1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Oh almighty Android gods, answer my prayer!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by blackbe4rd, Sep 24, 2011.

1. blackbe4rd

blackbe4rd Lurker
    None

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm looking to write a novel using my HTC Thunderbolt. Why my phone and not a laptop? Because it's always there in my pocket and convenient, that's why :)

So there are two goals I'm trying to accomplish. The first is that I simply want to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard (or any keyboard) with my Thunderbolt. I scoured the web and the app market and tried bluekey jp, and bluetooth keyboard easyconnect. Both didn't work for me. Does anyone have a bluetooth keyboard solution for the android that is proven to work. I'll even buy a supported keyboard for it (provided it's under $50) if I have to. Ideally it would be a keyboard that I could take with me without too much hassle (i.e. a fold-down keyboard).

My second plea is to find an app that will allow me to do voice to text for the purpose of novel writing. See, I spend about 2 hours a day in my car, and instead of wasting that time I would love to be able to speak into a microphone and have my phone transcribe everything I say. Are there any good solutions for this? Remember it would be for the purpose of novel writing, so it would have to be able to continually record and then convert it to text.

Any help to solving either issue would be greatly appreciated and I'll even write a special thank you into my novel to anyone who gives me a workable solution. Whether or not my novel is successful I cannot promise :)

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Though I strongly recommend you confirm that they now work with HTC handsets, the Freedom Pro is a very nice, though a bit pricey, Bluetooth Keyboard. I have only used out on Motorola hardware, but it works great.

3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    I've been looking into keyboards myself, and what I've gathered so far is that HTC phones have the SPP Bluetooth profile, while most of the Bluetooth keyboards out there require HID. The Freedom Pro keyboard is dual profile; however, it runs about $75.

Has the TB been rooted yet? I've heard that Cyanogenmod 7 includes HID support. Haven't tried it out myself though.

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Yes, the TB has been rooted

5. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Thanks! In that case the OP might be able to use a less expensive HID keyboard by rooting the phone and flashing CM7. Mind you, I haven't personally verified that this works (don't have a keyboard), and if that's the only reason for rooting, it seems like a lot of hassle to save 40 or 50 bucks. ;)