• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OI file manager to update firmware

can we use this program to access the system files in the phone to update the phone?

reason i ask is that my phone has developed problems which doesnt download and install firmware updates OTA and wont hard or soft reset :(

dont want to buy another G1 so id rather make this work

still stuck on rc7 and id like to update it.

if anyone can try this out and identify which files to change or where to replace the firmware through here i would appreciate it

Russell

can we use this program to access the system files in the phone to update the phone?

reason i ask is that my phone has developed problems which doesnt download and install firmware updates OTA and wont hard or soft reset :(

dont want to buy another G1 so id rather make this work

still stuck on rc7 and id like to update it.

if anyone can try this out and identify which files to change or where to replace the firmware through here i would appreciate it

Russell

Not sure you understand "hard reset" but this is basically pulling the battery out for a few seconds putting it back in and restarting the phone if you want to update manually you have a few options 1) you can update manually but since I am state side running on RC33 not RC7 so can't say I know where to get the updates for ya.... or 2) you can root the phone which will allow you more access and freedom to do this in the future... although if you are squeamish about doing it or don't know what rooting is, I would not recommend this for you..... for rooting go here : http://androidforums.com/developer-101/3252-rooting-quick-guide-updated-3-10-09-a.html and instead of using the JF RC33 use this: http://android-dls.com/files/jf/v1.43/JFv1.43_RC9.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones