• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OK so now what?

Liberty 1.5 removes almost all of the blur, and is quite customizeable, and extremely fast
Apex 1.4 is the newest of Fabs roms (i currently run) and it has some blur but still runs pretty smooth

i would recommend trying both roms to get a feel for the one you want

those are the 2 most popular roms for the dx/d2

you can find more in our sticky on top of the page and look for roms :)

Upvote 0
First of all, before doing anything else, get the 'Droid X Bootstrapper' App...

Droid X Recovery Bootstrap - Android app on AppBrain

... and make yourself an nandroid or two. Once you've done that, you can go to work cutting out what ever you wish. And while I've done that in the past, Saint make a good point, ROMs that have cut out the bloat and blur run better than just removing the bloat and blur yourself. At least that's my experience.

Upvote 0
First of all, before doing anything else, get the 'Droid X Bootstrapper' App...

Droid X Recovery Bootstrap - Android app on AppBrain

... and make yourself an nandroid or two. Once you've done that, you can go to work cutting out what ever you wish. And while I've done that in the past, Saint make a good point, ROMs that have cut out the bloat and blur run better than just removing the bloat and blur yourself. At least that's my experience.

yup should have mentioned that first lol

Upvote 0
I will be the first to tell you to stay away from Liberty if you were running cyanogenmod...

it has too many bugs and you won't be happy with the speed vs reliability tradeoff

I have been running Apex almost religiously since I got my dx and I can say I've tried all the other roms, and Apex makes all the functions of your phone usable; everyday.

As for making a custom rom, you probably picked the worst phone for it...better off just using the tools your rom includes

Upvote 0
the only reason that its difficult for roms on the X is because of the bootloader, we have bypassed the bootloader, we just need a programmer to develop the drivers and guess what... full aosp vanilla roms, custom kernels etc. As of right now we are stuck with what we can do, but like i have seen in other posts everyone thought the X was going to get rooted, or custom roms/themes, well we have proven everyone wrong, once we are passed the bootloader issue (if we can) we will be set. just takes time and alot more skill to develop it

not tryin to bash you bud, the X isnt a bad phone, its a powerhouse, and the devs for this phone has some tremendous skill, fab and kejar have both done amazing jobs at what they have done with these roms, but in preference i like apex more because its less buggy, TO ME!
your phone may love liberty and run it flawlessly without a hiccup, its why you need to try these roms before you make a decision on something

Upvote 0
Nah, he should try BOTH out and see what works best for him. Apex doesn't work very well on my device. It does for many, but not for all. Liberty also works for many, but not for all.

+1
Liberty is a great rom, but for me and my X apex is even better less bugs (for my X) i think he should try every single one of them, and i do mean all of them, even the kennedy rom that requires you to be stock before you flash it.

Upvote 0
I just flashed Darkslide myself. I have to say it's a pretty sweet ROM, I like the theme. I'm just having problems with GoLauncher scrolling smoothly for me anymore. :(

It seemed to go to hell once GoLauncher EX was released. I was able to flash my GummyJAR nandroid with the original GoLauncher on it and it works good, but it only had 7 home screens. My GoLauncher EX version had grown to 11 screens. Perhaps thats just too many for the processors to handle cleanly?

Upvote 0
Back to stock! I haven't had any calls this week since i flashed apex so I had no idea that I had NO VOICE whatsoever. Was at Lake Seminole last night and had to go restore my backup. Good thing I had the company phone with me.

funny you mentioned that.... I just checked and found the same thing on mine... dammit! gotta do a restore, I guess...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones