• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Oh come on!!!!!

can anyone give me some other kernals to use with good battery life for MYN's RLS5.... I just cut my phone on hour ago and its already on 69%. the battery keeps getting hot... and when i flash a new kernal all i have to do is wipe dalvik/cache right, not data?

Look here for kernels. 4.3.1 stable works great for me

When flashing a kernel, wipe only Dalvik cache and cache, then flash the kernel. A nandroid would be recommended before flashing, just in case;)

Reactions: lcallen80
Upvote 0
That's likely not a kernel issue (unless it just started happening). Is your phone sleeping? Are you using the phone that whole time? If the phone is idle most of the time, and it still dropped that much, I would look at other things before looking at other kernels. What kernel are you on now? Does it do that with everything you've tried?

Assuming your phone is actually idle for a good part of that time, install spare parts from the market if you don't already have it, plug the phone in for a second, unplug it, then let it sit for a couple of hours. Open spare parts, then select battery history. What % does it have for running? After checking that, select partial wake usage for the top drop down, and verify that the second drop down says since last unplugged. What do you see at the top of the list, and what % does it have?

Upvote 0
Not that akazabam needs any support, but I agree that this is not a kernel issue. Something is causing your phone to constantly run (which would cause the heat and battery drop). Follow the guidelines above relating to spare parts and that will provide more insight into what is the actual cause.

The quick way to see if your phone is sleeping is to go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery and then compare your "Up time" and "Awake time." I assume they will be the same - meaning your phone is not sleeping.

Upvote 0
actually... there's two main causes of battery drop: radio use and CPU use. An example of high radio use would be a phone in an area of poor reception. The phone boosts the radio's power in hopes of picking up a weak signal. This type of usage drains the battery fast but does not cause the phone to feel warm (the energy is released via electromagnetic radiation in the radio transmission).

An example of high CPU usage would be running an application that is computationally intensive, like a 3D game. The phone heats up really fast. It's not the battery that heats up. It's the CPU. The heat is being transferred to the battery as well as the entire phone chassis.

Using the GPS nav is basically the biggest battery drainer because both radio and CPU are pretty much pegged at 100% usage.

Normally, I start diagnosing battery drain issues by telling people to put their phone in airplane mode. That shuts off all radio transmissions. But since you're reporting a warm phone, you've probably got a pegged CPU. There are apps you can get to help you identify what apps are using how much CPU at any moment. My preferred app is System Panel. The paid version even tracks historical usage in addition to real-time usage. If you can't ID the problem app, or if the CPU seems to come from "System," then it might be a kernel issue. Or, maybe you restored system settings from a backup, and there's an incompatibility with those settings with your current ROM... In that case, a factory reset will solve your problem.

Reactions: lcallen80
Upvote 0
actually... there's two main causes of battery drop: radio use and CPU use. An example of high radio use would be a phone in an area of poor reception. The phone boosts the radio's power in hopes of picking up a weak signal.

I can attest to this. No matter what I've tried from stock to various roms and kernels, my house is in a pit for reception. If I can hold a call at my house it drains 25-35% per hour talking - my phone takes 1-2% an hour idling, so I'm pretty sure most of that is just the cell radio. Cell standby is usually top of my battery use page. In my room especially, I see it go from 1 or 0 bars, and shoot up to 4 for 10-20 seconds, and then drop back down to 1, then to 0. I think this radio boost puts it in a mean battery eating cycle in an attempt to make it look like sprint has better service.

I've had bad service at this house with multiple phones on 3 carriers now. The EVO eats battery the fastest for phone calls hands down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones