1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Offline google maps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gooser91, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Gooser91

Gooser91 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to use google navigation offline?

I want to use my tablet (without data) for nav on trips. I currently don't own a smartphone so tethering is not any option.

I don't want to use the built in "cache map for 10 mile square" in google maps.

What I'm looking for is some way to cache maps so that I can start the navigation app and create a route while not on wifi.

Currently, you must start the route before you leave and have data.

Thank you!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

No.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

3. ODog2323

ODog2323 Android Enthusiast

Caching the map doesn't do it?

4. Gooser91

Well it works for 10 mile sections, but I don't wanna cache an entire state by 10 mile pieces...

5. ODog2323

ODog2323 Android Enthusiast

6. KouDy

KouDy Newbie

This was a little disappointment for me too. While knew google maps can't be rally used offline, i hoped (and didn't check ofc :) ) that store will have some GPS navigations. Found only Sygic so far -_-

Gooser91 likes this.
  7. Gooser91

Thanks ylexot, that was a very helpful response

8. jzas

jzas Lurker

You could try OSMAND out of the market. It uses open street maps. The free version will cache 3 states or something similar.

9. ilomambo

ilomambo Newbie

Gooser91, looking at the settings on Maps, there is an option called pre cache areas, it says:

To pre cache an area of the map long press on the center of the area you want to save, then tap on the bubble. Or go to more options on a search results details page, then select' pre cache map area'

It seems that you can pre cache more than one area, anywhere you like. I did not see any mention of the 10 miles
    Radius you mentioned.

Edit: I just tried it, and now i see that after pressing the bubble and choosing to pre cache it does it for a 10 miles radius. I still was able to cache more than one area. As long as you have memory for caching, you can keep adding areas.

Edit again: I see now, re reading the post, that you don't want that. Sorry, maybe in a future update you'll get what you want.

10. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

I answered the question. I'm sorry it isn't the answer you wanted.

Gooser91 likes this.
  11. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

Just thought I would say hello, and let y'all know I'm going to be helping out with the grunt work around here (changing prefixes to the proper ones, moving threads to the proper place, getting rid of spammers, letting moderators know when there are violations of site policy, etc, etc.)

andygu3 likes this.
  12. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Good luck and thanks:)

13. HansSchulze

HansSchulze Lurker

I have had ics on prime since Feb, and my maps doesn't have caching like my HTC 1x.
    I tried uninstalling maps updates, rebooting, no luck ... thinking root, but haven't found out yet how to rip out a system app.

14. nstallion

nstallion Android Expert

It should just be there with the latest version of maps. You have to enable it under the "Labs" settings.

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Forum

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 10.1" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, and Nvidia Tegra 2 T20 processor.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews