• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh Another Thing The HTC Guy And The Verizon Mgr Said ..Advanced Task Killer....

Upvote 0
It consumes more battery by constantly running than it saves by killing dormant processes...

Doesn't that completely contradict why people are saying we DON'T need task killers? It does not consume more battery by "running" as you say. It stays as dormant as any of the other processes in the background.

I use Task Manager to ONLY auto-kill the calendar app since it caused my phone to never sleep, and don't ever kill other tasks unless the phone locks up. FWIW, my battery life is exceptional. So I believe there is a use for task killers, but I don't believe all apps need to be killed constantly.

Upvote 0
That is total BS, no VZW employee can/will install any software without the customer say so. Quit spreading crap dude

I had a Moto Droid that would randomly reboot or shutdown. I did a factory reset on it, the issue persisted and confirmed my suspicion that something was wrong with the phone and not any apps I had installed.

I brought it into VZW and the first thing I was asked was if I had a task killer running. Upon answering no, the tech began to install ATK on the phone.

I explained the steps I had gone through do diagnose the problem and complained about some physical issues with the phone and the tech gave in and did the replacement.

When my wife get her Droid, the sales guy installed ATK without asking her.

Thread after thread for the various VZW Android phones indicate that VZW employees do indeed install ATK on a huge number of devices without customer permission.

How many VZW techs have the slightest idea on how multitasking / process / memory management works on Android phones? I'd have to say that number is extremely low.

Upvote 0
On the Eris I would manually kill some processes I didn't need/want. I used Astro for this because it only ran when I lunched the app, and I would only kill apps like Amazon MP3 and other nuisance apps.

At times I would notice a reduction in lag (the phone would become more responsive).

Performance is not an issue on the Incredible. There is no need to kill apps and processes to reduce phone lag like on the Eris.

Battery will take a hit from the task manager constantly running, more than it saves sometimes...

Upvote 0
That is total BS, no VZW employee can/will install any software without the customer say so. Quit spreading crap dude

YOU don't know what you're talking about, dude. When I got my Inc the sales person installed ATK without telling me. I figured he was dialing the activation number or something, didn't pay much attention, or care.

When I got home and found ATK on there I just uninstalled it.

Quit spreading crap, dude.

Upvote 0
Not needed, and if a manager was going to install apps on MY phone without MY permission, then you better believe I will cause a scene in that store.

+100000000

I was at my local store yesterday for a problem with my wife's ENV3 and the VZW "tech" was helping a new customer get a Moto Droid and said to him, ok, I'm going to download a couple things for you, so don't worry about it.
He downloaded some stupid game for him and then Adv Task Killer. He said "ATK is highly needed and recommended for the Droid as you will see problems with the phone and apps hogging up memory"
Hahahaha... And the guy getting the phone just stood there like a deer in headlights not knowing WTF these apps are and said "Ok".

I was like dude, your a f-ing idiot to be telling people that ATK is "highly" recommended and needed for ANY Android phone. I just rolled my eyes...

Stupid VZW techs... Uhhh, I hate'em! :rolleyes: :mad:

Upvote 0

Sorry man, but your wrong. See my post above. They did it straight from the unpacking of the box to turning the phone on for the customer. NEVER once did he say to the customer "Would you like me to download some recommended apps for you" or anything to that effect.
He said 'Here, I'm going to download some apps because I think you will like them and some are needed for this phone."

I'd kick his ass if he did that to my phone. That's why when I picked up my DI at the store on release day I explicitly told the salesperson DO NOT install anything and don't setup anything other than what you need to. The he said no problem and only asked me to sign into my Gmail account and that was it. In/out of the store in 15 mins..

Upvote 0
The Verizon store employee who sold me my Incredible installed Advanced Task Killer without my permission. I used it for about 2-3 days until I realized it was turning off my alarm so it wasn't waking me up in the mornings, it was also turning off my Gmail sync so my messages weren't getting pushed to my device and lord knows what else it was turning off.
IMO the phone runs fine without the task killer and it is not needed. If you like it then good luck with it.

Upvote 0
Verizon employees have been instructed by their technical support teams to install ATK. I don't know whether this is oficial VZW policy, or more word-of-mouth, but I have heard this from enough sources that I believe it is true. While they shouldn't be installing anything on your phone without asking you first, they are doing it in the spirit of service, based on what they believe to be good information.

It's no worse than the other bloatware that comes preinstalled on the phone. In fact, it's better because you can uninstall it.

As to whether you need a task killer... You don't. Android is not Windows. Programs not in use will remain resident in memory and will appear to be starving your phone for resources. They aren't. Android will manage tasks for you, and do a better job of it than you can do on your own.

Once in a great while, you may find that a program gets stuck and needs to be killed (e.g. Cardio Trainer got stuck on my phone yesterday. I noticed it was active and my battery meter showed it was consuming a disproprtionate amount of power). In this rare case, the built-in task manager usually works fine. As an alternative, you might consider something like SystemPanel, which allows tasks to be killed, but serves other purposes as well and doesn't normally remain running when not in use.

By the way, I used to use a task killer all the time. I argued that they were necessary. I was wrong.

Reactions: elborak
Upvote 0
when my wife got her eris, the VZW employee did a quick tutorial with her and part of that was telling her to "hit the little green guy when you done with the phone to save battery" he had installed ATK. i saw his checklist for new phones and one of the steps was to install and instruct ATK. now when i got my incredible they didn't do any of that, in fact he didn't do anything but dial 228 and then hand me the phone.

Upvote 0
Verizon employees have been instructed by their technical support teams to install ATK. I don't know whether this is oficial VZW policy, or more word-of-mouth, but I have heard this from enough sources that I believe it is true. While they shouldn't be installing anything on your phone without asking you first, they are doing it in the spirit of service, based on what they believe to be good information.

This info is from VZW tech not HTC. The fatal flaw with them and this idea is and always will be that VZW tech support doesn't know #$^%. I've called in in the past for other phones and after going through the first level and they cant help you they forward you to advanced device support and even those guys don't know squat. This seems to be a theme with regular customer service as well.

This is like anywhere else you go that's technical. If they hired people who actually knew the stuff then they would have to pay them much more money and they just couldn't afford it.

Upvote 0
They have no clue what they are doing. Everytime I enter a VZW store I end up teaching their techs or sales rep something. I ran Android on my HTC Vogue and when I was in their store upgrading my girlfriend's phone last year they spazed at the fact I had an Android phone on their network before they did. And when I went with my sister to get the Droid in February I knew more about Android than their manager who processed our sale.

I'd be pissed if they accessed my Market and installed something without my permission especially something as useless as a task manager. Android by design doesn't need it. It only exists to make former WinMo users comfortable with a new OS

Upvote 0
Should be installed and used in the Incredible. In fact the store Mgr said they download it to every Inc they sell in the store before the customer leaves with it. Now I have heard many pros and cons about this app. mostly cons.

This is another reason I am GLAD I Pre-Ordered online and had my phone shipped to me! NO ONE has the right to be installing third-party apps on MY phone with out first asking me and getting my permission.

My uncle walked out of the store wiht ATK on his Incredible and knew nothing about it and had never heard of it. When we went in to get an accessory, I heard a rep say "I installed a Task Killer for you already"! This is not their phone, nor their decision to make!

I have had my DI since the 29th WITH OUT a task killer and have had no problems at all with performace issues. I am not here to debate the Task Killer issue, to each is there own - my point is, DON'T INSTALL CRAP ON "MY" PHONE!!!

Sorry for the rant, it just really bothers me that people think its ok that they do this!

Thanks for listening and understanding!

Jon

Upvote 0
They have no clue what they are doing. Everytime I enter a VZW store I end up teaching their techs or sales rep something. I ran Android on my HTC Vogue and when I was in their store upgrading my girlfriend's phone last year they spazed at the fact I had an Android phone on their network before they did. And when I went with my sister to get the Droid in February I knew more about Android than their manager who processed our sale.

I'd be pissed if they accessed my Market and installed something without my permission especially something as useless as a task manager. Android by design doesn't need it. It only exists to make former WinMo users comfortable with a new OS

1 Week before the Incredible released, I went into both (authorized/official/whatever) Verizon and Best Buy (twice each).

I expressed my opinion on how I liked android and the Eris was really cool but just not up to par.

Neither of them out of the 4 times visited had mentioned anything about the Incredible.

They are clueless and are only interested in selling current inventory.

Then half of the customers tell them they are buying online instead and get the instant 100 dollar rebate. They look heart broken every time because they know they can't get the discount for them.

I feel sorry for them really a tough job when your own corporation/boss would rather have online sales then Authorized Verizon Store sales.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones