• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh no! Another new phone to drool over...

OK, sorry, I just couldn't resist putting this link here...hopefully it's taken in the spirit in which it's intended (that is, no matter how good your device is, there's alway one better around the corner!

HTC Zeta leaks: 2.5GHz quad core, Ice Cream Sandwich, and Beats Audio ? Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

Apparently no sd slot though. Wonder if the device will use new battery tech to support this stuff. Fabrication process is the same as current chips, so nowhere to go but drain more battery.

Upvote 0
I heard that these quad core processors come with a hidden 5th core that is designed to help maximize battery life by handling any task that does not warrant the power of the quad core. This means things like push email, data syncing and other low power automated processes will drain less power than the dual cores found in the rezound and other current gen phones. Only time will tell, I guess.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Apparently no sd slot though. Wonder if the device will use new battery tech to support this stuff. Fabrication process is the same as current chips, so nowhere to go but drain more battery.

This is a 28nm Krait core, battery life should be a significant improvement. The integrated 28nm LTE might actually be the biggest battery saver (if it's on an LTE carrier)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I honestly cant think of a single reason for a phone to have 4 cores. Dual core is pushing it - the 2nd core does come in useful for housekeeping and keeping things fluid, but it's hardly a requirement...

I can also see the benefits in Tegra 3's extra mini low power core in terms of battery life. So yeah, dual core with the extra low power core gets my vote.

But 4+1 cores? In a phone? Really?

Upvote 0
that is what you say .. NOW...

but software is always pushing the limits of hardware...
and customers are always wanting better and more and faster..

soon quads will a requirement...with 4GB of RAM..
Dont get me wrong, i'm old enough to remember a friend of mine buying a double sided (oh the extravagance) floppy disk drive (single density 5.25 inch) and wondering what possible need he could have for 160KB of storage space.

But it seems to me that the form factor of a mobile seriously limits what you can do with it. How many numbers can you crunch when theyre entered on a touchscreen? How powerful does a system need to be to display graphics on a 5 inch display, when most people do their gaming on a dedicated console boasting 6 year old technology? Just how fast does a phonebook or weather widget need to load? Even most desktop PCs only make full use of 4 cores a tiny proportion of the time.

If i could think of a single way this could be useful i'd be all over it - and i will be *extremely* happy to be proved wrong - but to me at the moment this just looks like corporate willy waving from HTC.

Upvote 0
game consoles are replaced by your phone... via bluetooth/wifi .. it auto syncs.. and you can play games that out perform your current consoles (xbox360, PS3).

it replaces your home pc.. buy syncing with a large tv / kb / mouse... as you walk in the room.

voice commands get 10x better than siri..

Upvote 0
game consoles are replaced by your phone... via bluetooth/wifi .. it auto syncs.. and you can play games that out perform your current consoles (xbox360, PS3).

it replaces your home pc.. buy syncing with a large tv / kb / mouse... as you walk in the room.

voice commands get 10x better than siri..

I doubt any of this would happen with current gen tech. I'd think that you'd see more of this in 5 years or so, minimum. And it would be more likely a tablet than a phone, assuming things like the Galaxy Note don't succeed and become mainstream.

At some point, though, I do think phone size will hit a critical mass and no longer grow, because they become cumbersome to the mainstream to carry.

And they won't replace gaming controllers until battery tech gains a drastic boost. Which there was an article about how some scientists made Li-Ion extend the capacity by poking holes into the material, but we'll see how long that takes to make it into the consumer markets.

Upvote 0
Jesus christ people these things are a phone that is just ridiciously overkill
Not really. More and more, users are expecting phones to do pretty much everything their laptops or desktops do - and even more. And they expect to do all that in a pocket-size unit that runs just as fast and smooth. No surprise it takes desktop-type power to provide all that functionality and level of performance.

That said, it will take a while for software to catch up with hardware, much like it has with 32bit vs 64bit on desktops. And like desktops and laptops, with phones you don't always have to buy the latest and greatest hardware to have a perfectly functional and useful unit in your pocket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones