1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General OG EVO user upgrading to EVO V 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Palmetto Fellow, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    So Best Buy just dropped the price on the EVO V to $179.99 (was $249.99 yesterday).

I had a gift card and Rewardzone coupon burning a hole in my pocket so I made it happen. My bill is more than cut in half and my phone just got an upgrade. My data usage is less than 1 gig per moth for the past 12 months.
    Also added 1 year of damage protection from BB for $30/yr for just 1 year. I was paying $8 a month to Aurion for the same coverage though BB doesn't cover loss or theft.

My Return On Investment is scheduled for 4 months; I couldn't possibly pass this up. Now time to read up on it before I open the packaging.

Advertisement

2. awev

awev Member
    None

Aug 10, 2012
    Male
    Handyman
    Cyberspace
    I think you will like what you see, and at $180 it is an even better value than this past summer at $300. Just that the first time you turn it on you most likely will have a system update to install. You may want to look around here for instructions on upgrading from ICS to JB.

3. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    Does that update affect rooting? Sorry for noob question...I am sorta a noob with this phone. I briefly scanned the rooting procedure, and it looks way different than what I did for the OG EVO. Time to read up some more.

I think I've convinced myself to open the package and start charging the phone. I have a Sprint screen protector for the OG EVO (only covers screen, not the whole face) which will fit this one until I can get a fullscreen one from amazon.

4. lEquin0xl

lEquin0xl Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 27, 2012
    Male
    This phone doesn't have the JB update. The update you would have to install would be the radio interference fix.

5. awev

awev Member
    None

Aug 10, 2012
    Male
    Handyman
    Cyberspace
    I dont think the OTA update from VM effects the rooted nature of the phone. And the update corrects problems with the radio signals.

As to JB I think I read somewhere on this site that a ROM (or kernal) has the needed stuff to update the phone to the Jelly Bean OS (might of been Jelly Belly?). Just don't quote me on this, as i have been reading too much in the last couple days.

6. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    I had some trouble activating the phone. It's showing as already activated.
    I noticed a phone number in it as well, (870 area code) but this was sealed packaging.
    It was on 1.13xxx and took the update just fine.
    Virgin Mobile has escalated my ticket to the team that can close out the account and get me running, but it could take up to 4 days.
    I will probably go back to best buy tomorrow and exchange it.
    I am confident that it's new, it would take some skill to open and reseal packaging in new condition. The screen protector was intact, is there supposed to be a film over the cameras? It even had the VM serial number sticker on the rear cover.

7. OneEyedSniper

OneEyedSniper Newbie
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Illinois
    I remember these phones had trouble activating when they first came out. You may want to check one of those troubleshooting threads and read up on how to help fix it.

If I remember correctly, you should have your old phone off (if you have the OG Evo on Virgin's network) as this sometimes interferes with proper activation.

8. Ted Roo

Ted Roo Member
    None

Dec 29, 2012
    Male
    Network Engineer
    Cobblers Knob, IN
    By all means, get that baby charging! I'm waiting on screen protectors for mine. I just left the factory shipping protector on and that works fine, at least for a few days. It's not intended for use, but it works and is clear enough for now.

Yes, you need the old phone off, which is stated on the virgin site where you do the activate. What is not stated is you want to delete any old voice mail. At least if the old is on Virgin VM, as opposed to Sprint. Otherwise you end up with ghost notifications. Not sure of the details, I think it's only if you go from an old dumb phone to smart, but it might be even from smart to smart.

9. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    Virgin Mobile is offering the phone for $149.99 on their website. I went back to Best Buy to exchange mine, but their inventory was off. They didn't have any left. The Mobile Manager was cool enough to price match for me though, so I get $32 back.

I'll give VM another day to resolve this before going to another BB for exchange.

Do you think they would have price matched anyway if it wasn't for my situation? Or do you think it was a gesture of goodwill?

10. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Male
    Disabled
    CT, USA
    Most Best Buys are pretty good with price matching.

11. Watagump

Watagump Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2013
    Male
    Orange County
    I first bought the Reverb and BB price matched that. Then, I got rid of the Reverb and got the Evo 4G, it was on sale for the same price, so it was an even exchange. I just took in the printed price from the VM site.

12. awev

awev Member
    None

Aug 10, 2012
    Male
    Handyman
    Cyberspace
    The cashiers at my local BB can only price match other local retailers, need a manager for non-local retailers. Restrictions apply, such as has to be brick and mortar, not close-out or clearance, etc. Sounds as if those BBs where hurting for customers and/or good reviews to price match a web site. Glad they worked with you on the pricing.

Tags: