1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Offline browsers like Avantgo for Android

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gewgluvr, Oct 26, 2008.

1. gewgluvr

gewgluvr Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Does anyone know if there is an offline browser for Android? I would expect Avantgo to come out with something soon ... but for us subway dwellers, it's very much needed.

Anyone ... anyone?

Advertisement

2. gewgluvr

Oct 25, 2008
    Come on ... there has to be a solution. I have to go back to getting ink on my hands to read news on subways .... ick!!!

3. Milkboot

Milkboot Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I miss AvantGo, I had used it ALL the time with my old Handspring Visor lo. used it on my MDA for a long while too. ofcourse now I can just go to the website of the plaaces i marked with the AvantGo software.. still be nice :)

4. gewgluvr

Oct 25, 2008
    Has anyone seen any kind of offline browser?

5. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Just whatever
    H-Town, sucka!
    Aside from the fact that Avantgo sucks and I would never use it in its current form, I'd love to see something like this. Even just an offline RSS or Google Reader app would be great for the time being.

6. lkosova

lkosova Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I hope I am correct but there is a rss feed reader in the market application. I have used it but dont' have the phone by me to tell you the name.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Larry

7. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Just whatever
    H-Town, sucka!
    Yeah, I saw that. I'm actually hoping for something that works with Google Reader so I don't have to see the same crap over and over again - once I read something, or mark it as read, I don't wanna see it again.

8. gewgluvr

Oct 25, 2008
    Just bumping to see if anyone has seen an offline browser for Android.

9. antikryst

antikryst Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    using bluerss now. still looking for something a bit more elegant. i hate the startupscreen that you cant skip but apart from that it works.

also... i dont think theres syncing to google reader. i just put the ones i read the most in it.

10. kingdave

kingdave Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Project Manager
    Manchester
    Don't know if this will work in the US, but I use an unofficial BBC News app which will download everything whilst I've got mobile signal and then let me read it while I don't.

You don't get anything fancy, just text based news, but since its BBC News, its pretty good and reliable. You won't get anything specific though for the US. Just US news in general rather than NYC news, or Brooklyn news, for example. But if something big is going on it should capture it for you.

11. francyfranct

francyfranct New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    There is recent but useful app that allows offline browsing. The name is "Offline Browser": by NikoDroid70