• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ok, Im ready to ROOT. How long is the process?

OK power your phone off, once off, hold the Home button and the End button at the same time and let it boot into recovery, once you are into recovery you will do a full wipe, I will not make you do a backup as it is too late now, so you are going to be starting everything from scratch, to do a full wipe this is what you are going to do in these steps exact, if you are not sure on something, then ask, don't do anything unless you are sure.

Full wipe for flashing
CWM Recovery
Wipe data/Factory Reset
Wipe cache partition
Go to Advance/ Then Wipe Davlik cache, then back out

Go to Mounts and Storage

Partitions Menu/Format Boot
Partition Menu/Format System
Partition Menu/Format data
Partition Menu/Format Cache

"Do Not Format SD Card"

Once you have done this then back out and go to install zip from SD card, then scroll down with the trackball until you find AOSP 9.9.2 and then click on that and install, let it do it's thing and once it is installed, then you will install the Gapps the same way as the Rom, once both Rom and Gapps are install then reboot, and report back then

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did. I just followed the step by steps from page 1

Reactions: AsianHTCHero
Upvote 0
Alright, first of all thanks very much. right now i turned off phone, held end and home button. these options came up
-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe date/facetory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advance

which one do i choose?
OK power your phone off, once off, hold the Home button and the End button at the same time and let it boot into recovery, once you are into recovery you will do a full wipe, I will not make you do a backup as it is too late now, so you are going to be starting everything from scratch, to do a full wipe this is what you are going to do in these steps exact, if you are not sure on something, then ask, don't do anything unless you are sure.

Full wipe for flashing
CWM Recovery
Wipe data/Factory Reset
Wipe cache partition

Go to Mounts and Storage

"Do Not Format SD Card"

Once you have done this then back out and go to install zip from SD card, then scroll down with the trackball until you find AOSP 9.9.2 and then click on that and install, let it do it's thing and once it is installed, then you will install the Gapps the same way as the Rom, once both Rom and Gapps are install then reboot, and report back then

Upvote 0
That is correct, now follow my instructions from there, scroll down with the trackball and hit wipe data/Factory reset, then follow the rest of my instructions as I mentioned

Alright, first of all thanks very much. right now i turned off phone, held end and home button. these options came up
-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe date/facetory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advance

which one do i choose?

Upvote 0

Full wipe for flashing
CWM Recovery
Wipe data/Factory Reset
Wipe cache partition

Go to Mounts and Storage

"Do Not Format SD Card"

Alright done and rebooted

Upvote 0
No, simply download the apps you want from the market, download your Rom Manager aging so you have it, and if you don't like that launcher, then download launcher Pro from the market, anything else you need let us know

alright cool, signed in. anything else i need to do?

Upvote 0
Actually I didn't read his thread, simply read his PM to me which was in dire straits, LOL

Well, reading his thread, it looked like all he forgot to do was flash the gapps and he was not sure how to flash the gapps since he didn't have the market, so.......... sorry for giving any input:p

Upvote 0
That is correct, as I was in a rush when I read the PM and simply made his start from scratch without have to go through the whole thread, was quicker for me, and I did not want to reply in the PM as others won't learn from that and wanted him to have it recorded incase I was not around and someone else took over.

Wow, ok:p You only posted in the thread but you didn't read the thread, that makes sense:D

Upvote 0
whats up donB, quick question for you my friend.

followed this thread for about 2 hours rooting my hero today, used rom manager and a nightly build from cyanogenmod, looks like the latest/most current build they have for the hero. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. REALTALK.COM - lol. But I am having one issue I wanted to ask you about.

It seems like my wifi is so weak...doesnt pick up signal hardly at all and I live in a pretty small 2 bedroom apartment....never had this issue before. Is there some apk file I can flash to the phone to fix this? Or do I just have to wait for the new builds and hope that the issue is addressed in those new builds?

Did godfather get his hero rockin' and rollin' too? I saw he was having some problems at first. You guys do a great job here, thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
I was just about to tell you to reboot your router and I see you have already done that, great, as I have no issues with WiFi, as for Godfather yes he is rocking and rolling, he is good now, NP

whats up donB, quick question for you my friend.

followed this thread for about 2 hours rooting my hero today, used rom manager and a nightly build from cyanogenmod, looks like the latest/most current build they have for the hero. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. REALTALK.COM - lol. But I am having one issue I wanted to ask you about.

It seems like my wifi is so weak...doesnt pick up signal hardly at all and I live in a pretty small 2 bedroom apartment....never had this issue before. Is there some apk file I can flash to the phone to fix this? Or do I just have to wait for the new builds and hope that the issue is addressed in those new builds?

Did godfather get his hero rockin' and rollin' too? I saw he was having some problems at first. You guys do a great job here, thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Here are a few of mine for you, which I already have in my rooted thread

attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm just wondering how you added things to the bottom of the screen. I'm also wondering how you did the thing second from the bottom with the contacts and their pictures.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones