• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OK Folks S3 or Supreme

jamstewonline

Jul 28, 2013
Texas
I want a larger phone. Currently have F3 and like it a lot but screen size and screen quality are important to me. Camera quality should be good but not that big of a pic taker. Low internal space is ok if moving apps 2 sd is available.

The only thing that concerns me is :

Some people say the screen on the supreme is weak and can break easily.

People say the S3 can have problems with the charging port.

I can't decide need your opinion on these phones please.

I was ready to buy an S3 until the Volt came out. I have only had it a few days, but so far so good. My reasons for for buying the Volt were:

1) LG is not Samsung, but still a pretty good manufacturer.
2) Kit Kat is newer than Jellybean and will getting more attention from Android.
3) Spark enabled - the only phone in the VM lineup that is.
4) The hardware spec's will meet my needs.
5) The overwhelming positive reviews - especially for a mid-range device.

This is not a knock on the S3. I just saw the opportunity in the Volt to get current technology where I thought it would count in a year or two.

My thoughts are with the current lineup of VM Android devices, not counting the pricey S5, the next two are the S3 and Volt - nothing else.

Upvote 0
I was ready to buy an S3 until the Volt came out. I have only had it a few days, but so far so good. My reasons for for buying the Volt were:

1) LG is not Samsung, but still a pretty good manufacturer.
2) Kit Kat is newer than Jellybean and will getting more attention from Android.
3) Spark enabled - the only phone in the VM lineup that is.
4) The hardware spec's will meet my needs.
5) The overwhelming positive reviews - especially for a mid-range device.

This is not a knock on the S3. I just saw the opportunity in the Volt to get current technology where I thought it would count in a year or two.

My thoughts are with the current lineup of VM Android devices, not counting the pricey S5, the next two are the S3 and Volt - nothing else.

The S3 does run Kit Kat. Virgin started rolling it out last week. If you don't want to wait, it's available through Kies. I updated last week, and it seems to run a bit faster, with better battery life than 4.3.

I would definitely say the S3. I've had mine close to a year now, with no issues. IMO, ZTE is not a brand I would buy yet.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I've had no problems with the ZTE Supreme that would make me regret purchasing it for $150 on Black Friday (same price is available now on VM.com). The screen isn't gorilla glass but seems tough and has stood up to the ordinary drops and stuff. I was very skeptical about ZTE but I've been pleasantly surprised with the build quality of the device.

That said, given the difference between the Supreme on a huge sale and the Volt at list price is $30, if I were in the market for a new phone, I'd probably wait a few weeks for the Volt to go on sale and snap it up. This is especially true if I am in a Spark market.

EDIT: I'll qualify my pro-Volt opinion by saying that it does not appear anybody has been able to root it so far because LG locked down the bootloader. If you want a rooted device, you may want to wait until they figure this out.

Upvote 0
I had LG's for many years and they always worked good. Never had a problem. The last one was an Optimums V - Had it for 1.5 years and its sitting in a box right, charge it up and it would work just fine. But hands down, I do believe the S3 was the best phones and the biggest one in leaps over the competition. I've had mine for over a year now, with NO problems. I even dropped it out of the golf cart onto the cement path. Its got a small dent it the upper left corner, but works like a charm. The VM version has 16gb of internal memory. I don't thing any of the LG's can match the memory. It supports KitKat as others have noted. For the cost, its still one of the better devices that I ever had.

JMHO - Your mileage may vary

:D

Upvote 0
OK Update got the S3. Love it so far. But that means a farewell good bye to the F3 well sort of, it will now be my bedside alarm and radio. Kyocera Rise now retired along with the HTC Hero. and now i have to move on and start reading the S3 forums so stay safe and play nice everyone maybe i will see you in the S3 forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones