• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ok, tired of the software defaults on this phone. (lock screen and drop down screen)

redfishsc

Oct 10, 2011
Living room
Folks, anyone else just tired of the software on this thing?

The drop-down menu doesn't have a quick on/off for WiFi. They have a quick link to the WiFi settings, but not an actual on/off for WiFi. They DO have one for 4G, GPS, Bluetooth, Airplane, and silent. Not WiFi, which is the most used button on every other device I've had. And, you can't customize it.

I have an older LG Viper that will let you swap those quick buttons around and customize it. Would it have been so hard to add them to this phone?

Are there any apps for this slide-down screen? I'm not even sure what that screen is called.

Also, the lock screen is a joke. Tap twice in the same spot? You mean, exactly the same way your leg might tap the same spot twice in your pocket? Really? And, every button on this phone wakes it up, meaning it's very easy to unlock this phone by accident.

I have installed MagicLocker, but even it is buggy. Frequently, when I wake the phone up, I get the default lock screen instead of the Magic Locker custom.

I don't know the particular phone, but if it's running Jelly Bean, try pulling the notification bar down with 2 fingers, Press the pencil and you'll be able to edit which buttons you get with a one-finger pulldown.

Otherwise, look in the Play store for "power widgets". Thiose are the ones that let you turn wifi, Bluetooth, 3G, 4G, GPS, etc., on and off. Some of them, as you say, are just shortcuts to the settings menus, buyt somme of them actually work to turn stuff on and off. Most of them are free, so turn on your wifi and start downloading and trying. Some of them are jusr homescreen widgets, some of them install into the notification bar.

Upvote 0
ive never had mine unlock in my pocket... and you can do pin lock/facial recognition/drawing lock, like any other android phone..

you wont be able to change the status bar as far as i know, when samsung released their bad ass one with the galaxy line, i tried to steal the apk multiple times and it never worked. good luck.

Upvote 0

The drop-down menu doesn't have a quick on/off for WiFi. They have a quick link to the WiFi settings, but not an actual on/off for WiFi. They DO have one for 4G, GPS, Bluetooth, Airplane, and silent. Not WiFi, which is the most used button on every other device I've had. And, you can't customize it.

I have an older LG Viper that will let you swap those quick buttons around and customize it. Would it have been so hard to add them to this phone?

Are there any apps for this slide-down screen? I'm not even sure what that screen is called.

Also, the lock screen is a joke. Tap twice in the same spot? You mean, exactly the same way your leg might tap the same spot twice in your pocket? Really? And, every button on this phone wakes it up, meaning it's very easy to unlock this phone by accident.

I have installed MagicLocker, but even it is buggy. Frequently, when I wake the phone up, I get the default lock screen instead of the Magic Locker custom.

Try Notification toggle. It allows you to put pretty much anything in the slide down notification area.

I also felt that a wifi toggle mising from that screen was stupid. The phone comes with a power control widget, that basically duplicates all of the buttons in the notification drawer and adds wifi. But it's not as good as having it all in one place.

I have a PIN on my phone. So no wierd wakeups, but everytime I want to use the phone I have to enter my PIN, and that's kind of annoying. But I guess if anybody steals it, it'll give em hell...

Upvote 0
I use power toggles for another row of toggles that do what I need to do. If I put the phone in my shirt pocket I don't have any problems with it unlocking itself. If it is in my pants pocket amd I am working - wow, I send gibberish texts, take pictures, and do all kinds of crap. I hate the lockscreen. I don't want to use a pin or pattern lock. I wish the text message pop-up would actually turn off. If I get a text while the phone is in my pocket then it is on and does all kinds of stupid stuff.

That being said, I still like the phone...

Upvote 0

I agree I like the phone. But that's one of the worst feature of the phone. Mines unlocked many times in my pocket. For that reason I use Widget Locker.

Upvote 0
i had the same problem with the pocket unlocking. had to enable the pattern unlock screen which is annoying but was the only way i could get the phone to stop unlocking and going nuts in my pocket. i'd be sending texts, emails, or the worst was getting the phone out of my pocket and find it 3 or 4 menus deep into the settings and have no idea what had been changed or not changed.

along these lines, the option for disabling the side button is very disappointing. even when it is disabled it still wakes the phone up. not a huge problem because i have the the pattern screen enabled but i wish that disabled was in fact disabled.

for the wifi on/off control, the power control widget is just as handy as the drop down menu for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones