• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root official update MARSHMALLOW 6.0 for LG MAGNA

titeuf15

May 14, 2015
Hello people ...

Here it's official ... since two days ago the official update for our LG MAGNA for version 6.0 of Android.

We had to wait a long time .. but ... essentially it's there.

Contrary to what I expected ... it is very well done ... I mean the LG interface with this version of MM. The least I can say is that it is purified ... LG overlay is married to that of pure Android ... finished the coarseness of the characters and the colors too dull (for my taste) of LG interface .

Frankly I like it a lot.

It remains to wait for an opportunity to ... ROOT and a custom recovery (why not :rolleyes:... I'm always up for a custom ROM;)).

To come to this update ... it is only available for the CIS countries yet .. but .KDZ is available for download .. and it is this version that I installed CIS.

So for those who have received the update OTA .. it can install ... for those in a hurry (like me) .. or have ROOT their phone and install TWRP .. they can install this update via OTA ... so must follow this method.

I want to thank my friend Berong the XDA forum which was the precursor to try it and I was a big help to do it.

I put the method to the next post.

So ... to install this version of Marshmallow ... we will need the following.

Euuuh .. you are solely responsible for anything that may happen to your phone by following this method ... neither me nor Androidforums are responsible .. blah .. you are warned :).

So .. we will need:

- The .KDZ (V20A for CIS) of course available here : http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=237
- The LG Flashtool 1.8.6.527 utility from here : https://www.sendspace.com/file/df0h5a
- The extraction utility KDZ from here : https://www.sendspace.com/file/cqq0kk
- The LG drivers here : https://www.sendspace.com/file/6jtwob

First stage :

1- Download and install the drivers for LG

2. Extract the .KDZ
The purpose of this operation is to extract the .KDZ to use it in the flash utility.
To do this ..
- Download and Install KDZ Extractor ..
- Launch the application and select the file .KDZ
- Check all files (3) ... and click Extract KDZ
- When finished, we will have 3 new files (.DLL + .DZ + LIB).

Of these three the only files .DZ and .DLL will be used later.

3- INSTALL LG Flashtool:

- Download LG FLASTOOL RAR
- Unzip the archive
- Install it.
- Copy and paste the MegaLock.dll file in the installation folder (default c:\LG ).

4- Change Port communication :

- Connect the phone to the USB
- Go to Device Manager
- Find "Ports (COM & LPT)", click on the tab on the left to expand it. You should see "LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COM)".
- Double click on "LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COM)"> Port Settings> Advanced> next to "COM Port Number" choose "COM41".
- Click on "OK" and then "OK" again.

Here .. now everything is ready .. move to flash the firmware.

Second step :

- Switch off the phone.
- Go DOWNLOAD mode : off phone ... press and hold volume UP plug the usb cable (you are in Download mode).
- Launch LG Flashtool
- Select the manual mode
- Click on "..." and choose the .DLL file (the one extracted earlier from the KDZ).
- Click on "Add" and the choose .DZ file (the one extracted earlier from the KDZ).
- Uncheck upgrade dl and check board dl (very important).
- OK
- In the new window .. just click on yellow arrow (Top left)
- The flash process starts and takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Once finished .. it should display PASS
- The phone will restart

That's it ... you just have to configure your phone and enjoy.

PS: it may be that first start you come across a kind thing: FACTORY RESET STATUS .. then just do (thanks for BERONG) :

1. Remove Battery
2. Power on
3. Do not touch the screen when you see MINI OS
4. Hold power button while MINI OS visible in screen
5. A menu will pop out... Find NORMAL BOOT (+POWER) .
6. Tap that while holding the power button (by clicking simultaneously on several occasions on NORMAL BOOT and the POWER).

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones