1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Ok, stupid question, but how do you

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 3cutiger, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 3cutiger

3cutiger Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    back out of the stock music player for it to turn off? After listening to it, I back out of it, but it is still running in the back ground and I have to kill it with the stock task killer.

Advertisement

2. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Android keeps stuff running for easy recall later; it'll go off after non-use.

It most likely won't cause any instability.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Stopping it with a task manager/killer may only cause the service to restart. Sometimes it won't, but sometimes it will and the task killer will try again, creating a resource draining loop because the task killer itself is also draining things as it keeps restarting itself and the app/widget you're concerned with.

I just let the OS handle things, unless I notice slow down, then I'll go in and find out what's up, which is most often too many things running at once, in which case I'll go ahead and reboot the device.

4. ecc444

ecc444 Member
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Medical Device Sales - Southeast
    Tampa - West Palm
    The whole idea is to let you play music while your're multi-tasking on your phone. That said I do agree there should be a "quit" option like on Pandora or TuneIn Radio. Now the Music Player does mute itself while a call is in progress. My advice .... just use the drop down menu to control the player (note there is a CD DISC icon on top of the lock screen) or perhaps find a new music player in the market. A widget would be a nice feature. I like the way Pandora is set up.

5. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Stop the song, then back out of the app.

If the song is still playing, and you back out, the UI assumes you still want to listen to the song, while doing other things :)

6. 3cutiger

3cutiger Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010

But even if I stop the song and back out, it is still running in the background, unlike any other aps.

from other responses, guess it is designed to continually be in the background.

Just goes against my anal retentive nature I guess ;)

7. NKT

NKT Android Expert
    None

Feb 5, 2010
    That's just the thing. It isn't running in the background. If it's running it would be using CPU cycles. When you hit pause and hit home, the player stops but stays in RAM. If it's not using CPU cycles, it isn't using battery.

Android manages the RAM and will (most of the time) kill processes that are idle to free up RAM if more is required. Some people do this themselves using task killers.

It doesn't hurt anything to have it sitting in RAM, other than you won't see as much free.

8. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Grab your towel, and don't panic.

Yes, a portion of the app is still in RAM.

No, it's not "running" per se, as it's using no CPU cycles (Well, minimal, since it needs the CPU to poll it, etc).

It's sitting there (A portion) in RAM, waiting to be called again, ready where you left it. If you don't use it for a while, and RAM gets gobbled up by more recent processes, it will push it out of memory for you :)

9. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Student
    Yew Nork
    That's the thing with these phones. You can either let them do what they're supposed to do, or you can do the work for them. Seems like if you keep closing it, it'll actually use more battery than just letting it sit idle.

10. pullumpkin

pullumpkin Lurker
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    thinking advanced task killer might help, i love it.

11. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    NJ
    task killers and android is a no-no

they intefere with how android manages memory...despite what verizon will tell you in the store.

these phones are linux-based...no mini windows computers.

now you can use programs like minifree manager or autokiller (root for both) that will play nicely with androids memory management *IF* you know what your doing to mess with the free app settings and such

12. Skang

Skang Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    It runs on background even if you are not using it. This happened after the latest update.