1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

OK Google doesn't work most of the time

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by CharlesLewis, Feb 11, 2016.

1. CharlesLewis

CharlesLewis Android Enthusiast

I have the Galaxy Note 4, running Android 5.1.1. At some point, OK Google was working spasmodically, but usually only if the Goggle input window was open. Now it only works some of the time, and never when the window isn't open.

I have set the OK Google detection options to on for all of the items, including always on and from the Google app.

If I hit the microphone icon, all is OK, but the purpose of the option is to allow me to access Google for times when I don't want to either go back to that screen or am in a position where I don't need to look at the phone screen at all.

Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Uninstall and reinstall the app. Go through the voice set up again.

But, honestly, this app function is very inconsistent and problems seem to occur on every type of phone at some point.

scary alien likes this.
  3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Personally, the only reliable way to use Google Voice is to have it installed on a home screen and you touch the Microphone icon.
    then it works every time for me.

My wife uses it full time as a means of yelling "ANSWER" when someone calls her cellphone.
    There again, it is only active for a short time.

I have found that trying to keep it active is fraught with an extreme amount of frustration.

Why? there is just simply too much noise in our world, and that noise will mask the sounds/phrase that you want Google Voice to work with.

If you move more than about 12 inches away from the phone, it gets very unreliable.

I also have the Note 4, the wife's is on a Galaxy S5.

scary alien and tube517 like this.