1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General OK Google hangs/doesn't work when making phone calls

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steveFTC, Jun 14, 2016.

1. steveFTC

steveFTC Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. Got Marshmallow last week and then did a factory reset. "OK Google" hangs when making phone calls. If I say "Call Mom", it recognizes it and shows it on the screen the the dots just keep going around in circles and nothing happens (once or twice it will make the call, 2-3 minutes later if I forget and leave that screen open).

The weird thing is if I say "Call voicemail", it immediately connects. And everything else with Google Now works (calendar, searches, etc..). It only hangs for phone calls.

I've cleared the cache, storage, turned Now cards off/on and everything else I can think of. Even disabled S Voice. My contacts sync fine with my Gmail account. No idea why it will not make a call.

(posted this on Google Groups also)

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Advertisement

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Have you uninstalled updates for Google Now and reinstalled? Did you delete and retrain the voice model?

3. steveFTC

steveFTC Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. I finally figured it out. One of the Google Play Services individual permissions was off (phone, I believe). Once I allowed it, all worked. It's possible I turned it off by accident. But strange that I never got a warning or a dialog box telling me to turn it on. On top of that, it worked with voicemail so I figured it was working with the phone app (but I guess that's a built-in number).

Steve

tube517 likes this.
  4. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Yep, Marshmallow gives you more control over permissions.

Just have to remember (we all forget), you have to check it because it doesn't always prompt you to turn it on.

5. steveFTC

steveFTC Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Yep, thanks. The weird part it was the Google Play Services that needed it turned on, not the Google app. They really like to hide things or make them non-intuitive. :cool:

Steve

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.