1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Ok to delete?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jpstarn, May 18, 2016.

1. jpstarn

jpstarn Lurker
    None

May 13, 2016
    Female
    I've moved all of my photos to the sd card on my phone. Playing around in files, I found a thumbnail folder under device storage, DCIM. It's thumbnails of all my pictures. I deleted a couple from the folder and haven't noticed any change in my gallery. Is it OK to delete all the thumbnails? See screen shot below. Thanks! Still learning androids, lol!

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Yep but pointless as the system will just recreate them when you look at any of your pics in the gallery. You do know what thumbnails are for right?

3. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Oct 14, 2009
    what are the thumbnails for?

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    They're ultra-low-res representations of the actual photos and videos stored in your phone. As the actual media files are typically saved at a relatively high resolution, for apps like a photo gallery or file manager to be able to quickly present you with a pseudo-contact sheet of your media files they rely on these low res 'thumbnail' images. The thumbnail folder may appear to be hogging up storage space because it may hold hundreds or even thousands of files in it but they're all pretty small in size. Even if you wipe the folder clean it's just a short term fix as the first time you start up an app that needs those thumbnails, they will just get restored again.

lunatic59, Mikestony and KOLIO like this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.