1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Ok time for a noob question.....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Shurple, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    I think I've read the first 5 pages of the Droid3 forum lol!

Internal memory vs SD card:

Droid3 comes with 16gb. This is divided somehow? Can someone explain that to me? My old iphone4 had 16gb memory and I had all of my music on it, photos and some apps. Will it be different for a Droid3?

The SD card: VZW is letting me keep my Samsung Droid Charge memory card. I will format it so I am sure nothing corrupt comes to the new phone. Do you recommend I use the SD card for apps? or will everything fit on my phone?

Thanks !:p

edit: if i root, does anything above change? From what i read the internal memory is divided up (but i dont understand what that means). If I root can I control how the memory is used?

Advertisement

2. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm not 100% sure but I think its like 2.11gigs for application data and 12.1 for other things such as music and pictures. Then the rest I have no idea.

As for rooting you can't change it, I don't even think you could with a custom ROM but yet again not 100% sure.

Shurple likes this.
  3. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    luckily most devs now are allowing apps2sd. Or if they dont allow app2sd, what theyre doing is putting the base 5 - 20 megs on the phone and making the install automatically put the rest of the info on the sdcard.

so no worries, it would take alot to fill up that 2 gigs for apps.

Shurple likes this.
  4. dsw361

dsw361 Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    I put my old 16gb sdcard out of my Droid 1 in my Droid 3 and i dont think it really matters witch one you use, besides preference for organization. They're both sdcards, one is just built into the phone.

Shurple likes this.