• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh shoot...

Aw fudge Moody :( Hope you have a speedy recovery whatever it may be.
Let us all know where you're at and we'll visit ya :D
Damn, Mike, I wish I'd read this while in the hospital! I can just picture my fellow AFers traipsing from around the country, Android devices in hand/pocket/bag, congregating in my room to show each other our Android paraphernalia. :D The doctors and nurses might be displeased, but I wouldn't!

Upvote 0
I really do hope you're doing good. I've been there and done that myself with hospital stays so I know how much they suck. Six months at a time though I couldn't even imagine. I was there for a week on week off basis for chemo. During my time I did figure out how to get yourself a private room. I honestly couldn't say how though. I've always had a habit of talking in my sleep and the occasional walk. I remember not sleeping properly for a couple of days because of all the shit going on in the backgroundon on the ward. Just as I'd drifted off the nurse come over to change my IV. I half remember saying something to her but to this day I have no idea what. Kinda snapped back into reality when the whole ward was laughing. Kinda wish I knew what it was but somethings I'll never know. Although from that day they gave me a private room for the rest of my stays. Get well soon please :)
What a great story. I wonder what you said?! :thinking: If it helps any, they're used to patients saying/doing weird things; with sedation, lack of sleep, semi-consciousness, etc., they've seen and heard it all.

The last time I was hospitalized (the 6 month one) it started with a week in ICU. I had what I later learned is called "ICU psychosis/delirium." I thought I was at the front of a huge warehouse, and people kept traipsing in and out; I'd see them come in, then lose them as they walked into the darkness; they'd reappear, carrying supplies, and leave. My daughter, who was there, has assured me those were doctors and nurses checking on me, and my room was just a typical ICU room. :D

Oh--I ALWAYS have a private room. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I was a teenager the last time I had a semi-private room (childbirth), and I hated it. I did not feel like chatting all day with a 40-something woman who'd just had her 4th? 5th? baby. We had nothing in common but childbirth.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm practically giddy at being home!

Upvote 0
Too tired last night, so I'll add a bit now.

The 101° fever was likely caused by infection/inflammation in the lining of the lungs, which wouldn't show up on any films. That could have caused the pain. The two rapid doses of Vancomycin killed it, the infection cleared, the inflammation subsided and so did the pain.

One thing about pain and me: I have a FREAKISHLY high pain threshold. Best example is the Friday I broke my ankle upon arriving at work. Stayed for six hours to get that day's projects out, drove 15 miles home in my stick-shift vehicle, waited until Monday to see my doctor, then immediately had surgery to insert a 6" plate and 8 screws. So not a minor fracture!

My helper is aware of that incident, so when *I* complained of severe chest pain, she knew it had to be bad.

Upvote 0
What a great story. I wonder what you said?! :thinking: If it helps any, they're used to patients saying/doing weird things; with sedation, lack of sleep, semi-consciousness, etc., they've seen and heard it all.

The last time I was hospitalized (the 6 month one) it started with a week in ICU. I had what I later learned is called "ICU psychosis/delirium." I thought I was at the front of a huge warehouse, and people kept traipsing in and out; I'd see them come in, then lose them as they walked into the darkness; they'd reappear, carrying supplies, and leave. My daughter, who was there, has assured me those were doctors and nurses checking on me, and my room was just a typical ICU room. :D

Oh--I ALWAYS have a private room. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I was a teenager the last time I had a semi-private room (childbirth), and I hated it. I did not feel like chatting all day with a 40-something woman who'd just had her 4th? 5th? baby. We had nothing in common but childbirth.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm practically giddy at being home!

I'm glad all's good and you're back home. Funny you say they've seen it before as the nurse was the only one who didn't have a giggle. Only got a smile from here. Can't remember the name of it (it was the b, e or p in BEP) but one of them is prone to make you disoriented. I'm glad they told me that before or I would've pressed my buzzer and swore down that I used to be sat over the other side of room. Was honestly convinced about that for a good hour :D

Upvote 0
I'm glad all's good and you're back home. Funny you say they've seen it before as the nurse was the only one who didn't have a giggle. Only got a smile from here. Can't remember the name of it (it was the b, e or p in BEP) but one of them is prone to make you disoriented. I'm glad they told me that before or I would've pressed my buzzer and swore down that I used to be sat over the other side of room. Was honestly convinced about that for a good hour :D
Yeah, a lot of weird stuff can happen when hospitalized. If there's a next time, just keep in mind that there's pretty much NOTHING you can say that'll shock the staff.

I have a story about my uncle that proves my point. He was a physician, highly-regarded and very well-liked by the doctors and nurses at the hospital where he had practicing privileges. But now he was a patient there, and NOT happy about it. To put it bluntly, he was a terrible patient.

So this nurse (or phlebotomist) came in to draw blood. She put the tourniquet on--and he immediately started complaining: "it's too tight! Don't you know what you're doing?!" She poked around looking for a good vein--and he hurled various insults at her for being so inept. She finally found a vein and inserted the needle. He complained that she didn't know what she was doing, it shouldn't hurt that much, blah blah blah, and then let out with "where'd you get your training, Auschwitz?!" :eek:

His wife--a nurse at that facility--was there...and just wanted to crawl into a hole. She was shocked, embarrassed, humiliated--as a spouse. The blood-drawing nurse? Unfazed.

Upvote 0
Yeah, a lot of weird stuff can happen when hospitalized. If there's a next time, just keep in mind that there's pretty much NOTHING you can say that'll shock the staff.

I have a story about my uncle that proves my point. He was a physician, highly-regarded and very well-liked by the doctors and nurses at the hospital where he had practicing privileges. But now he was a patient there, and NOT happy about it. To put it bluntly, he was a terrible patient.

So this nurse (or phlebotomist) came in to draw blood. She put the tourniquet on--and he immediately started complaining: "it's too tight! Don't you know what you're doing?!" She poked around looking for a good vein--and he hurled various insults at her for being so inept. She finally found a vein and inserted the needle. He complained that she didn't know what she was doing, it shouldn't hurt that much, blah blah blah, and then let out with "where'd you get your training, Auschwitz?!" :eek:

His wife--a nurse at that facility--was there...and just wanted to crawl into a hole. She was shocked, embarrassed, humiliated--as a spouse. The blood-drawing nurse? Unfazed.

Damn. Would you believe it if I said I also have an uncle who's a doctor. He's told me doctors are the worst patients even being there himself but damn :eek:

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Damn. Would you believe it if I said I also have an uncle who's a doctor. He's told me doctors are the worst patients even being there himself but damn :eek:
Yep, doctors make terrible patients. But, like you said, damn! I mean my uncle was always very direct, not one to mince words, but PROFESSIONALLY his behavior was impeccable. His patients and staff adored him. Other doctors loved and admired him. But put him in a hospital gown and all bets were off!

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
Yep, doctors make terrible patients. But, like you said, damn! I mean my uncle was always very direct, not one to mince words, but PROFESSIONALLY his behavior was impeccable. His patients and staff adored him. Other doctors loved and admired him. But put him in a hospital gown and all bets were off!

I can kinda agree with it though. It's kinda like someone coming to my work and doing things differently to how I would. Just a lot more at stake for them though :)

Upvote 0
I can kinda agree with it though. It's kinda like someone coming to my work and doing things differently to how I would. Just a lot more at stake for them though :)
I agree with you...but my uncle's behavior was over the top. For all he knew, that nurse might have been Jewish...

And as Armenians, with the Armenian Genocide--that killed many of our relatives--in our own history, we need to be mindful of what we say.

I loved my uncle--and looked up to him as a child, wanting to become a physician because of him--but that outburst was just inexcusable.

Upvote 0
I agree with you...but my uncle's behavior was over the top. For all he knew, that nurse might have been Jewish...

And as Armenians, with the Armenian Genocide--that killed many of our relatives--in our own history, we need to be mindful of what we say.

I loved my uncle--and looked up to him as a child, wanting to become a physician because of him--but that outburst was just inexcusable.

I agree it was over the top hence the damn ;) The rest I can't really comment on as way before my time. Although if it was taken in context it probably wouldn't be a problem. Problems like that tend to occur when context has been missed by a mile :)

Upvote 0
You are older than me Moody.
Perhaps--or just a history buff. :)

Both the Holocaust and Armenian Genocide were way before my time. I learned about the Holocaust in school, including college, and the Armenian Genocide first from older relatives, then by reading up on it.

When I went to college (in the '80s), I didn't hear one word about the Armenian Genocide; I understand that's different now. I'm glad, because it deserves recognition and acknowledgment, just like the Holocaust.

I've actually learned a lot about it from my niece. Although she's half black, she's passionate about her Armenian heritage; she even has an Armenian cross tattoo on her arm. :)

Upvote 0
I agree it was over the top hence the damn ;) The rest I can't really comment on as way before my time. Although if it was taken in context it probably wouldn't be a problem. Problems like that tend to occur when context has been missed by a mile :)
Yeah, they're before my time, too, but I've learned a lot about them because I wanted to. There's this thing about needing to know our (humanity's) mistakes so we don't repeat them.

Upvote 0
Yeah, they're before my time, too, but I've learned a lot about them because I wanted to. There's this thing about needing to know our (humanity's) mistakes so we don't repeat them.

I totally agree with that but I think we're already too late. It doesn't seem to matter where or when we are, there's always pointless violence and killing. No different to the middle ages. Although maybe on a smaller scale so maybe we are actually moving in the right directing. Well until the nukes make that time seem like a blessing. Don't know where, don't know when but it's coming. On that day, goodnight world o_O

Upvote 0
I totally agree with that but I think we're already too late. It doesn't seem to matter where or when we are, there's always pointless violence and killing. No different to the middle ages. Although maybe on a smaller scale so maybe we are actually moving in the right directing. Well until the nukes make that time seem like a blessing. Don't know where, don't know when but it's coming. On that day, goodnight world o_O
I know... It's depressing, but true. :(

Upvote 0
I know... It's depressing, but true. :(

I know it's not as good as a fallout shelter but that could take years that I might have or I might not. So just have a smile on your face when it happens. At least I've died happy instead of f'ing and blinding while trying to dig that ridiculously big whole for the shelter (let alone build it and bury the ****er). So I guess what I'm trying to say is live everyday like it's the last day of your life. Who the **** knows what's going to happen the next :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones