• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Okay...got it today

TXBamanut

Aug 15, 2010
AFter a harrowing (dramatic, but true) experience with wirefly which basically ended up with Verizon cutting off our service BEFORE our AT&T Captivates even arrived...exacerbated by the facts that our home phone was out and we were waiting on someone to call our now dead cell # to set up a time to come repair our line...I'll leave it there, because there's loads more, but we don't have enough pixels.

Incidentally, wirefly was prompt in response to us reporting this and is sending us each a bluetooth headset...they get points for that.

All that said...Captivate in hand.

GPS...does not work...at all. I look up something on google for gps fix and someone says "download GPS Status and run it...it will unfreeze your gps."

D/L'ed it, ran it and it might not be the universal solution, but it worked for me. All of a sudden, I go from "0" satellites in view to 4-6 in view, INSIDE MY HOUSE and I couldn't see ANY sats OUTSIDE my house before. I'll take the "fix" for as long as it works. Yes it was accurate (one time, it actually had me sitting almost EXACTLY where I was in my house as I zoomed in on Google maps).

Incidentally....new update of Google maps enables navigation within that app for free...nice.

The Captivate: Yeah...you guys were right...I like it so far. If the GPS holds out AND/OR the GPS fix from Samsung/AT&T AND/OR the Froyo update comes, I'm good with it.

Incidentally, wirefly was prompt in response to us reporting this and is sending us each a bluetooth headset...they get points for that.
Wirefly must have a gigantic bin of surplus bluetooth headsets ready to go, because it's their standard solution to everything. In fact their customer service is so bad I wouldn't be surprised if they automatically have one packaged and ready to ship out for each customer just in case :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones