• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline GPS app

Luken8r

Lurker
Jan 19, 2012
Im looking for a quality GPS app that I can use while not on a data network. I am planning a back woods off roading expedition so GPS is needed, but Ill be too far from anything to use data for maps. Optimally, I would like to be able to download maps directly to the device

I dont want to use google maps because its routing with GPS coordinates is rubbish.

I need to be able to:
view gps LAT/LONG coords
save waypoints
route by waypoints

map caching/saving would be nice, but not necessary. I have paper maps

I used to have an iphone and I had a program called MotionX GPS which was super awesome, but they dont offer it for Android. I would love to get a good replacement for that program. Ive downloaded GPS Essentials, and it is just OK. Looking for other options

Thanks

Im looking for a quality GPS app that I can use while not on a data network. I am planning a back woods off roading expedition so GPS is needed, but Ill be too far from anything to use data for maps. Optimally, I would like to be able to download maps directly to the device

I dont want to use google maps because its routing with GPS coordinates is rubbish.

I need to be able to:
view gps LAT/LONG coords
save waypoints
route by waypoints

map caching/saving would be nice, but not necessary. I have paper maps

I used to have an iphone and I had a program called MotionX GPS which was super awesome, but they dont offer it for Android. I would love to get a good replacement for that program. Ive downloaded GPS Essentials, and it is just OK. Looking for other options

Thanks

Sygic GPS. I had tried a lot of them and definitely this one is the best.

Upvote 0
Curious to know what technology Sygic is using to report location without any data/internet transmission?

Read through the description at Play' but couldn't find any info on this capability.

All Android phones and GPS apps can work GPS without a data connection. Android phones have a GPS antenna. Data network is only needed when using the AGPS system, which uses triangulation computations via Google servers by sending the data regarding satellites connected and network towers to it (otherwise the phone does the computations itself). The only difference is that a fix is longer to acquire (an average of 10-15min in my experience) as compared to 2secs with a data connection. Another thing to consider is that you need an app that supports offline maps.

Upvote 0
The best I have ever found for North America is Navigon. I am a long haul trucker and it has been better than the $600 truck gps units I have tried. It took me a few months until I found a "free" copy. It works without a sim card in the phone, so it's an offline GPS for sure. I finally stumbled on it at www.kat.ph torrent site. The name of the torrent with Navigon in it is "Most Wanted Android Gps Navigation Software Pack" It has a few different GPS apps in there. Hope this helps, it's the only free download I could find of it anywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones