and reinstall the bloat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones