• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ok, Im ready to ROOT. How long is the process?

I wanna give a huge thanks to DonB and LBPHeretic for all the outstanding help! I've been able to root using Z4Root, though I had to update to stock 2.1 first (from 1.5). I then followed the steps provided and flashed LiquidSense 2.1, though it didn't look as nice as DonB's did. I think I needed LauncherPro for that.
I'm now running asopCMod 2.3 3/7 as well as Brainfuct #15 capped 691. Outstanding! This little POS just got to live a few months longer! It's actually fun to use for the first time! No isues so far, and I haven't used the GPS yet.
BTW, I suggest you look at boblo's post http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...27-need-help-come-here-general-questions.html. I also looked at DonB's http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...my-root-process-those-want-learn-process.html.

Reactions: Godfather13
Upvote 0
Format partitions first, go to mounts and storage as LBP mention and do not format SD card

Yeah, I just figured out that it says "Mounts and Storage" now because the default version of ClockworkMod Recovery in ROM Manager is now version 2.5.0.7. I had "Partitions" on mine as well because it was version 2.5.0.1.

I just flashed ClockworkMod Recovery version 2.5.0.7. I wonder if Nandroids made with version 2.5.0.1 are compatible with version 2.5.0.7?

Upvote 0
I have not tried, but I was told yes

Yeah, I just figured out that it says "Mounts and Storage" now because the default version of ClockworkMod Recovery in ROM Manager is now version 2.5.0.7. I had "Partitions" on mine as well because it was version 2.5.0.1.

I just flashed ClockworkMod Recovery version 2.5.0.7. I wonder if Nandroids made with version 2.5.0.1 are compatible with version 2.5.0.7?

Upvote 0
It is our pleasure, glad we could help, also in my Signature check the "Lots useful root info"

I wanna give a huge thanks to DonB and LBPHeretic for all the outstanding help! I've been able to root using Z4Root, though I had to update to stock 2.1 first (from 1.5). I then followed the steps provided and flashed LiquidSense 2.1, though it didn't look as nice as DonB's did. I think I needed LauncherPro for that.
I'm now running asopCMod 2.3 3/7 as well as Brainfuct #15 capped 691. Outstanding! This little POS just got to live a few months longer! It's actually fun to use for the first time! No isues so far, and I haven't used the GPS yet.
BTW, I suggest you look at boblo's post http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...27-need-help-come-here-general-questions.html. I also looked at DonB's http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...my-root-process-those-want-learn-process.html.

Upvote 0
As for your apps, you will probably have to go through and download them again because Android 2.1 does not remember what apps you had, although Android 2.2 and up does. Another idea would be to sign into the Web Android Market on your computer and push your apps to your Sprint HTC Hero. That MIGHT work because it is compatible with Android 2.1 and up. I would recommend Handcent SMS for text messaging and your battery life may seem bad for the first few charge cycles, but it will improve. :)

Downloaded Handcent and went to applications and force closed/cleared cache on the stock messenger. But when I get a text that messenger still gives me the notification in the tool bar. How do I disable that? Did it before but having a brain fart now.

Upvote 0
Open the stock messaging app from the app drawer, then hit menu once open and disable notification from there

Downloaded Handcent and went to applications and force closed/cleared cache on the stock messenger. But when I get a text that messenger still gives me the notification in the tool bar. How do I disable that? Did it before but having a brain fart now.

Upvote 0
I don't use Handscent anymore, all I care about it the pop up notification to be able to respond right away, so I use SMS Popup from the market now,much lighter

Upvote 0
Thats the nice thing about this. You can can have multiple rev's backed up and switch back and forth until you have a rev that fits what you want. Right now I have my rooted rev. Liduidsense 2.1 and 2.3 Gingerbread. I will eventually move to 2.3 once I have it the way I like it. Then all the other ones will be moved and save on my PC just incase I need them one day. Just everytime you make changes, make a backup!!

Upvote 0
I use something called Calendar Pad: Calendar Pad - Android .

Here is the Sprint Visual Voicemail .apk file: sprint-vvm-5.1.0.48.zip . You can install the Sprint Visual Voicemail .apk file using a file explorer app like EStrongs File Explorer. That is what I would use.

Ok so with this file I can just download it and install from EStrong app right? I dont reboot into recovery and then click install zip from file correct?

Upvote 0
Simply go to the market and type Calender Pad, download and install that is it, then once installed then open and set up how you want

Ok so with this file I can just download it and install from EStrong app right? I dont reboot into recovery and then click install zip from file correct?

Upvote 0
Simply go to the market and type Calender Pad, download and install that is it, then once installed then open and set up how you want

No, sorry, I was referring to the visual voicemail. I didnt realize there was no voicemail on this Froyo set up. So do I download this file to the phone and open thru EStrong or do I need to reboot to recovery and open it in there?

<<<<<<<<<Here is the Sprint Visual Voicemail .apk file: sprint-vvm-5.1.0.48.zip . You can install the Sprint Visual Voicemail .apk file using a file explorer app like EStrongs File Explorer. That is what I would use.>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0
I prefer Google Voicemail, you will never need to set it up again once done, if you want sprint you well need to follow the setup in the wiki for hero, Install Sprint Visual Voicemail

No, sorry, I was referring to the visual voicemail. I didnt realize there was no voicemail on this Froyo set up. So do I download this file to the phone and open thru EStrong or do I need to reboot to recovery and open it in there?

<<<<<<<<<Here is the Sprint Visual Voicemail .apk file: sprint-vvm-5.1.0.48.zip . You can install the Sprint Visual Voicemail .apk file using a file explorer app like EStrongs File Explorer. That is what I would use.>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0
Is the Google Voicemail in the app market? Or is it a zip file I need to download?

Another few questions:
1. I downloaded the Cache Cleaner app. How often should I use this? Once a day? And should I select that the cache files also be removed from the sd card?

2. I liked my stock Hero Clock with weather icon on the main screen of the Eclair set up. I liked just being able to 1 touch the weather and it pulled up the forecast for the next 5 days. Is that available for me to have with Froyo or is that where the "liquidsense" comes in?

3. I would like to be able to use my phone as a wireless hotspot aka tethering. Is this a possibility and if so what steps do I need to take?

As always, thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0
Is the Google Voicemail in the app market? Or is it a zip file I need to download?

Another few questions:
1. I downloaded the Cache Cleaner app. How often should I use this? Once a day? And should I select that the cache files also be removed from the sd card?

2. I liked my stock Hero Clock with weather icon on the main screen of the Eclair set up. I liked just being able to 1 touch the weather and it pulled up the forecast for the next 5 days. Is that available for me to have with Froyo or is that where the "liquidsense" comes in?

3. I would like to be able to use my phone as a wireless hotspot aka tethering. Is this a possibility and if so what steps do I need to take?

You can run Cache Cleaner as often as you need. It depends on how much space you want to free up intermittently. You can get your stock Sprint HTC Hero clock back with Fancy Widget: AppBrain Android market | Fancy Widget .

As for tethering you can download either Wi-Fi Tether or Barnacle. I use the latter: Barnacle Wifi Tether - Android app on AppBrain . I hope this information helps.

Upvote 0
Googlevoice, you login into your Gmail account and you can access GV from there and set it up, and yes there is an app in the market for it also

Cache clean once a day is fine and yes clear SD cache also

For the Clock, download an app called Fancy widget, looks exact like the HTC sense clock

WiFi hot spot not now, but tethering yes, look in my signature for barnacle, works great

Another few questions:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So that link says tethering is good for an iPad, Im guessing I need some sort of connector to hook my phone up to the iPad or am I missing something?

Ok got Fancy Widget. Very cool. Also just learned I have a power control widget for turning on bluetooth, gps, wifi, etc. Very neat. So I assume I dont need those individual on/off buttons from the app store correct?

I assume I also dont need the app wefi right? Or do I? When I click on the wifi button on the power control nothing happens to allow me to search for a wifi spot. Am I missing a step?

Another question (bet youre tired of these by now huh?) I keep all my music on iTunes. If there is an album or 2 I want to put on my phone how do I go about doing it?

Upvote 0
To be honest, I would just use Z4Root. It is by far the easiest method to use, in my opinion.

Just download it here: 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage . Copy it to your microSD card from your computer. Download EStrongs File Explorer and install it from the Android Market and then use it to navigate to the Z4Root.apk file on your microSD card and install it. Then you just run Z4Root and choose permanent root. It may take a while to root and if it takes over fifteen minutes, just pull your battery, then reboot and try again.

I did this and my phone says I'm still using 2.1. Did I do something wrong?

Upvote 0
I did this and my phone says I'm still using 2.1. Did I do something wrong?

Rooting does not automatically update your handset to a newer version of Android. If you root while on Android 2.1, your handset will still be on Android 2.1 afterward.

Rooting gives you superuser permissions to run root apps, overclock, and flash new ROMs and kernels on your handset. You have to flash a new ROM to get an updated version of Android on your handset, after you have rooted.

Reactions: BrianBertrand
Upvote 0
You will need to convert your ITunes, WiFi you need to set that up tom your router, or you can use an unsecured one which I would not, also F Widget has a bunch of settings and a couple of different clock settings, I use Digital

So that link says tethering is good for an iPad, Im guessing I need some sort of connector to hook my phone up to the iPad or am I missing something?

Ok got Fancy Widget. Very cool. Also just learned I have a power control widget for turning on bluetooth, gps, wifi, etc. Very neat. So I assume I dont need those individual on/off buttons from the app store correct?

I assume I also dont need the app wefi right? Or do I? When I click on the wifi button on the power control nothing happens to allow me to search for a wifi spot. Am I missing a step?

Another question (bet youre tired of these by now huh?) I keep all my music on iTunes. If there is an album or 2 I want to put on my phone how do I go about doing it?

Upvote 0
+1 on this, flashing a Rom will change your version number

Rooting does not automatically update your handset to a newer version of Android. If you root while on Android 2.1, your handset will still be on Android 2.1 afterward.

Rooting gives you superuser permissions to run root apps, overclock, and flash new ROMs and kernels on your handset. You have to flash a new ROM to get an updated version of Android on your handset, after you have rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones