• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ogs2 switch to Skyrocket. Satisfied?

jam0n1t

Lurker
Nov 7, 2011
hey android community,
I was just wondering if you've come across minor or major differences in the skyrocketfor those who've decided to exchange their og s2 for the skyrocket. I've noticed quite a few have jumped ship since yesterday and just wanted to get some last minute feedback before I make any decisions swithing. I played around with the skyrocket yesterday and sensed some choppiness compared to the original. well what do you guys think, satisfied?

...$50.00 less, a *faster processor and a larger display, it's very well worth it. People are noticing a slight lag but I noticed this too on my OGS2 so it doesn't really matter.

*benchmarks shows 1.2Ghz is faster than the 1.5Ghz processor

Out of the box...yes

Lets see what details elopement can do with it tho.

I have always been far more impressed with the snapdragon processors

Reactions: jam0n1t
Upvote 0
Jumped ship on release day and have not looked back (even though I still have 14 days to exchange). LTE is what I wanted, bigger screen and beefier battery were welcomed. Visual voicemail standard! Awe man it just keeps getting better and better. And as far as this processor thing goes, there is no difference to my "untrained" eye lol (I blink too much). But I use my phone for productivity not games, so... in hindsight it's a no brainer trade off for LTE and bigger screen. Is the front facing camera better too?

Upvote 0
what i like about the skyrocket:
-LTE speeds. when fast, they are so very fast. i've also heard building penetration is better, and in my skyscraper, i'm getting solid download speeds (~10 mbps)
-weight. it weighs more than the S2, and it feels a lot more solid.

what i don't like:
-size. it's a shade too big. S2 was a great size.

everything else seems the same. i haven't noticed any lag/choppiness. i mainly browse, email, text, and stream a movie here and there when bored. everything seems just as it was on the S2.

as far as battery life, it isn't any better, nor is it any worse for what i use the phone for.

despite the larger screen and lower pixel density, to my naked eye, everything looks the same as on the S2.

Upvote 0
Just took my GSII back to ATT, and got the skyrocket from Bestbuy. They priced matched at 199$ ATT store said noway they would. Had to pay 35 restock at att. Bestbuy doesn't charge that. Prob not going to the ATT store anymore.

Been on the fence all week to do this. As soon as I seen the new one has visual voice mail I got it. That was the biggest thing I missed with my iPhone...

Upvote 0
just traded my osg2 out for the skyrocket. loving it so far! bigger screen is awesome. swiping through the screens seems just as fast as the original. opening and installing apps seems even faster than the original! the only downside so far is the resolution. the upgrade in screen real estate does give way to a negative on the resolution end. just barely though. i am also getting around the same benchmark results as my original galaxy II. which is good as the processor change was one of my main reasons for concern. the battery seems to be holding up nicely to my constant playing.

and the number one reason i switched......drumroll.....LTE. i am now confident of the future of my phone. LTE + ICS = skyrocket>osg2 :)

Upvote 0
hey guys,
Great to hear everyone who has switched is loving the phone. As for me, I wasn't quite sold. I went tr the att store twice to try it out and just personally felt my ogs2 was the right fit for me. I just felt the screen size was just right and hspa+ is acceptable. I don't know about most of you but it kinda bothered me that it seemed not as smooth as the og s2 but its definitley still quick. lol coming from a Nokia n90 left a lot of space for improvement! I enjoy my s2 and it pretty much falls into what you prefer between the two. both great phones though. btw target sold the og s2 for 99 which I price matched at bb on my 29th day. bb ftw!

Upvote 0
Although you won't hear it on this forum I agree it does not seem as smooth scrolling screen to screen or swiping down the notification bar, I compared side to side in an AT&T store, so I'm not claiming to have a huge sample size, but it was noticeable to me. I wonder if this was due to the Skyrocket being hooked up to a charger?

Actually, phonearena says the same thing in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D26fDsINajI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones