• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline GPS?

Loon

Dec 11, 2009
Hello I'm a new Android user. Just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Droid X after being an iphone user since the first gen. Loving it so far the only thing I miss is my Tom Tom app that I had for the iphone ($35 ugh lol)

I like the Google Maps Navigation it works great but is there any offline GPS apps like Tom Tom for the iphone that we can download? Free or $$$ Doesn't matter I just like the security of having a GPS with me just in case even if I don't have a cell signal. I'm trying to search the forums right now but most of whats coming up is just people having problem with their GPS

Welcome to Android. You will love the experiance. I know what you mean and for the first time, I had the experiance of not having a data signal while on vacation. I used Google Maps Navigation to get us there, but once there, Google Maps was useless. Enter "CoPilot Live Premium USA Version 9" I think I paid $15 during the promotion period. (This was a life saver.) I was able to navigate without a data/cell signal all while on vacation with no problem. Make sure to play around with whatever offline GPS app you use, so you know how to use it when needed. I'm programming my favorite places in CoPilot as well. I really like it and its easy to use. Good luck. One more thing, these type of apps saves all the maps to your phone or SD card. Make sure you have enough space. CoPilot Live was over 1 GB in size.

Upvote 0
Hello I'm a new Android user. Just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Droid X after being an iphone user since the first gen. Loving it so far the only thing I miss is my Tom Tom app that I had for the iphone ($35 ugh lol)

I like the Google Maps Navigation it works great but is there any offline GPS apps like Tom Tom for the iphone that we can download? Free or $$$ Doesn't matter I just like the security of having a GPS with me just in case even if I don't have a cell signal. I'm trying to search the forums right now but most of whats coming up is just people having problem with their GPS

Try free MapDroyd. You pre-download maps, of those parts of the world you need, to your SD card.
1316671252259.jpg

However, you can also use Google Nav or Maps offline. Just make sure you plan your route while still on WiFi. Once that is done the maps for that whole route, even including detours, have been downloaded to your phone. So you can set off on your trip using GPS en pre-loaded Google Nav/Maps, and you don't need to download anything while en-route. You could even put your phone in airplane mode and the satnav will still work as long as your GPS is on (which is a minor battery drain). Of course you can't make or receive calls or other messages then.

Upvote 0
If you like the convenient way to use your phone for navigation - like a TomTom :) - you should decide for CoPilot or Navigon.

I had CoPilot on my HTC Desire and I have Navigon on my HTC Sensation.

CoPilot and Navigon are very expensive apps (except the free but amputated Navigon select app). Google Nav, Google Maps, and MapDroyd, a.o., are FREE!

Upvote 0
CoPilot and Navigon are very expensive apps (except the free but amputated Navigon select app). Google Nav, Google Maps, and MapDroyd, a.o., are FREE!

I haven't use MapDroyd yet, but I think it isn't a turn-by-turn car navigation.

For routing/tracking on a hiking trip I use ViewRanger and Maverick.
So I'll have a look at MapDroid :)

Harry

Upvote 0
If you have a limited data account then these "free" apps could end up costing you a lot more that proper SatNav apps like CoPilot. Plus you can browse the maps regardless of whether you have a signal or wifi access. Plus you can add POIs like speedcams.
You are not comparing like with like.

Reactions: Loon
Upvote 0
If you have a limited data account then these "free" apps could end up costing you a lot more that proper SatNav apps like CoPilot.

No: the running cost of a SatNav app is not determined by its purchase price, but by the way you use it. If you have a dataplan and use SatNav while on a mobile phone connection it will eat into your dataplan. No matter what SatNav app, or how expensive or cheap it was to get, that you use.

Plus you can browse the maps regardless of whether you have a signal or wifi access.

As you can with FREE Google Nav, Google Maps, or MapDroyd. But if you do that while on a mobile phone connection it will eat into your dataplan. Regardless whether it is a paid for app or not. If you browse the maps while on a WiFi connection it won't eat into your dataplan.

Plus you can add POIs like speedcams.

You can do that with FREE P2P WAZE too! With WAZE you get your standard satnav, up to the minute traffic information from your peers, and free P2P chat with the other WAZErs on the road. For FREE.

Check out WAZE

Observant, sir: I am comparing expensive CoPilot and Navigon to FREE Google Nav, Google Maps, MapDroyd, and WAZE. And I conclude that the latter offer a lot more for a lot less.

But if you insist on paying through the nose for what you could have for free there is nothing I can do to stop you doing that. :D

Upvote 0
I have installed 3 free map apps and I like "OruxMaps "the best. Now it is a little hazel to get the maps ( you need to use the " Mobile Atlas Creator 1.9.1" program to create the maps, but OruxMaps will track, route, nav. it has a compass feature and more. You use "Open street Maps " with Mobile Atlas Creator and select the area then let it build the map. Now this can take some time ( 3 to 10 hours) depending on the area and if you use adjoining maps OruxMaps will jump to them automatically and it's FREE.

Upvote 0
Yeah having to read a map while you're driving in a place you don't know sounds like a great way to get in a car accident.

Because that is the really stupid way to do it.
The smart way to do it is to not do it while driving (irrespective of whether you use a smartphone, Tom-Tom, Garmin, or paper map), but to do it either before you start driving or the way rallye drivers do it.

Appropriate nick, BTW.

Upvote 0
Because that is the really stupid way to do it.
The smart way to do it is to not do it while driving (irrespective of whether you use a smartphone, Tom-Tom, Garmin, or paper map), but to do it either before you start driving or the way rallye drivers do it.

Appropriate nick, BTW.

Can we just stick to answering questions without commenting on people's intelligence? This is supposed to be a "support" forum after all.

Upvote 0
No: the running cost of a SatNav app is not determined by its purchase price, but by the way you use it. If you have a dataplan and use SatNav while on a mobile phone connection it will eat into your dataplan. No matter what SatNav app, or how expensive or cheap it was to get, that you use.

Observant, sir: I am comparing expensive CoPilot and Navigon to FREE Google Nav, Google Maps, MapDroyd, and WAZE. And I conclude that the latter offer a lot more for a lot less.

But if you insist on paying through the nose for what you could have for free there is nothing I can do to stop you doing that. :D

Sorry but you are incorrect. There are no data charges, even when using a cell phone, with offline “SatNav” apps like CoPilot. It can be used in airplane mode which we all know there is no data connection at all. When using the free maps, like Google Maps, which is my first and favorite choice, it uses data even just exploring the map. This is not the case in CoPilot. (It does not use any data even if you are on a cell signal. Unless you are using the web features within the app.) Also, I bought CoPilot V9 for all of the USA for $15 and get free updates. (That's not expensive at all.) Most of use pay that for regular data usage per month, if not more. If you use the Nav. Apps a lot, then you will come out cheaper, in the long run, using offline map apps. Especially if you are on a limited data plan.

I think you are missing the point of having offline Nav. Apps. The reason you need them is for when you don’t have a data signal, which is the case to use the free Nav. Apps like Google Maps. I have run into. The situation where I could not use Google Maps for voice guided directions, because I didn’t have a data signal. CoPilot is my back up and works as good, as Google maps.

Reactions: hiwatt
Upvote 0
MapDroid only costs you battery life, as the map is stored on the device and no data charges are incurred in use.

If you have a limited data account then these "free" apps could end up costing you a lot more that proper SatNav apps like CoPilot. Plus you can browse the maps regardless of whether you have a signal or wifi access. Plus you can add POIs like speedcams.

Upvote 0
So to bump this thread: I'm traveling to Europe and will drive around for 2 wks, mostly France & Germany. I could pay the rental car company like $9/day for whatever they provide, or buy a good, self contained GPS app that can be used completely offline. I see a few comments about Copilot here-anyone with experience with any alternatives? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I had a older version of CoPilot installed on former phones, now I use Navigon (now a Garmin company).

Both apps are very good nav apps and can be used offline with their maps on the SD card.
I think Navigon is a little bit better.

For France and Germany you have to purchase the Europe map version. The cheaper version (DACH) has only Germany, Austria and Swiss as maps, but not France.

Harry

Reactions: fldude99
Upvote 0
Google Maps lets you load an area onto your phone before you go there. Just go into the Labs section of your phone and find the "Pre-cache map area" section. This will let you download info to your phone, letting you navigate around without a data connection.

The only problem is that it only caches a ten mile radius around the address for which you pre-cache. This may not be what you are looking for.

Reactions: rogerstg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones