1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Official vehicle dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TobesEtc, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    When my phone is in the vehicle dock the sound is pumped out of the car speakers perfectly until I take a call, at which point it reverts to the phone speaker. Whilst the mI've is able to pick up my voice from the cradle, I can't hear the speaker.

How do you get it to continue to use the external speakers whilst in a call?

Yes, use external speaker whilst docked is selected.

Advertisement

2. no66

no66 Newbie
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Norway
    Been trying to do the same, but to no avail.

I'm using Car home Ultra.

No matter what setting, phone goes thru phone speakers.
    Music goes thru car speakers ok

3. Liam42

Liam42 Lurker
    None

May 30, 2010
    I'm having the same issue, tho bizzarely I did get it to work for a while, I have now bought 5 audio cables ranging from 99p to

4. Kibbster

Kibbster Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    Bristol, UK
    I get a similar problem with Car home Ultra.
    Music works perfectly but if I get a call then music won't go through Bluetooth again until I turn bluetooth off and back on again and reconnect.

5. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    I just use the built in music app or spotify, connect to my stereo using a 3.5mm cable, and attach it to the windscreen using a holder. Works perfectly.. Music plays, music is muted when I get a call/notification and automatically starts again afterwards. Works whether I have a Bluetooth headset connected or not.

6. chillibean

chillibean Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    customer services
    Cambs UK
    I use power amp, deezer and the stock music player through the aux on my car and get call audio through my car speakers no problem. I have a Honda with the stock stereo but shouldn't make a difference what stereo you have unless you are using USB

7. Liam42

Liam42 Lurker
    None

May 30, 2010
    cheers all...
    having tried several cables, different music players, all the settings on the phone the dock, another S2 and the earphone jack on the phone I have to assume the issue is with the stereo somehow... unfortunately I cant swap that out :p

ah well....

8. TobesEtc

None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    Guys - I don't see how it can be the stereo. With my connections, using the official/samsung car dock, the music connects in to the stereo through an aux-in RCA socket.

Could it be that the phone cannot output call audio if it isn't using an external mic? Obviously with my set up I would expect to use the external speakers but internal mic. Maybe that isn't possible.

So, perhaps I should try connecting an external mic somewhere? Is that possible to do in-line before the Stereo aux-in?

Hmmm... I'll look at some mic cables/connectors and see what i find.

9. TobesEtc

None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    no66 likes this.
  10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    My S2 works with my Mitsubishi Fuze HFS. Bluetooth audio streams through stereo and calls pause playback while in call (through the car's speakers). When the call ends, Bluetooth audio resumes. Granted I have the AT&T (i777) version and am still on Gingerbread 2.3.6, but it might be an incompatibility with your car/HFS. Something to consider, anyway.

11. no66

no66 Newbie
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Norway
    TobesEtc,

hope this works, let us know!

12. TobesEtc

None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    OK, good news and bad news.

1) The "Official Vehicle Dock" does not work properly. You cannot connect the phone mic through it (the 3.5mm socket on the bottom does audio out, not mic-in). Meaning that it is useless if you want to use your phone as a ...er...phone! I'd say that is a big enough "feature" to make it "unsuitable for purpose" in UK law. Unless someone has worked out how to do that or they update the app.

2) You can get the phone to work if you connect it via the top 3.5mm socket. The splitter I bought, when connected to the top socket, correctly directed audio to the car HU and mic-in to an attached microphone. Then you do need the splitter I linked in an earlier comment above plus a mic.

(FYI As soon as anything is connected in the top is disables the bottom 3.5mm socket)

But - here's where I suspect some people are going wrong - the Vlingo software defaults to turning ON speaker phone, so as soon as the call connects the sound is taken from the car speakers to the phone speakers. This may be why some people hear voice commands through the car stereo but then it diverts to phone speakers when the call connects. If you disable this, the sound stays going through the car speakers. Within Vlingo select Menu>Settings>Voice Talk Settings and then un-tick Auto-start Speakerphone. You also need to ensure Driving Mode is enabled in Vlingo.

Happy to try something else if anyone has any suggestions. My suggestion - don't buy the official vehicle dock!
    (PS: Have submitted a ticket to My Samsung asking for clarification about the Dock 3.5mm socket carrying mic signal or not).

no66 likes this.
  13. TobesEtc

None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    Samsung support don't have a clue what they are talking about. Don't appear to know there is a 3.5mm socket on the back of the dock. They did sarcastically ask what car supports audio through a cigarette lighter socket - at which point I wanted to ram the dock somewhere unpleasant!

One guy said the dock will pass the mic signal, but I don't think it will. And if it did, I don't think Android is capable at present of doing it.

I am still persevering with support, but don't expect resolution before my S3 arrives next week! ;-)

And if they had been that sarcastic to me before I placed the order I promise I would have bought a HTC One X instead.

14. TobesEtc

None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    As suspected the Vehicle Dock does not support calls. Here's the response from Samsung:

"The vehicle dock is for the use of Sat Nav etc when driving, and to
    listen to music through your car speakers if it has an auxiliary
    connection. Since most cars do not support microphone signals via a
    auxiliary connection, and only support audio the car dock does not
    output microphone signals via the auxiliary port, I am sorry for the
    miss-understanding."

So, a mobile phone "vehicle dock" that does not support telephone calls. That's useful...