• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OK Another Noob thread, but please help answer...

JhnGC

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
I'm almost ready to flash my first custom ROM. I'm still on 2.2 and haven't gotten any OTA updates. I used the Unlockr video and used unrevoked, obviously giving me clockwork. I have done a nandroid backup. I have titanium pro and backed up all user apps and data.
1.)I can't seem to find a video/guide for what happens AFTER you reboot with the new ROM. I don't remember my first activation screen when I got the phone, does it just ask me to log into my Google account?
2.) I have to wipe data before I load the new ROM. But it does remember my MEID and phone number etc.? This question must be so stupid because I haven't even seen anyone ask it.
3.) I would love a GB flashy mod I show off, what are the best sites for this? Unlockr has links but I don't know where everyone really goes. I'd love to overclock. I just want to show off to my friends on this one."Look what the guys at Android Forums showed me!"
4.)To restore apps, especially my paid for Titanium Pro? It would restore everything in batch, does market keep my history so I can get my Pro version back? Restore data and apps or just apps? I've read of problems with data.
When I first rooted I got an error with unrevoked3 say something about firmware too new? I just tried again and it worked. That last sentence is to help people overarching who had the same problem.
Thanks in advanced for any help. I really searched for answers but came up short.

I may not nail all of your questions but I'll try to hit on most of them. First of all, make sure you have all of your contacts set up as "google" contacts. That way they sync back every time even after data wipes when flashing new roms.

When you reboot into a new rom, you'll just set up the phone like day one, since you already have a google account, just login as a current user. The "phone info" is retained and so are your market apps so once the phone is set up and you're up and running, go to the market and download Titanium Pro. It'll recognize you due to the verification file on your SD card. Check out the following thread for theory related to Titanium:

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/233251-how-titanium-backup-tips.html

For roms, there is a rom subsection here in the root forum. The overall best location for roms is undoubtedly XDA forums (development forum) located here:

Droid Incredible Android Development - xda-developers

Reactions: JhnGC
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Xda seems to be the place. I'll look for something robust and flashy lol.
Also I've found that I made most of my contacts "phone" instead of gmail and that setting can only be set at contact creation. But I do have titanium and backup assistant. I really don't remember my first setup. I always wondered if, when I reboot with a new Rom, what info I need like meid. I guess that isn't erased and the network would recognize my phone and number.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Xda seems to be the place. I'll look for something robust and flashy lol.
Also I've found that I made most of my contacts "phone" instead of gmail and that setting can only be set at contact creation. But I do have titanium and backup assistant. I really don't remember my first setup. I always wondered if, when I reboot with a new Rom, what info I need like meid. I guess that isn't erased and the network would recognize my phone and number.

you can easily change all of your "phone" contacts to "google" contacts by choosing the option to export you contacts to the sd card, then import them back in and it will ask you if you would like to save them as "google" contacts.

Reactions: theaxeman and JhnGC
Upvote 0
you can easily change all of your "phone" contacts to "google" contacts by choosing the option to export you contacts to the sd card, then import them back in and it will ask you if you would like to save them as "google" contacts.

I just found this out, when I installed Nils business gingersense ROM. But now I know did it right.
So far I installed muiu, didn't like the lack of app drawer. I know there are work arounds but I wanted to check others out. There are so many things I need to find out about...radios, kernals, and some roms have problems like WiFi or 3g issues.
So I've jumped to using BootManager. I'll try multibooting to test different ROMs. Even though the ROMs are on emmc, Nils went very slow. I don't know if was BootManager or Nils...
I jumped up pretty quick for a noob. But then again I do have several flavors of Linux on external drives, so I'm not the average noob, lol.
Thanks for the help guys. I still feel swamped from all the options. I never got the GB OTA update, so this may be my only way of getting it.

Upvote 0
Or you can just export them to the card and reimport them as phone contacts after flashing the new ROM. No need to make them Google contacts at all if you prefer not to.

Upvote 0
Or you can just export them to the card and reimport them as phone contacts after flashing the new ROM. No need to make them Google contacts at all if you prefer not to.

yeah, you can do that, but makes it much easier in the long run if you save them as google contacts. You don't have to remember to export them again if you make any changes to the contacts ie: phone numbers, e-mail addresses etc.

Upvote 0
yeah, you can do that, but makes it much easier in the long run if you save them as google contacts. You don't have to remember to export them again if you make any changes to the contacts ie: phone numbers, e-mail addresses etc.
I'm one of those strange people who prefer not to share their business associates' and family's contact info with Google. ;) The convenience factor seems too slight to me to justify it, but YMMV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones