1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Oh come on!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lcallen80, Feb 15, 2011.

1. lcallen80

lcallen80 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    can anyone give me some other kernals to use with good battery life for MYN's RLS5.... I just cut my phone on hour ago and its already on 69%. the battery keeps getting hot... and when i flash a new kernal all i have to do is wipe dalvik/cache right, not data?

Advertisement

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Look here for kernels. 4.3.1 stable works great for me

When flashing a kernel, wipe only Dalvik cache and cache, then flash the kernel. A nandroid would be recommended before flashing, just in case;)

lcallen80 likes this.
  3. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    That's likely not a kernel issue (unless it just started happening). Is your phone sleeping? Are you using the phone that whole time? If the phone is idle most of the time, and it still dropped that much, I would look at other things before looking at other kernels. What kernel are you on now? Does it do that with everything you've tried?

Assuming your phone is actually idle for a good part of that time, install spare parts from the market if you don't already have it, plug the phone in for a second, unplug it, then let it sit for a couple of hours. Open spare parts, then select battery history. What % does it have for running? After checking that, select partial wake usage for the top drop down, and verify that the second drop down says since last unplugged. What do you see at the top of the list, and what % does it have?

4. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Not that akazabam needs any support, but I agree that this is not a kernel issue. Something is causing your phone to constantly run (which would cause the heat and battery drop). Follow the guidelines above relating to spare parts and that will provide more insight into what is the actual cause.

The quick way to see if your phone is sleeping is to go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery and then compare your "Up time" and "Awake time." I assume they will be the same - meaning your phone is not sleeping.

5. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Haha, I'll take all the support and as many other suggestions as I can get. No one person can remember to check everything...

6. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    mt time up is 3;30 and my awake time is 2;50 and counting

7. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    netarchy-toastmod-4.1.9.1 is the kernal i use need akaza...it has only been doing this since like yesterday....i've had myn's running for a couple months now and never had this porblem with it ..

8. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    phone idle is 12% cell standby and wi-fi are 14% android system is 11%

9. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    actually... there's two main causes of battery drop: radio use and CPU use. An example of high radio use would be a phone in an area of poor reception. The phone boosts the radio's power in hopes of picking up a weak signal. This type of usage drains the battery fast but does not cause the phone to feel warm (the energy is released via electromagnetic radiation in the radio transmission).

An example of high CPU usage would be running an application that is computationally intensive, like a 3D game. The phone heats up really fast. It's not the battery that heats up. It's the CPU. The heat is being transferred to the battery as well as the entire phone chassis.

Using the GPS nav is basically the biggest battery drainer because both radio and CPU are pretty much pegged at 100% usage.

Normally, I start diagnosing battery drain issues by telling people to put their phone in airplane mode. That shuts off all radio transmissions. But since you're reporting a warm phone, you've probably got a pegged CPU. There are apps you can get to help you identify what apps are using how much CPU at any moment. My preferred app is System Panel. The paid version even tracks historical usage in addition to real-time usage. If you can't ID the problem app, or if the CPU seems to come from "System," then it might be a kernel issue. Or, maybe you restored system settings from a backup, and there's an incompatibility with those settings with your current ROM... In that case, a factory reset will solve your problem.

lcallen80 likes this.
  10. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    akaza voicemail was at the top of that list and running time was 100% so was wi-fi

11. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    I can attest to this. No matter what I've tried from stock to various roms and kernels, my house is in a pit for reception. If I can hold a call at my house it drains 25-35% per hour talking - my phone takes 1-2% an hour idling, so I'm pretty sure most of that is just the cell radio. Cell standby is usually top of my battery use page. In my room especially, I see it go from 1 or 0 bars, and shoot up to 4 for 10-20 seconds, and then drop back down to 1, then to 0. I think this radio boost puts it in a mean battery eating cycle in an attempt to make it look like sprint has better service.

I've had bad service at this house with multiple phones on 3 carriers now. The EVO eats battery the fastest for phone calls hands down.

12. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    i looked in spare parts and what was on the top of the list was voicemail... which i find pretty weird... but i have it charging and im gonna take it off in a few and check it and bout a hour to see if it gets hot again and to see if i lose a lot of juice like i did before.....stay tuned.....

13. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    lol funny you asked that....i have it on my phone yes,but i have it set to ask if i want to make the call using google voice. its not set to use all the time. so how would you suggest i stop or make voicemail act right...anything that isnt text book (like just stopping it in task manager or something)

14. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    well...my phone doesnt have that freakish fever anymore..i think it'll pull through. it charged it to 70% and its still holding it since my last post ....if it was still sick it woulda dropped big time by now so i good now ....thanks to all!!!

15. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Wow, I leave for a couple hours, and you guys get into a debate about radios...:p. All that aside, looks like your issue was with voicemail running constantly. If it's not happening anymore, great. If it does happen again, kill voicemail (it should start back up), and I'll so a little research on it. I know I've read about it doing that before.

16. lcallen80

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Illinois
    ok akaza cool.... i think i might uninstall the app (touch to talk) also because i seen it listed right under voicemail in spare parts. so i guess its using to much juice to... i want a way to not have apps start up by themselves.

Tags: