• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OK, just ran unrevoked 3.21 on a totally stock NON 2.2 phone..now what?

I have one of the 1st EVO's 2.1, 1.39.00.04.26, I just ran Unrevoked 3.21....so before I do anything else, can anyone who has "successfully" done this tell me what do I need to update next (radio, OTA 2.2, etc.) and where can I find whatever files or steps I need to take next?

I was also reading about Unrevoked Forever, is this something I should do as well, or?

I'm just making sure I do this right and with some guidance, versus just doing without any knowledge and screwing things up.

thanks in advance.

I have one of the 1st EVO's 2.1, 1.39.00.04.26, I just ran Unrevoked 3.21....so before I do anything else, can anyone who has "successfully" done this tell me what do I need to update next (radio, OTA 2.2, etc.) and where can I find whatever files or steps I need to take next?

I was also reading about Unrevoked Forever, is this something I should do as well, or?

I'm just making sure I do this right and with some guidance, versus just doing without any knowledge and screwing things up.

thanks in advance.

If you are a newbie then I highly suggest downloading a app from the market called ROM Manager. It will help you to flash (install) different ROMS from various developers.

Regarding Unrevoked Forever...its a preference if you want to do that process but not necessary. You are now rooted giving you the user a lot of options to customize your phone.

Are you looking to be on the 2.2? I would suggest it highly, everything is very fast!! You should definitely get wireless tether, most custom ROMS include this. Sprint charges $29.99 per month for this.

Go to xda developers: EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers and create an account and start reading what ROMS you would like to use. Most of them have screenshots...I have been using the fresh evo 3.3.0.1 He is one of the more popular ones out there.
Keep in mind, there are also stock ROMS that are rooted. It's basically what you would get from Sprint but rooted so that you can theme and get free wireless tether. If you like their work, please donate some $$ to them for their hard work.

**Important...you are now rooted so do not accept any over the air updates from Sprint or HTC. XDA Developers usually will get that update and create a ROM for us rooted people.

I hope this is the answers you were looking for? Good luck!!

Upvote 0
Are you looking to be on the 2.2?

This is pretty much what I am interested in, is getting to 2.2, either stock rooted rom, or yes a custom rom..."however", i cant do OTA, my phone insists when I try to update it that "there is no update avail, your phone is up to date", why, who knows.....so, I guess I have to use a custom rom, which is perfectly fine...so my next question is: When you get any of these "custom" roms for 2.2, does it mean I need to have 2.2 first, or are the roms themselves already 2.2, and are they a full package with the appropriate radios etc., or would that too be something once I select a custom rom that I would have to update seperately?

I hope that wasn't confusing.

Thanks

Upvote 0
you dont need 2.2 to flash a custom rom. As long as you are rooted you are good.

I understand I dont need 2.2, I use to be rooted b4 and had Damage Control, but then one of theyre updates screwed up my phone, so I had to restore to stock, and now I do want 2.2.

So, with that said the question above still stands. :)

Upvote 0

thanks in advance.

Actually, the first thing you really need to do is a nandroid backup!! Then you can pick a rom and kernal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones