• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ok...not panicing, but I think I may have just completely screwed up my ROOTing effort...help?

First of all, please recognize that I'm a noob to Android in the extreme. The Evo is my first Android phone. So, to the problem....basically, the title of the thread says it all. I think I screwed up my Evo in an attempt to root it. I do believe that I took every precaution possible to get the job done and followed the directions line-by-line on the { [TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! No ADB, no fuss! } thread....but the problem arose toward the end.

Ok, at step 30, that went perfectly fine. I downloaded the ROM and saved it to my desktop (I'm on a Macbook Pro btw, in case that helps at all).

Step 31, this went well. I copied it over to my SD card.

Step 32 is where things started to mess up. I turned on the Evo and went into recovery mode, but the only options I was given were the Stock options, ie:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard: update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition

I was confused. I read and re-read the instructions over and over from the top and had done them all. Then, I got down to the bottom, and things were just being difficult right when I got here. I was incapable of loading the stock ROM. I booted the phone back up, renamed it to update.zip, and booted back into recovery and tried it again, only to get the same error.

"--install from sdcard...
finding update package...
verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
installation aborted..."

I got frustrated and decided to take a break and simply booted the phone up after a while, finding that I could actually kind of Use ROOT with the enrevoked application. I got excited at this point and figured nothing was wrong. i went ahead and tried to uninstall the unnecessary Sprint applications, only to find that I couldnt! I guess I didn't do it as well as I had thought afterall. :(

If anyone could tell me what I need to do at this point, or even just point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. I dont care about the applications or anything that I had previously on the phone, because I just tried testing some stuff out, and It seems that its getting worse (I can no longer listen to my mp3's and can no longer even access my SD card from Astro! Ahhhh!!! :eek:) Any and all help at this point would be graciously recieved! Thanks in advance everyone!!! :):):)

Edit: Rebooted my phone and can now access my SD card again, but everything else still stands, lol.

You don't change the stock rom to update.zip, download the file from step 29. It should be linked in the text that says (here) on that paragraph and point to "recovery-clockwork-1.8.1.7-supersonic.zip" (the website is down right now). You have to dl to your computer, rename it to update.zip. Place it in the root directory of your SD card. when you boot into the recovery mode. Update with that file. It will then allow you to boot into clockwork recovery. Then you can wipe your phone cache and data and partition.

Then whatever ROM you have dl'ed, Damage,Fresh, Baked can be flashed to the phone. It's pretty quick. The instructions are very wordy and there are lots of pics but, it is extremely helpful. You have look at the fine details because the links are embedded in the text of the instructions which is kinda hard to see sometimes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones