• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ok on my way to Droidium...???!!! hlp pls

virodeath

Dec 29, 2009
Alrighty then, all rooted up, have my Rom Manager installed, my Nandroid backup created and looking at the "Download ROM" option on the ROM Manager app. but I am still left with the "ok what does this stuff look like or how doest it work" thought in my head!

Now please before you roll your eyes and think I want you to do my homework it is totally not like that, i have been googling the last 24hrs for some kind organized site with some kind of structure or something. I mean this is 2010 I would think there would be a site that contains up to date videos of what things look like or do. I have joined just about every droid forum I can find hoping to find that magical location but I pretty much find a lot of changelogs with broken links and no pictures or links to videos. Well with the exception of boot animations, that seems to be the in thing currently and all that stuff is up to date.

So could one of you experienced "patient" forum members please explain what I am doing wrong in my search for finding out what ROM's actually look like and do.? And again I have been doing a ton of looking but I am really starting to get frustrated, I can't seem to look in the right area.

Thanks again for your help (in advance)

Viro

Hi there

Yeah there are a lot of ROMs to choose from but honestly most of the ROMS except for the "pre-themed" ROMS look pretty much a like. All Droid and XDA forums have most of the popular ROMS in sub forums where there are pictures of how the ROM look like. Not sure what format XDA uses but in All Droid there is a section called ROMS/Releases and most of the ROMS found there have pix of how the ROM looks like.

Hope that helps.

After you load up your first ROM, I almost guarantee you that you'll end up flashing a new one in a couple of days. In a couple of weeks, you'll probably end up trying out every ROM that's available in ROM manager.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply xmr, I ended up taking a shot in the dark with one of the Ultimate Droid selections but really didn't like it at all so am currently trying a different one.

I am pretty beat, like I said, I have been at this a very very long time (today) so I am calling it quits and heading to bed before I brick my phone by doing something dumb while tired.

I will look again through those areas, maybe I just wasn't looking for the correct things, I don't know. But anyhow thanks for responding!

Viro

Upvote 0
Good for you. I know how you feel man. I was in the same boat but when I rooted and flashed my first ROM, I didn't have the luxury of ROM manager. haha. Just for your reassurance, it's really really hard to brick a droid. Trust me I've had my fair share of boot loops and random force closes but my droid is still ticking. Just as long as you have custom recovery and back up often...you should be pretty safe.

Upvote 0
question I installed my first ROM last night, and in order to get permission from ROM Manager you have to use the their flash manager (very top button) then you have full access to ROM Manager however I noticed when you go to nandroid in the recovery menu under restore advance the file I created when doing my nandroid backup is no longer there and either is the option to select from list. It seems Cyan's has taken over, so if I want to restore from my "original Backup" do I have to go through all the hoop jumping like I did to get my nandroid backup in the first place? I suppose I can use Cyan's restore but when you select the file it asks what you want to restore and there is a list. I haven't found those instructions yet..

Thoughts?

Viro

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones