• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ok Gingerbread questions...

Ok so I've waited it out before attempting to download the GB leak because when it first came out they said it wasn't rooted and I use like 15 different root apps. So that was a deal breaker.

Then I saw where someone said there would be no 1-click root for this, and that we'd probably have to root it the old fashion way. Well I did that way back when root first hit the DX and that was not a fun day.

So then they said they had a pre-rooted GB out, and that the previous one broke the stock recovery. At that point I thought.... man maybe I should tune back in next week and see if everything is straightened out!!!

But the initial reviews have been so positive I'm dying to try it. So just for the record... so that not everyone (like me) has to read through that entire 5 page thread on how to get it, my questions are...

1. It says to start from a rooted 3.2.340 kernel... right? I'm currently on Liberty 1.5 which says my kernel is 2.6.32.9, so I'm assuming I have to go back to one of my stock ROMs, root it, and then do the SBF..... yes?

2. Do you have to have all of the bloat in place like when doing an official OTA update? Or does it just have to be the 3.2.340 kernel?

3. So far the only way to get it is by SBFing, right? No zip files or anything you can do within the phone. You have to download the files to your computer and plug your phone it via USB... right? Gosh it's been a long time since my phone was plugged into my computer. I wonder if they'll come out with a zip file within the next few weeks. Any guesses?

4. Once I am on the new Gingerbread, I can still flash back to my GummyJAR, Liberty, Apex and all those other ROMs... right? I just have to use the D2 bootstrapper to get to them? Or do I use DX Bootstrapper to get to those ROMs and D2 to get back to the GB ROM? That part is still rather confusing to me. Why do some people say DX Bootstrapper still works for them while others say you have to have D2 Bootstrapper? What is the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who tries to answer any of the above questiones.

You will bootloop if you try to restore a backup.

So once I flash this I no longer have any access to my nandroids period? They will become completely useless and I should just delete them then? Or would they still be usable if I SBF'd back to 3.2.340... or can you SBF back to 3.2.340 after flashing this?

Upvote 0
I came straight from rubix focused but had couple hiccups. I would recommend sbf'ing, rooting, and doing it from recovery on a fresh install. You install it like any other rom. Through the dx bootstrap. I think you don't have to wipe data when coming from stock 3.2.40, BUT its highly recommended to wipe data and cache when installing a new rom. I think you need to use the d2 bootstrap but idk if you can flash to the froyo roms from gb. I sbf'ed to go back.

Reactions: jroc and Outlaw71
Upvote 0
I came straight from rubix focused but had couple hiccups. I would recommend sbf'ing, rooting, and doing it from recovery on a fresh install. You install it like any other rom. Through the dx bootstrap. I think you don't have to wipe data when coming from stock 3.2.40, BUT its highly recommended to wipe data and cache when installing a new rom. I think you need to use the d2 bootstrap but idk if you can flash to the froyo roms from gb. I sbf'ed to go back.

Ok, well I have a fresh nandroid of 3.2.340 saved away in my recovery... it's not even rooted. So I'm assuming I can flash to it, use Z4 to root it, then flash this Gingerbread... yes?

Do all those who've tried it recommend flashing it? Is it really that much better than Liberty, Apex, GummyJAR, etc...

Upvote 0
Ok, well I have a fresh nandroid of 3.2.340 saved away in my recovery... it's not even rooted. So I'm assuming I can flash to it, use Z4 to root it, then flash this Gingerbread... yes?

Do all those who've tried it recommend flashing it? Is it really that much better than Liberty, Apex, GummyJAR, etc...

I think its awesome, but i needed tether so i came back, but now they are saying the 3g hotspot hack works! so im planning on going back today :cool:

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0
Whoa.... ok I went to one of the mirrors to download the pre-rooted file and it only took like 30 seconds to download... can that be possible? People were reporting 45 minute download times the other day. Is this simply because there isn't any traffic now? It shows the file is 21.05 kbs.... that doesn't sound big enough.

Upvote 0
Whoa.... ok I went to one of the mirrors to download the pre-rooted file and it only took like 30 seconds to download... can that be possible? People were reporting 45 minute download times the other day. Is this simply because there isn't any traffic now? It shows the file is 21.05 kbs.... that doesn't sound big enough.

yeah i wouldnt use that one. use the links in MDW and they also show the file size and md5 to check it against

Upvote 0
I came off Fission and just wiped data and cache before installing and had no problems. The only reason I had to do a SBF was because I was on the unrooted version first. No offence to our developers, but I have not been on a ROM as good as this. Now I can't wait to see what they can do to this build to make it even better.

I think you can go to the back-up if you don't like it, but worst case is you flash the .340 SBF zip, reroot it and then restore your .340 back-up.

Update---
OK, they are saying SBF back to .340 and then re-root and then restore you back-up, don't go straight from your Gingerbread to a .340 back-up or you will bootloop.

Upvote 0
I came off Fission and just wiped data and cache before installing and had no problems. The only reason I had to do a SBF was because I was on the unrooted version first. No offence to our developers, but I have not been on a ROM as good as this. Now I can't wait to see what they can do to this build to make it even better.

I think you can go to the back-up if you don't like it, but worst case is you flash the .340 SBF zip, reroot it and then restore your .340 back-up.

Update---
OK, they are saying SBF back to .340 and then re-root and then restore you back-up, don't go straight from your Gingerbread to a .340 back-up or you will bootloop.

you CAN NOT go from gingerbread to a 2.2.1 backup without flashing the SBF first. you will wind up stuck at the M. to go from Gingerbread to any of your old backups you have to SBF back>root>restore your backup

Upvote 0
Ok mirror 3 seems to be doing the trick. And even though I'm connected to wifi, it's going slooooooooooo o o o o o o o o o o o o w w w w......

Oh well, this is still awesome!!!

I love it. I really think they did A LOT right with this build. I have been an AVID Launcher Pro user before, and I honestly dont know that I will be putting launcher pro on here... not for now at least. my one complaint is the wireless tether for root app not working right now (but im sure it will get fixed)

Upvote 0
I agree with ECF that im probably not going to put a diff launcher on it as well. I really like this build also. When you get some free time just go through everything starting with settings, things you wouldn't normally use on a daily basis. There is very little that was untouched by this update. The best part is not only did it update the pretty gui stuff that you see but it was apparently a major behind the scene performance update as well.

One thing i think people need to realize is STOP DODGING DOING SBF. If you have never done it before it is good to learn how to do it. Now is as good of a time as any. Also it never hurts sometimes to just start fresh.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

Links are all dead.

Also, I have a question about GB. Is this the full next release (update for the X), a prerelease candidate, or is this more like a ROM update. I keep seeing some people referring to installing it like a rom...just a little confused. If this is just one prerelease and there may be many others, then I may wait for a final.

Can someone post us some pics or videos on what this looks like?

And finally, I am one of these that has never done sbf. Can someone post a link or the instructions for doing this...looks like I will need to do this at some point in the near future.

Upvote 0
Riht now on .340 the mederstock.zip can be used to very easily flash back to completely stock froyo from any of the current froyo roms using the dx bootstrap
If installing te pre-rooted version of gingerbread, as long as the phone boots into gingerbread without going into a bootloop can the maderstock.zip be used to get back to froyo to get the ota if somebody wanted it? Or if there were other issues with the install?
Would tis mean that an SBF would only be required if the phone bootloops, or someting else along hose lines?

Upvote 0
Links are all dead.

Also, I have a question about GB. Is this the full next release (update for the X), a prerelease candidate, or is this more like a ROM update. I keep seeing some people referring to installing it like a rom...just a little confused. If this is just one prerelease and there may be many others, then I may wait for a final.

Can someone post us some pics or videos on what this looks like?

And finally, I am one of these that has never done sbf. Can someone post a link or the instructions for doing this...looks like I will need to do this at some point in the near future.

go here for SBF instructions

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

also this is a full GB update. IMO i would say very very close to what will be final release. You can also find a video of it in action here.

Video: DROID X Gingerbread Walk-through - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0
go here for SBF instructions

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

also this is a full GB update. IMO i would say very very close to what will be final release. You can also find a video of it in action here.

Video: DROID X Gingerbread Walk-through - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks! Now, to my next question. I found this thread http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/254605-update-2-3-340-easily.html and wondered, is there any reason to sbf now, since this is available?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones