• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*OFFICIAL* Xoom vs iPad 2 Discussions

Amazon won't drop their app.

They have to provide an in app solution, but people can always still go to the website to buy books if you don't want to give Apple money.

Same with netflix...they have to provide an in app solution to start a subscription, but you can just as easily (or most people probably have service via the web), then apple gets none of that I am pretty sure.

Upvote 0
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol

Do you use Blackboard? We use that and Wimba, which also requires flash, and Blackboard uses flash to put all the interactive content in the lecture material. It's the #1 reason why iPad was a no-go for me. If I can't do school work on it, it's not worth it to me.

Upvote 0
Amazon won't drop their app.

They have to provide an in app solution, but people can always still go to the website to buy books if you don't want to give Apple money.

Same with netflix...they have to provide an in app solution to start a subscription, but you can just as easily (or most people probably have service via the web), then apple gets none of that I am pretty sure.
That's the problem. "People" don't know the difference. They're going to use the one click method over going to a separate website, logging in, etc.

I'm betting more than a few companies drop their iPhone App Store Apps and focus on Android. Since Android OS does have more market share, and they won't lose 30% of their in-app purchase profits.

Upvote 0
I'm betting more than a few companies drop their iPhone App Store Apps and focus on Android. Since Android OS does have more market share, and they won't lose 30% of their in-app purchase profits.

Ehh. I'm gonna have to disagree. Losing some of their profit to Apple is better than not making any profit off their app, right? I really don't see any companies doing this, especially someone like Netflix or Amazon. And it's not like they can't do Apple AND Android.

Upvote 0
Ehh. I'm gonna have to disagree. Losing some of their profit to Apple is better than not making any profit off their app, right? I really don't see any companies doing this, especially someone like Netflix or Amazon. And it's not like they can't do Apple AND Android.

Sorry, no, losing some of their profit due to predatory and unfair practices led to immediate saber-rattling over violation of anti-trust laws.

This wasn't a minor sticking point - more like a humongous issue.

To catch up on some of it, maybe see - http://androidforums.com/lounge/279...trust-over-subscriptions-their-app-store.html

Remember - these aren't pikers we're talking about, these are devs with money-making enterprises that Apple tried to move on as if running a protection racket.

Upvote 0
Sorry, no, losing some of their profit due to predatory and unfair practices led to immediate saber-rattling over violation of anti-trust laws.

This wasn't a minor sticking point - more like a humongous issue.

To catch up on some of it, maybe see - http://androidforums.com/lounge/279...trust-over-subscriptions-their-app-store.html

Remember - these aren't pikers we're talking about, these are devs with money-making enterprises that Apple tried to move on as if running a protection racket.

Worse than that these are direct competitors to Apple's own services that we're talking about. Netflix competes with iTunes for video. Kindle/Nook compete with iBooks for e-books. The argument is going to be very easy to make and very difficult for Apple to defend against. It most definitely gives them an unfair advantage over their rivals.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Apple's been able to fend off some of those issues quite handily so far, and I supported that. Bottom line is that consumers choosing a device with a natural vendor tie-in to their own market was ok (several EU members went ape over this and even without the home-field advantage, Apple prevailed).

This is a definite turning point - and could re-raise those issues as you suggest.

Upvote 0
Sure, I get that, but, this isn't what many of them signed on for. They're CHANGING the terms after the fact. That's what's going to get them into trouble this time. They got all these companies to invest in their infrastructure and architecture and then pulled a bait and switch on them. The lawsuits are going to be ugly and there's going to be very little Apple can say to defend it this time.

Upvote 0
:cool: I meant in relation to the forums here, not like with facebook (or any of those others). Not sure if any forums are set up for that (lack of implementation in the software I would immagine).

Yep, we're not there yet, but many Evo guys posted a public test name they created to check out and help trouble-shoot videochat issues - no reason you cats can't start a thread just for that.

Might be helpful to everyone to find out what the best option is that plays well with both tablets.

Personally, I like videochat, use it for work a LOT.

Upvote 0
Yep, we're not there yet, but many Evo guys posted a public test name they created to check out and help trouble-shoot videochat issues - no reason you cats can't start a thread just for that.

Might be helpful to everyone to find out what the best option is that plays well with both tablets.

Personally, I like videochat, use it for work a LOT.

I know this is slightly off topic for this thread, but, what IS the best method for video chatting between an iPad2 and a Xoom? Has anyone found anything acceptable that works? I ask cause I could really truly use a solution for that right now. As in today.

Upvote 0
That's the problem. "People" don't know the difference. They're going to use the one click method over going to a separate website, logging in, etc.

well to your point its a problem to the app developers....not the customer.
its better for the consumer in the short run since it does make things easier. Probably bad in the long term because it will stop app development (or slow it down) for the iPad so they lose in the long run.

I don't disagree with Apple taking more of a cut, but its not smart on Apple's end to take a portion so high that companies cannot even operate in that space. I think 5--10% would have been more appropriate.

To be honest, I didn't think Apple was going anywhere, BUT if they enforce this strictly and do not change it, THIS could be the turn for Apple in a bad way.

Upvote 0
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol

Flash Flash Flash its all about Flash ... Iswifter app allows flash video to play on an IPAD and puffin browser, skyfire do also and you can get them free. You got a problem there is an App for it. Xoom is still better cause its all in there out of the box.

Upvote 0
well to your point its a problem to the app developers....not the customer.
its better for the consumer in the short run since it does make things easier. Probably bad in the long term because it will stop app development (or slow it down) for the iPad so they lose in the long run.

I don't disagree with Apple taking more of a cut, but its not smart on Apple's end to take a portion so high that companies cannot even operate in that space. I think 5--10% would have been more appropriate.

To be honest, I didn't think Apple was going anywhere, BUT if they enforce this strictly and do not change it, THIS could be the turn for Apple in a bad way.

What I'd REALLY like to see happen is not everyone jumping from iOS, but for the developers to pull their apps from the App Store and put them on Cydia. Then developers could keep their money, liberate themselves from Apple's app scrutiny, and really push jailbreaking into the mainstream.

It kinda reminds me of those J.G. Wentworth commercials, all the developers would be like "It's my money, and I need it now!"

Upvote 0

I suspect that your school, like mine, may use Pearson software. They're the 800.lb gorilla in online education software. And yeah, they use flash. It's one of the primary reasons I'm looking at a xoom. That and the card slot. And of course the addition by subtraction of no itunes. Which is a fine program I'm sure, I just don't care for it myself.

Upvote 0
My school uses "desire2learn" for all online interactions. The process is perfect on the xoom, but was a big NO GO on the ipad. Also, despite the thinness of the IP2, I still like the 10.1 form factor...especially in portrait mode, which I use a lot. Also, with thumb keyboard on my xoom, the keyboard on the ipad2 is a major PITA. Either way, I am happy now, I no longer have ipad2 envy, and I can live happily ever after with my xoom, at least for several months, which is an eternity in a techies life.

Upvote 0
So would Motorola be happy with these sales numbers?

ipad $499: 30,000,000
ipad $729: 120,000
xoom $799: 130,000

I wouldn't think so...

Seriously?

And how long has the I pad been out? :rolleyes:

I'll just leave this here...

35897.png

Like many, I have no plans to use 3G/4G on the tablet, I'll just tether wifi from my phone if ever find myself in that situation. Storage is not a major issue; I don't know why anyone would need 64GB, unless they're using their tablet as their primary media storage device, which I would find odd.

Motorola and Android are new to the tablet market. The Xoom isn't familiar to most people and sits in a dark corner of Best Buy with finger smudges all over it. If not one of "us" (people keeping up with mobile computing trends), one might consider it a "fringe" device, reserved for highly technical gadgeteers.

The Xoom should have been cheaper. IMO, for $100 less, they'd still be desperately shipping cartons of them to retailers every week for the next few months. Instead, they sit on the shelves. Obviously, lack of a wifi-only unit at a lower price point hurt.

<yawn>

Benchmarks != overall user experience

Let's remember that some of these same 'arguments were posed in the early days of the phone races. Android continues to take market share.

Upvote 0
Flash Flash Flash its all about Flash ... Iswifter app allows flash video to play on an IPAD and puffin browser, skyfire do also and you can get them free. You got a problem there is an App for it. Xoom is still better cause its all in there out of the box.

that is a flawed argument because we here at android say "blah blah Netflix Hulu who cares i have PLAYON"

same thing...its a work around...just saying

Upvote 0
Seriously?

And how long has the I pad been out? :rolleyes:

<yawn>

Benchmarks != overall user experience

Let's remember that some of these same 'arguments were posed in the early days of the phone races. Android continues to take market share.

Also Apple is the king of your argument that benchmarks != user experience.

I love android don't get me wrong, but some of you all make points that can go either way. =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones