1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

OK what's is the Major Technology Difference

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by richmatthews76, Dec 24, 2013.

1. richmatthews76

richmatthews76 Well-Known Member

OK here I am a retired IT person but I am going to ask this anyway? So put to me in layman's terms what's the difference between the technology Verizon (CDMA) I believe and say T Mobile and ATT is it called (GSM) ? Is this in the phone or a protocol or something completely different? If this is elementary sorry I have been tout fishing in the woods of Montana rather than follow technology since I retired. I must admit sometime I do miss it so? Never boring always changing you young folks are lucky you have amazing things coming in your lifetime. Sorry if this sounds sentimental..... LOL

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. This question spans all carriers and I moved it from the Verizon forum to Android Lounge so it will be shared by all communities.

... Thom

iowabowtech and Mikestony like this.
  3. richmatthews76

richmatthews76 Well-Known Member

Thank you again.

4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

mikeca, kate, El Presidente and 6 others like this.
  5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Good find Mike! The second page has one of the easiest-to-understand descriptions of the protocol differences I've seen..... bookmarked for my own reference, thanks.

argedion and Mikestony like this.
  6. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

I suppose we in the UK should be grateful the European Union made GSM the EU standard. A case of mobile technology wise we have it much better than the US. A superb explanation found by Mikestony.

Mikestony likes this.
  7. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Down the road with LTE only phones it should be a little better in the US, although the networks use different types of LTE.