• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh, Lord. Another noob.

Mark Small

Lurker
Dec 18, 2014
First time android user with a DigiLand 10.1 tablet, and a few questions.

1) I have a persistent app that's "recommended for you..." and is always trying to sell me music. How can I get rid of it? I've noticed that if I go to settings>apps>all there's an app called Launcher3. If I tell it to clear data the the 'recommended for you' resets and asks if I want music, games, apps, etc recommended. If I tell it to 'force stop' the button grays out, but the RecForYou stays and when I return to settings it's lit again.

2) Is there a way to access my PC via wifi? I can connect via a USB port, but that's only good for file manipulation. I'd like to access files (edit docs, for example) on my tablet from my PC and vice versa.

3) Can I change the OS? I have Android 4.4 and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to a newer version, or even a different OS altogether.

4) Are viruses a concern?

1) Launcher3 is not your problem: that's the app that provides your desktop and app drawer. You need to find the RecForYou app (whatever that may be - probably some piece of junk the manufacturer installed, and the app may have a different name) and uninstall or disable it.

Of course you could install another launcher.

2) There are apps that let you copy files between the devices via WiFi (WiFi File Explorer and Airdroid come to mind). However, you'd have to copy, edit then copy back - you can't for example use Word running on the PC to edit a .doc file on the tablet over WiFi.

3) Android has to be built for the specific model, so you can only update the OS on your device if someone builds an update for that device. If the manufacturer does then you'll be able to update wirelessly: look in Settings > About > Software Updates. However, budget manufacturers rarely bother with updates (they don't make them any money, and margins are thin). The other option is that if some individual has built an update (a "custom ROM") for that device and you root the device (gain administrator access) you can install that. But the problem is that it relies on someone with the skills, knowledge and time also building one for that device - more mainstream devices are more likely to get this type of attention as well.

As for other OS, probably not. They would also have to build a version that works with that hardware.

4) As ch3mn3y says, there aren't actual viruses (which can propagate and install themselves), but there is malware. This relies on you installing it. Apps from the Play Store are pretty safe. Apps which are downloaded automatically if you visit some website, or which come from sites offering paid apps for free, are quite likely to contain something malicious. You'll find some information and hints here: http://androidforums.com/threads/an...ned-security-tips-and-avoiding-malware.36936/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones