• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*OFFICIAL* Xoom vs iPad 2 Discussions

Its just like Xbox or ps3. This conversation will never be one by either side. I have both the xoom and ipad2. I find myself using the xoom much more, but I tend to use the I pad for movies. I like how the xoom can be set up an a thousand different configurations to suit anyone. I pad is very limited with customization besides wallpaper and icon hilighters. Ipad2 has a good video chat but sucks it can only be used with wifi. The I pad seems more to me like a big iPod touch... the apps just don't seem to excite me all that much, but the games seem very good. The only other complaint I have with the I pad is iTunes. ITunes annoys me to no end. You have to sync it to a personal computer to even get started. Android is way more advanced with cloud use. I would be lying if I said I didn't use the I pad, I still like it but the xoom feels like a unique way to use a tablet.....

Upvote 0
I don't own a iPad 2, but about 2 or so weeks ago I decided to buy a iPad 1 and I own a Xoom, and They each have their ups and downs...

With the Xoom: You can do bluetooth a lot easier as well as live wallpapers and everything else android has to offer.

With the iPad: better screen for watching movies and playing game(like Infinity Blade, Peggle and Peggle Nights HD, etc) and for some reason it seems many devs put more work into a ipad app then a android app...Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich will change all that though

Upvote 0
I don't own a iPad 2, but about 2 or so weeks ago I decided to buy a iPad 1 and I own a Xoom, and They each have their ups and downs...

With the Xoom: You can do bluetooth a lot easier as well as live wallpapers and everything else android has to offer.

With the iPad: better screen for watching movies and playing game(like Infinity Blade, Peggle and Peggle Nights HD, etc) and for some reason it seems many devs put more work into a ipad app then a android app...Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich will change all that though

Until you jailbreak, then you can find a live wallpaper app in Cydia. Probably more than one. I do not like them because they drain Mr. Battery. In my opinion, live wallpapers are useless and likely are not that important.

I have never found a problem using Bluetooth with my iPad. Not sure it is easier.

Devs create apps for the iPad because there are more iPad users. As the Android tablet grows, I am sure there will be more native Android tablet applications.

Upvote 0
After selling my Xoom on eBay I bought a 64GB iPad 2 at Target. I bought the smart cover, Bluetooth keyboard, Bigstream to connect it to my projector in my classroom, and a stylus to use with Notesplus. There are several things that I miss from Android OS. I miss the ability to download apps without having to reenter my password again each time that I try to download one. I miss the ease of sharing photos with social networking websites. I miss the gmail app in the Xoom, Apples mail sucks. The la k of customization isn't as awful as I'd imagined but I do miss my widgets. Swiftkey keyboard has me spoiled and the stock iPad keyboard leaves a lot to be desired. The rear camera is a huge joke compared even to my old LG Dare. It takes horrible still photos. Not really sure why Apple even bothered to put it on there. Finally, most of all I HATE syncing through iTunes.

The fact that Netflix, Huluplus, and iTunes movies just work out of the box is amazing. The ability to stream my iPad to my projector easily is AMAZING. I know that is not a big deal to many people, but for me it's huge. It sucks that apps like Time Warner Cable streaming live TV isn't there for Hineycomb or any Android device. It's a really nice feature. True not all channels are there but Cartoon Network, Disney, XD, and Animal Planet are and my kids love it. I really haven't missed Flash one bit. The games available are overwhelming after coming from Android. Sure most really good ones cost, but they are worth it. I teach 3rd grade and there are more iPad 2 education apps than there are apps for the Xoom.

All in all, I LOVE my Dinc, couldn't see myself ever getting an iPhone but for ME, not for everyone, for MY NEEDS the iPad 2 is there. Even with all the things I don't like, it is the closest to delivering all that I need.

Thank you, Cincy! I also teach third grade! :) I need to make a decision asap whether I wanted an iPad or Xoom for my standards-based grading pilot in my classroom. This was the exact review I was looking for! The ability to easily connect it to my projector is also a must for me as I'm tired of lugging my personal laptop to school every day to show PowerPoints (it does do that, right?) and play games as a class. I love the Android system and was tempted by the Xoom only because I know the OS well. Yet the iPad has much great possibilities in the classroom. I think they ordered too many Xooms and didn't get enough takers because they are trying to push the Xoom on the Android phone operators and iPad on iPhone owners.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones