1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Official Vehicle Dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FCUM, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

Have you tried if the ball joint in the Garmin mount would fit your dock? I have a friction pad but does require the suction cap to install a separate Mount.

Happy New Year!!!

Advertisement

2. JimSmith94

JimSmith94 Android Enthusiast

3. Thomas S

Thomas S Member

Yep that's the one I got for Christmas. I posted about it a few posts up. The 12v charger plug is flimsy. It works with the thin case I got from Verizon.

4. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

Should work fine. I used to use dashboard mounts all the time, but I realized how hot my phone would get, without any way to really cool it down, which is why I decided to get a proclip mount w/ a garmin ball joint mounting plate (for my mount w/ my MoPho). Now, I just purchased the richter mounting clip to work with the Note 2 holders I bought from ebay.

The Note 1 dock should be here sometime on Monday or Tuesday and can't wait to figure out how to make it work exactly as I need it to.

NeoGrandizer likes this.
  5. JimSmith94

Thanks Thomas. Sorry I forgot where I saw mention of this. Does this dock put your phone into car dock mode or have you figured out how to do that?

6. Thomas S

Thomas S Member

Nope, haven't tried yet. I'd imagine you'd just need a programmable nfc tile to do that

7. serpa4

serpa4 Android Expert

Can you post a few pictures?
    The ones on the websights are computer generated.
    Also, how do you adjust the volume rocker buttons? I.e. they are on the bottom of the phone. I've seen two pictures with different chargers. On the Migidi website, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Car Mount Cradle it shows a standard charger without the speaker. If I get that because the speaker one is too big to fit in my car, how do you control the volume? I would think the volume control is on the speaker plug opposite the on/off button. No pictures show where the volume control is. I'd like to consider this in place of the iBolt which is not a Note 2 dock, it's generic and fits everything out there. Too many little adjustable feet, and small parts.
    My droid X dock was very similar to the MigiDi dock you have. Do you have to close the top latch? On my Droid X which had that same clamp on the top, I absolutely never used it and it was fine for 2 years.
    I did not see any videos on youtube.

I can get it with the speaker for $33. Less than the iBolt and possible more secure.
    Also, have you got it to activate the car dock mode "automatically" when docked? I.e. I don't want to push a button to activate it. My Droid X and wifes Razr both turn on car dock, rotate horizontally when docked.
    Does yours rotate "automatically" to horizontal? That is a BIG deal to me. Hopefully it does. I have an app that does it, but I have to touch a button to activate it, then when I remove the phone off my dock, i have to again turn off the app.

8. drexappeal

Good thing I bought the note 1 dock. The clasp for one of my ebay holders broke (I think the car wash people did it without my realizing until now).

9. Thomas S

Thomas S Member

Here's a few pics. You can't adjust the volume, it's completely covered. Best thing to do is just turn it all the way up and leave it that way. You're in the car, it will be noisy anyway. I included a shot with the charger. Like I said, it's flimsy. If you try to pull it by the cord like I had to because of the design of my car's 12v outlet, it will come apart. I think you could probably use it without the top latch but I wouldn't. Not a big deal to flip down the lock. It works with my case but it's a bit of a tight fit. I included a shot or two with the insert installed and with out out and the phone with and without the case. I have my phone's orientation set to auto so it will go to landscape automatically. The dock doesn't include anything to automatically go to car mode. You'd have to get an nfc tec tile and program it I guess.
    I can tell you that the suction cup locks and is very secure. There is a disc included that you can affix to your dash to mount it that way. Not something I would ever do but it's there. My biggest problem is figuring out where to mount it where it won't block much of my view. I'm thinking on the passenger side next to the rear view mirror. I will probably order a tablet car charger that is better built and probably will actually be able to charge the phone while I'm using it. Or just skip the charger.

Attached Files:

10. serpa4

serpa4 Android Expert

Thanks for the quick response. Did you put the phone in landscape or did it do it by itself?
    Why did you go for this dock over the iBolt (which isnt out)? I know it was your wife who purchased and the iBolt wasn't out. Probably the reason.

11. Thomas S

Thomas S Member

Exactly, iBolt wasn't out and I figured since it was a gift I had nothing to lose. And I wanted something that was made exactly to fit my phone. And I liked that it works with or without a case.

I have my phone set up to auto rotate through Go Launcher.

12. JimSmith94

As serpa4 mentioned, I hadn't noticed that the volume keys aren't accessible with this dock. They were accessible on my OEM Galaxy S2 dock, but I don't know that I ever used them, other than to be sure it was turned up all the way. I guess that might be +1 for iBOLT.

Thomas, the charger plug in your pictures looks different than the one in the web site links. The MobileFun link says, "The charger also activates the Note 2 car mode, so you get quick access to all the features you need most while driving." Could that be why yours doesn't activate car mode?

The site also says it, "features a speaker and microphone system, volume control and a multi-function button to accept/make or end calls." Does your plug do that? I think those features might negate the lack of volume control on the phone itself.

13. Thomas S

Thomas S Member

Nope, mine doesn't have any of those features. I got hosed! Id like to have that plug though.

14. drexappeal

Ok guys, got the note 1 dock. While the people on xda who said the dock won't fit (to the point of almost breaking their phone) were 100% wrong, it'd take quite a bit of modification to make this worth fitting. So, I am returning this to Samsung tomorrow. That said, it's so close that with the right modification, I think the oem note 1 dock could absolutely work. I just don't have the time to do it, otherwise it would definitely be a fun project. Now, I just have to decide which dock I'll purchase now. I was gonna just purchase another ebay dock, but might try something else just to experiment.

15. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I got my new case, put the tetrax disc on there, and I've successfully mounted my note 2 to the textrax with no problems at all. Phone isn't slipping or pulling the textrax off the vent. I'm not sure what is going on with your setup but I can say with confidence that mine is working perfectly.

16. drexappeal

I'm biting the bullet and giving iBolt a shot. Sold out right now, so I have some time. I may even purchase another cheap ebay dock just to use temporarily.

17. drexappeal

Just purchased a cheap replacement from ebay because I forgot that I had ebay bucks to use. Cost me .21, so I'll be covered, as far as docks are concerned.

18. swade8

swade8 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a car dock mount, that will hold my galaxy note 2 with my otterbox defender case still attached.. anyone have any recommendations. Thanks.

19. drexappeal

Ibolt or oem universal

swade8 likes this.
  20. drexappeal

Did anybody purchase and/or receive their iBolt dock yet?

I purchased through shopandroid and just saw that the latest update is my order won't be ready for shipment until Mid-March!...LOL. Good thing I had ebay bucks to purchase one of the cheap ebay holders.

I might end up cancelling my order, but figured I'd check if anybody else has received their dock and get some feedback on how they like it.

21. raiderleaf

raiderleaf Member

Mine supposedly shipped last Monday (over a week ago) and I still haven't received it. Hopefully it arrives soon.

22. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

XDA forum has a number of posts with people having problems with iBolt (MHL adapter not working, etc.). I wonder if they suspended shipment until problems get resolved?

Which ebay holder/adapter did you order?

A few days ago I placed an order for this $3.95 clip adapter: [​IMG]Universal Car Windshield Mount Holder Suction Stand for iPhone 5 4S One x s GPS | eBay I know its a knock of another brand name design, but figured to try it out anyway.

23. Puppa

Puppa Android Enthusiast

I use an Otterbox Defender case, and obviously don't want to take it off to use a dock. Then I found this site:
    Please Select Your SlipGrip Holder

Haven't ordered yet, but a custom snap-in fit sounds phenomenal. They have ones for other cases as well.

24. drexappeal

I ordered the similar one that I had posted before. Keep in mind, I'm using the proclip mount, not the one that comes with the holder:
    Car Vehicle Air Vent Mount Holder Bracket Stand for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 | eBay

25. drexappeal

Interesting. Link you provided was for the Note 1, but they do have stuff for the Note 2

Galaxy Note II

Only thing is, pricing is kinda high just like the ebay one I ordered, but for those that use a case, it looks like a decent option. The Samsung universal at 50% off might be more preferred by some at that price, but decent option.

Puppa likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews