• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OK before I "Leak" I just have a couple questions

Joe Eris

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Riverside CA
I'm getting impatient with all this OTA speculation & I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and install .232 this weekend. I just wanna be clear on a couple things. what specifically are the pro's & con's of ics? :) Thank
s in advance..

EDIT : OK so I did it. So far I am very impressed! I didn't lose any apps or data & everything is just so much smoother. Even the haptic feedback is different. It did take almost an hour to completely boot up but now that it has, WOW!

Reactions: Deleted User
1327954447765.jpg
[/IMG]
An hour? Wow...I would have been very nervous, haha

You have no idea.
1327954447765.jpg
1327954447765.jpg

Upvote 0
How much different is the ui mate?

It's buttery smooth. Every bit as smooth as an I phone. The pinch zoom on Web pages flawlessly smooth like an I phone. My Go Launcher is WAY smoother. Navaiating through pics & videos with QuickPic is virtually instant. Overall VERY quick, snappy, & smooth. Very nice. The way it should be. :)
20120806-150331.jpg

Upvote 0
My advice to anyone on Gingerbread whose still on the fence about installing a leak, Go for it. It's totally worth it.

Yes there have been great reports from people who have installed the leaks that are not supported by Motorola or Verizon.

There still seem to be some capabilities missing that may or may not ever be in the ICS OTA.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post, having the same feelings about being on the fence regarding .232. My question is, if I update now, once the OTA comes out what do you think will be the next course of action for those on .232+?

Well, if the ota has eliminated the following small issues of. 232
;Sound stops working intermittently - have to restart ;Calendar app is gone from app list, but its found under manage apps and under widgets ;Sound in physical phone earpiece is sometimes garbled ; GPS was fine for a few days, but is now intermittent &;When in car mode, home button should take you to car mode, not the home screen
& slightly Glitchy but functional video.

Then I would return to . 905 & take the ota, but if you flash anything higher than. 232, you're stuck with it pretty much as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong Thom. That said, I'm still quite stoked on ics . 232, it's that good :)

Upvote 0
from what i understand from motorola devices, if you root then you will still receive update notifications, however if you freeze apps or uninstall them, they need to be unfrozen or reinstalled or you might have a big issue on your hands. I am not sure if having the stock recovery is that big of a deal for the new updates now? but i know it does matter for the nexus.

Upvote 0
Then I would return to . 905 & take the ota, but if you flash anything higher than. 232, you're stuck with it pretty much as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong Thom. That said, I'm still quite stoked on ics . 232, it's that good :)

There is no way to know for sure what Motorola/Verizon will do after the ICS OTA is released for the people who did all the volunteer testing for them to improve their product.

The assumption has always been that you had to revert to Gingerbread to get back on the OTA automatic update path. This is yet to be determined.

There is also the question of where people go from 6.7.235 and 6.7.238. This is yet to be determined.

In essence ... you have to wait and see ... and ... if you want to try ICS the recommended leak is 6.7.232 because you can revert to Gingerbread and get back on the OTA automatic update path ... if the other possibilities are not available.

So ... most conservative ... wait for the ICS OTA ... most conservative to try leaks ... go with 6.7.232.

... Thom

Upvote 0
There is no way to know for sure what Motorola/Verizon will do after the ICS OTA is released for the people who did all the volunteer testing for them to improve their product.

The assumption has always been that you had to revert to Gingerbread to get back on the OTA automatic update path. This is yet to be determined.

There is also the question of where people go from 6.7.235 and 6.7.238. This is yet to be determined.

In essence ... you have to wait and see ... and ... if you want to try ICS the recommended leak is 6.7.232 because you can revert to Gingerbread and get back on the OTA automatic update path ... if the other possibilities are not available.

So ... most conservative ... wait for the ICS OTA ... most conservative to try leaks ... go with 6.7.232.

... Thom

i agree with everything thom says.

however knowing verizon's track record with updates. i wouldnt wait around to experience ICS, i cant speak for Motorola's ICS build as it looks blurred all the crap and it is no where close to AOSP (which i enjoy) then i wouldnt care for it that much.

Upvote 0
from what i understand from motorola devices, if you root then you will still receive update notifications, however if you freeze apps or uninstall them, they need to be unfrozen or reinstalled or you might have a big issue on your hands. I am not sure if having the stock recovery is that big of a deal for the new updates now? but i know it does matter for the nexus.

I think he was asking if he would get automatic notification of the OTA if he installed the ICS leak and was root-ed.The kicker here IMNHO is that there is no way for knowing how Verizon/Wireless will recognize the "from" state in the ICS OTA. It has been assumed that it is Gingerbread root-ed or Gingerbread un-root-ed. I think that is likely but is yet to be determined.

... Thom

Reactions: VoidedSaint
Upvote 0
yea, just plain rooted he would get the notification, however with the ICS leak, the devs altered the build to make it to where it doesnt receive notification of a new official ota update. i believe they change the updater.apk to updater.bak or remove it completely

Thanks for the information.

As a result of the thanks you gave me ... I have to ask ...

<<<<<< See Number

... does that mean I am hal-way more than half-way-to-hell?

... Thom

Upvote 0
gee, "buttery smooth" vs garbled audio and other sound issues? doesn't sound like that great of a deal IMO. I don't want to go back to similar problems that I had with my Storm with missing calls (the ringer would stop functioning when it felt like it), not to mention a whole host of other show stopper problems. My bionic is my ONLY phone--I can't have it become more flaky than it already is, which is currently tolerable except for the data dropping issues that persist to this day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones